No announcement yet.

Oscar Valdez vs Abner Mares/Leo Santa Cruz

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oscar Valdez vs Abner Mares/Leo Santa Cruz

After disposing of Ramirez in a more brutal and quicker route than Abner and Lomachenko themselves this past weekend, Oscar is well on his way to a world class opponent in the not so distant future. Now I understand that Oscar is a TR promoted fighter and Abner/Cruz are both handled by the mysterious Haymon, however these are merely fights I would love to see happen at one point in the future.

Since his brutal loss to Jhonny a few years back, the string of opponents Abner has engaged against is depressingly subpar. In 2 of the 3 fights he was showcased in he looked like a mere shell of his former self. The only time he showed glimpses of a confident Mares was against a common opponent with Valdez, Ramirez. Although Mares managed to break Ramirez down by the 5th, Ramirez was landing on Mares as well, exchanging some hellacious fire with the once highly touted fighter throughout their scrap.

To add fuel to the fire, Oscar and Abner were once under Espinoza. And if memory serves me correctly, under the same trainer. I honestly believe a fight between them would be a fight of the year candidate due to their offensive styles and limited defensive abilities.

Cruz on the other twitchy hand, has seen better days himself. Once a highly regarded up and comer and formidable champion has now been reduced to a mere snicker amongst boxing fans. His laughable hitlist for the past few years has been, if anything, atrocious to say the least. In fact, aside from Mijares and Terrazas, you'd be hard pressed to find any notable opponents in Leo's resume. An astonishing feat, seeing as how he is an undefeated fighter and a 2 time, 2 weight division world champion.

Although he's still planning to make the jump to 126, a showdown between Cruz and Valdez would be an all out slugfest affair, twitchy hands and all. Although Cruz seems to lack true power, his world class motor allows him to wear down his overmatched opponents and force them to submission over the course of the fight. This fight would not only test Oscar's endurance, but his will and determination as well. Great fight where both men would be pushed to their limits. I happen to favor Valdez in this one but Leo's little engine that could might prove to be too much for a younger Valdez.

What are your thoughts on both fights and which one do you prefer? Can Valdez overcome both fighters or does he succumb to one or the other? Is Valdez ready for such tests or does he have some more seasoning to undergo before taking on such names?
    Last edited by Aztekkas; 04-14-2015, 12:25 PM.

Im a fan of both fighters . id say valdez defense is better than Mares at this point. Valdez still green though. i think late 2016 would be a good date for them to meet though

Comment

Valdez is a good young fighter but IMO these 2 guys would be a huge step up for him and he would lose both.

I would give him a better chance against Mares only because Mares hasn't looked the same to me in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleto_Reyes View Post
        Im a fan of both fighters . id say valdez defense is better than Mares at this point. Valdez still green though. i think late 2016 would be a good date for them to meet though
        Oscar's body assault is vicious, that left hook to the liver is something else. Although Mares is one of my favorite fighters, I wouldn't favor him in this fight at this point. Valdez is a sharp power puncher and can pump out a solid jab to work behind if he pleases. Mares is their to be hit but can take a solid punch and is willing to take a few to land his own. I couldn't call it if it went down but i'm certain the fight would be a FOTY candidate for sure.

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
        Valdez is a good young fighter but IMO these 2 guys would be a huge step up for him and he would lose both.

I would give him a better chance against Mares only because Mares hasn't looked the same to me in a while.
        I would agree at some point in the past but it seems like Leo and Mares have regressed in regards to their skills. Mares was being outworked by a feaherfisted sparring partner and Leo has been fighting opposition fit for a prospect. In fact, one of his latest opponents just lost to Oscar de la Hoya's cousin, whom happens to be a prospect, not too long ago. Fighting limited opposition might be he wrench in Cruz's/Mares' career at this point, I believe that factor would somewhat even up the playing field.

Comment

Originally posted by Aztekkas View Post
          Oscar's body assault is vicious, that left hook to the liver is something else.
          Agree with you on that.

Valdez has a really nice left hook to the body, and he goes to it consistently.

I'd like to see him sharpen up his right hand a bit, but he's got a very good left that will carry him a long way.

Comment

Originally posted by Aztekkas View Post
            Oscar's body assault is vicious, that left hook to the liver is something else. Although Mares is one of my favorite fighters, I wouldn't favor him in this fight at this point. Valdez is a sharp power puncher and can pump out a solid jab to work behind if he pleases. Mares is their to be hit but can take a solid punch and is willing to take a few to land his own. I couldn't call it if it went down but i'm certain the fight would be a FOTY candidate for sure.

I would agree at some point in the past but it seems like Leo and Mares have regressed in regards to their skills. Mares was being outworked by a feaherfisted sparring partner and Leo has been fighting opposition fit for a prospect. In fact, one of his latest opponents just lost to Oscar de la Hoya's cousin, whom happens to be a prospect, not too long ago. Fighting limited opposition might be he wrench in Cruz's/Mares' career at this point, I believe that factor would somewhat even up the playing field.
            LSC is getting all tune ups but his skills haven't regressed IMO. Mares looks tentative, cautious and is lucky his last fight was against a dude that had no pop. If Russell or LSC had been hitting Mares like that he'd have gotten KTFO.

Valdez is really good though. I think he is 2 or 3 fights away from challenging for a title.

Comment

Working...
            X