• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jimmy Britt

The Oakland Tribune
    22 July 1905

Who Will Fight Him Next
    By Ed. Smith

Jimmy Britt has once more shown that he is entitled to all the credit given him as a champion pugilist. Last night, as predicted In THE TRIBUNE a week ago today, he won from Kid Sullivan by continually Jabbing him and getting away before the Kid could land his sleep producing punch.

Sullivan tried hard all through the contest to land a knockout blow on Britt, but was not fast enough with It. In fact, the Kid telegraphs the punch long before letting it go, and the only time he could land it on the ever nimble Britt was in the mix-ups, In which Sullivan was particularly strong. Sullivan's footwork is bad. He stands too flat on his feet, and spreads his legs apart to such an extent that Britt could jab and get away before the Baltimore boy could get started into his counter.

Sullivan won the admiration of the crowd by his clean boxing and fairness. In the fifteenth round he slipped ;to his knees and his gloves were covered with resin. When he got to his feet, the Kid stepped back and wiped them off on his trunks, which was a very fair and gentlemanly act. In-years gone by George Dawson, the Australian, made a practice of falling and covering his gloves with resin, that he might cut his opponent up, but that is not Sullivan's tactics.

When the men entered the ring and stripped for action, one could not help noticing the condition of the pair. Britt was tanned; in fact, he looked better to me last night than ever before.

When Sullivan entered, wrapped in a colored bath robe, he reminded one of the one-time demon, Joe Walcott. He is squatty and broad and walked around the ring trying the floor just as the dark-skinned fighter used to do. During the time that the borers posed for their photos It was noticeable that Sullivan eyed Britt from head to foot, while Jimmy glanced restlessly around at the crowd. When the smoke from the flashlight had cleared away, the gong rang and the men started.

In the first round they sparred around, sizing each other up. Britt did most of the leading and seemed very confident.

In the second round Britt started to peg away with his left at the Kid's head and body. Sullivan surprised the crowd by his clever blocking, and in the first real mix-up of the contest, near the end of the second round, showed he was not to be trifled with and that at that kind of milling would have as good a chance as Britt. Just at the close of the round Jimmy landed several straight lefts to the face, and the Kid went to his corner with his nose bleeding.

The third round Sullivan misled from his comer and chased Britt around the ring until he cornered him; then Jimmy turned and fought his way into a clinch. Britt steadied down and used his left to good advantage, leading and getting away from the Kid before the latter had time to steady himself.

Fourth round . Sullivan showed a. little disposition to lead and kept poking at Britt most of the round. Near the end of the period Britt shoved the Kid against the ropes and they mixed It . The Kid landed his right in Jimmy’s mid-section and the local boy winced and twisted his face, showing the force that the blow had.

Round five opened with Britt pegging away with his left and getting away or going into a clinch.

Sullivan tried hard in the clinches to use the right hand kidney punch, and, although Britt used great judgment in the way he held Sullivan, the Kid landed several In every round during the contest. Just at the close of the round Britt registered a left swing that shook Sullivan up considerably.

part 2

The sixth round found Britt still doing the leading, which seemed to be his instructions from his corner, in order that Sullivan could not get a chance to rush. Sullivan, on account of poor footwork, misses many good openings. In the seventh round Britt showed more aggressiveness and wanted to mix up from the tap of the bell. He used his straight left to the head and left hook to stomach with good effect.

Near the close of the round Sullivan caught Britt a clip on the chin, which staggered ,the local boy. The Kid was on top of him in a second, swinging right and left.

The only knockdown of the contest was in the eighth, when Britt brought Sullivan to the mat with a left and right to the Jaw. The Kid took the count of nine and stalled for a short time after getting up. But at the end of the round he was forcing Jimmy around the ring. From this round to the sixteenth It was this: Sullivan would walk after Britt, while Jimmy would use his left on the head and body and dance away before Sullivan could get set.

The crowd hooted Jimmy several times, calling to him to stand up and fight, but Britt paid no attention to them, and fought a very brainy fight. Herford sent his man in to take a chance in the sixteenth, and, although the game and willing Sullivan tried hard, Britt seemed .to have his fighting form down by this time, and it was another case of brains and cleverness winning over brute strength.

From this time to the end of the contest, both men tried for a knockout, Sullivan, on account of his poor footwork, lost many good openings. Britt landed on jaw often, but did not seem to hurt the Washington lad much. When, at the end of the twentieth round, Referee Welch gave the decision to Britt the crowd went wild. Britt certainly earned the decision, and, In my estimation, put up one of the greatest contests of his career. Sullivan was a tough opponent, and those who said he was a "bum" and that Britt was picking easy game must be feeling rather crest fallen.

