Collapse
No announcement yet.

On This Day: Margarito scored tainted win over Cotto

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this fight will always be in question. Margarito getting busted w/ the plaster before the Shane fight, getting thoroughly beat up by Shane...the beating Margarito laid on Cotto was definitely an outlier, and was suspect during the fight. It looked like Margs was hitting Cotto with hands of brick

Comment

Originally posted by JFalu View Post
      There was evidence that he had loaded wraps. Everyone knows this. The outcome of their rematch showed who the better boxer is.
      The rematch showed what happened when Margarito got his eye opened up and messed up, man I really don't believe he used loaded gloves against Cotto I just think his style is all wrong for Cotto.
      Even in the rematch Marg was still touching him up.

Comment

Still remember this day like it was yesterday! Fahkin years fly by like a mofo!

I have this date tattooed on me; the day Cotto got what he deserved... a good ass whopping.

Long Live Boss of Bosses, MarGODrito!

Wish Maniac was here to celebrate this day

Comment

you have no proof to charge margacheato of foul play in this fight. oh but years later vs mosley bla bla ..b.s.

Comment

Originally posted by Son Of Fraud View Post
            The rematch showed what happened when Margarito got his eye opened up and messed up, man I really don't believe he used loaded gloves against Cotto I just think his style is all wrong for Cotto.
            Even in the rematch Marg was still touching him up.
            Granted, Margarito had no respect for Miguel and was willing to walk through whatever he had in order to break him down. He was one tough mother****er.

But. . . The manner of the Cintron win was suspect. That was the first fight that I recall that made no sense to me. Emmanuel Stewart later said that shortly after the fight he suspected that Margarito had loaded his gloves.

Once again granted, there's no proof of that but are we to believe that the first time Margarito loads his wraps he gets caught? And if so, why would he load his wraps against a fighter in Shane Mosley who's considered past his best, has taken losses and who he's favourite to beat yet against Cotto, where he's not expected to win, in the biggest fight of his career, against an undeafeted P4P fighter, with national pride at stake in a fight that catapults him to another level should he win . . . he goes in clean?
            Last edited by - Ram Raid -; 07-26-2016, 09:30 AM.

Comment

It is a ****ing shame that Margarito/Mosley will always cast a shadow over this fight, because it was a GREAT fight.

And the rematch proved nothing either way. Margarito was way past it and his eye was ****ed beyond help. He still had moments, too.

Comment

Tainted? where is the proof?

Comment

Originally posted by NaijaD View Post
                  I don't get how people can say the win is not tainted, granted Cotto was getting abit uncomfortable in the latter stages of the rematch BUT since their first fight Margarito has not stopped anyone, to me there seemed to be a stark difference in his power. His power punches had less of an effect on Mosley than Floyd's did. He went from destroying Cintron twice, almost beating Williams (who was as durable as they come at 147) to not being able to put a dent in Journeymen. I watched his fight against Golden Johnson, the uppercut he dropped him with was so hard that Johnson was holding his head in pain lol.

We all have our opinions though at the end of the day, I don't think anyone can dismiss the other side of the argument.
                  Which is contrary to the old boxing adage that power is the last thing to go. In fact not only has he not stopped anyone he's not won a single fight of note since Richardson caught him in the act.

The sad thing for me is that after the fact he was rewarded with two of the biggest paydays in his career because he could play the bad guy which promoters and the commissions exploited for profit.

Comment

Originally posted by - Ram Raid - View Post
                    Granted, Margarito had no respect for Miguel and was willing to walk through whatever he had in order to break him down. He was one tough mother****er.

But. . . The manner of the Cintron win was suspect. That was the first fight that I recall that made no sense to me. Emmanuel Stewart later said that shortly after the fight he suspected that Margarito had loaded his gloves.

Once again granted, there's no proof of that but are we to believe that the first time Margarito loads his wraps he gets caught? And if so, why would he load his wraps against a fighter in Shane Mosley who's considered past his best, has taken losses and who he's favourite to beat yet against Cotto, where he's not expected to win, in the biggest fight of his career, against an undeafeted P4P fighter, with national pride at stake in a fight that catapults him to another level should he win . . . he goes in clean?
                    Perhaps because Mosley was already a known admitted PED user.

Comment

Originally posted by - Ram Raid - View Post
                      Which is contrary to the old boxing adage that power is the last thing to go. In fact not only has he not stopped anyone he's not won a single fight of note since Richardson caught him in the act.

The sad thing for me is that after the fact he was rewarded with two of the biggest paydays in his career because he could play the bad guy which promoters and the commissions exploited for profit.
                      He wasn't a power hitter though. He was an accumulation puncher. But lets be real. As much as he battered Cotto in the first fight, he went through hell to grab that w. Alot was taken out of Margarito in that fight. Cotto brought everything in that fight and I believe that those two guys who took a piece of eachother that night, had they faced floyd that night instead of eachother, would have beat Floyd. Cotto was fast, sharp and precise. Tony fought the best fight of his life.

Comment

Working...
                      X