BY JIMMY BRITT

Sullivan proved a rough customer and a game fellow. He possess a good wallop In either hand, and when he landed I felt his punches. He fought a clean fight and was always willing to mix things. I think I accommodated him somewhat, but I refrained from doing too much mixing, as I figured I have a contract with Nelson on my Hands and I wanted to win and I could not take any chances. There was no time in. the fight that I was in danger. My confidence of ultimately winning never left me, and, although I could not knock him out, I wore him down and won the decision. He was hard to reach with my left body punch and I switched to straight lefts for his sore nose and used my right with more frequency than I ever did before. Sullivan proved his gameness, because I punished him throughout the battle. Nelson next, and-I will win as before. Sullivan is a more dangerous man than the Swede, in my opinion.

BY KID SULLIVAN

If I had. not injured my left hand in the tenth round, I would have beaten Britt I landed a heavy one on his elbow and my hand hurt me. Although I used the left after that, I did not dare to use It with any great force. Britt Is a good fighter. He is a cleverer man than Nelson, but does not hit as hard as the Swede. I can beat Britt in a finish fight and I would like to take him on again. I had a very good chance of winning up to the time I Injured my hand. I am sorry the decision went against me, but I tried hard to bring home the money. Britt was faster than I, I guess. He is one of the best men I ever fought and he will make all the lightweights step lively. My condition was perfect, and I received fair treatment. I like this town and would like to stay here a while and get another fight when me when my hand gets well.

Comment

Originally posted by rob snell View Post
      The sixth round found Britt still doing the leading, which seemed to be his instructions from his corner, in order that Sullivan could not get a chance to rush. Sullivan, on account of poor footwork, misses many good openings. In the seventh round Britt showed more aggressiveness and wanted to mix up from the tap of the bell. He used his straight left to the head and left hook to stomach with good effect.

Near the close of the round Sullivan caught Britt a clip on the chin, which staggered ,the local boy. The Kid was on top of him in a second, swinging right and left.

The only knockdown of the contest was in the eighth, when Britt brought Sullivan to the mat with a left and right to the Jaw. The Kid took the count of nine and stalled for a short time after getting up. But at the end of the round he was forcing Jimmy around the ring. From this round to the sixteenth It was this: Sullivan would walk after Britt, while Jimmy would use his left on the head and body and dance away before Sullivan could get set.

The crowd hooted Jimmy several times, calling to him to stand up and fight, but Britt paid no attention to them, and fought a very brainy fight. Herford sent his man in to take a chance in the sixteenth, and, although the game and willing Sullivan tried hard, Britt seemed .to have his fighting form down by this time, and it was another case of brains and cleverness winning over brute strength.

From this time to the end of the contest, both men tried for a knockout, Sullivan, on account of his poor footwork, lost many good openings. Britt landed on jaw often, but did not seem to hurt the Washington lad much. When, at the end of the twentieth round, Referee Welch gave the decision to Britt the crowd went wild. Britt certainly earned the decision, and, In my estimation, put up one of the greatest contests of his career. Sullivan was a tough opponent, and those who said he was a "bum" and that Britt was picking easy game must be feeling rather crest fallen.

BY JIMMY BRITT

Sullivan proved a rough customer and a game fellow. He possess a good wallop In either hand, and when he landed I felt his punches. He fought a clean fight and was always willing to mix things. I think I accommodated him somewhat, but I refrained from doing too much mixing, as I figured I have a contract with Nelson on my Hands and I wanted to win and I could not take any chances. There was no time in. the fight that I was in danger. My confidence of ultimately winning never left me, and, although I could not knock him out, I wore him down and won the decision. He was hard to reach with my left body punch and I switched to straight lefts for his sore nose and used my right with more frequency than I ever did before. Sullivan proved his gameness, because I punished him throughout the battle. Nelson next, and-I will win as before. Sullivan is a more dangerous man than the Swede, in my opinion.

BY KID SULLIVAN

If I had. not injured my left hand in the tenth round, I would have beaten Britt I landed a heavy one on his elbow and my hand hurt me. Although I used the left after that, I did not dare to use It with any great force. Britt Is a good fighter. He is a cleverer man than Nelson, but does not hit as hard as the Swede. I can beat Britt in a finish fight and I would like to take him on again. I had a very good chance of winning up to the time I Injured my hand. I am sorry the decision went against me, but I tried hard to bring home the money. Britt was faster than I, I guess. He is one of the best men I ever fought and he will make all the lightweights step lively. My condition was perfect, and I received fair treatment. I like this town and would like to stay here a while and get another fight when me when my hand gets well.
      Well done Rob, good thread, I wish there were more like it,,,, welcome

Comment

cheers

more on the way mate

Comment

Originally posted by rob snell View Post
          more on the way mate
          Cool, I have a lot of links for sources and books, I'd be happy to help anytime. You have livened up the place.

Comment

Working...
          X