No announcement yet.

I agree with this dude regarding Diaz

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I agree with this dude regarding Diaz

And everybody's mad at the tiger, talking about the tiger went crazy. That tiger ain't go crazy. That tiger went tiger." - Chris Rock, on the tiger that attacked a member of Siegfried and Roy during a performance.

I don't fault the UFC for removing Nick Diaz from the main event of UFC 137. Diaz, according to UFC President Dana White, promised he would meet his media obligations set by the UFC. The company bought Diaz three tickets for three separate flights, and Diaz failed to board any of them. Diaz directly cost the promotion money, and at some point you have to say enough is enough.

That said, the UFC knew what they were getting when they got back into the Nick Diaz business. Whether you believe Diaz suffers from debilitating social anxiety or whether you think he's just a selfish *******, no one can claim they were surprised to hear that Diaz stayed at home (or, rather, escaped out Cesar Gracie's back door) instead of making trips to Toronto and Las Vegas.

White expressed the sentiment at yesterday's press conference. "I knew what I was getting into when you get Nick Diaz," White said. "I didn't expect this, but I expected some problems and some headaches over the next couple months."

The UFC sticking Nick Diaz in the main event of a major pay-per-view and being surprised when he doesn't show up for media appearances is like letting your mooch of a brother stay at your house and feeling outraged when he doesn't earn his keep even though he promised to chip in every month.

As a result, I can't find it in myself to feel outraged. Where Josh Gross chooses to scold Diaz for not being a professional, for not showing up to press conferences, for acting like a child, I choose to ask, why schedule a press conference at all? And why does the media feel entitled to unmitigated access to the athletes it covers?

I don't believe an athlete has an obligation to do media. If an athlete wants to do media, that's great. It's a bonus. It's part of their marketability. The athlete's only responsibility, in my eyes, is to show up on gameday and perform. That's what they're paid to do.

Because, if we're being honest, the majority of athlete-media interaction is trite and banal. Georges St. Pierre is a perfect example. Had we Diaz shown up either of the past two days, would anyone have turned down a bet that GSP said something about Diaz being the "toughest opponent he's ever faced"? Or that this will be the "best Georges St. Pierre you've ever seen"?

It's the promoter's job to drum up interest in the fight, and the UFC failed as much as anyone here because they expected Diaz's square peg to fit into the UFC's round hole. The last two days could have been accomplished in a single conference call, a situation that Cesar Gracie, Diaz's trainer/manager, could coax his fighter into.

Diaz isn't blameless, of course. He promised something, he failed to deliver, and he's facing the repercussions. But why was he even put into that position in the first place? Why do we expect our athletes to perform, in Diaz's words, in a beauty pageant? The only thing I wanted to see from Diaz is what he offered Georges St. Pierre on October 29 in Las Vegas.

Comment

Originally posted by kaps View Post
      What do you think about him as a boxer,i think he is nut the divisions he could fight in are some of the deepest in the sport 168 might be the best actually.

Comment

http://themmahaus.blogspot.com/2011/...ne-of-mma.html

Nick Diaz and the Decline of MMA

In historic times a fighter with no masters that fought with a blood and guts mentality of no surrender was idolized and admired for possessing uncommon courage, and for giving inspiration to the working man who struggled through his daily life.

In modern times that fighter has proven to be Nick Diaz, and, barring a disingenuous agenda, no one can honestly deny that his fight history fulfills such a billing.

A fighter such as Nick Diaz is the physical manifestation of the truly independent and rugged, the type who will see a job is done, blood and bruises be damned, with not a single moment of pouting self-pity through the adversity of the battle at hand. And, more often than not, such a mentality has led his hand to be raised in victory when the dust of the fight has cleared.

In more traditional times, Nick Diaz would have been rallied around by young and old of all creeds and colors as his fighting spirit was given tribute for the inspiration it provided. Children would have called him “Hero” as their fathers and mothers smiled at the notion of their sons and daughters developing the same uncompromising will of determination that Diaz shows every time he steps into a fight.

But somewhere along the line things have distorted. No longer is a man such as Nick Diaz revered for his tenaciously independent traits, rather, he is disrespected for them. People now see a person who has no interest in bowing to a corporate master and they scoff and scorn with contempt for their fellow man that refuses to be assimilated into the corporate Borg they have so willfully embraced. The flame of righteous rebellion has lost its status as a badge of courage, replaced by a groveling love for the chains of corporate control.

Fighters such as Nick Diaz are quickly becoming an antiquated idea in the mind of the collective, and are being replaced by poster boys of a primmed and delicate design, precisely tuned for their given purpose of serving their company master’s goal of increasing his own profit margin.

No longer do the corporate CEO thugs and mobsters wish to promote champions of righteous guts and glory, preferring instead controlled commodities, gelded of their independence and cast from the sheepish mold of A Brave New World.

And it seems those who have been traditionally tasked with keeping in check those natural impulses of a corporate dictatorship run wild, the people, have become perfectly excited at allowing to take place this destruction of what a fighter used to be, what a fighter should be.

Comment

Originally posted by MARKBNLV View Post
          What do you think about him as a boxer,i think he is nut the divisions he could fight in are some of the deepest in the sport 168 might be the best actually.
          I think he'll get schooled actually. He has a name so he'll start off Fighting names which is a mistake IMO. Like Hopkins said...

“You cannot take a shark out of the water and throw him in the jungle vs a lion. He will be destroyed. And if you put a lion in the water vs a shark the lion will be destroyed. Just like boxing and MMA – they are two totally different animals. We need to remember that.”

Comment

Originally posted by kaps View Post
            I think he'll get schooled actually. He has a name so he'll start off Fighting names which is a mistake IMO. Like Hopkins said...
            I wonder if there is a shot in hell of him being Penns opponent,that would be cooler to me then a gsp fight anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by MARKBNLV View Post
              I wonder if there is a shot in hell of him being Penns opponent,that would be cooler to me then a gsp fight anyway.
              I'm hearing Rumors that it might be Hughes......again...

Comment

The article is dumb. The reason that this sport exists in such a big way today, with so many competitors and such a high skill level is because of the corporations.

Nick likes getting paid to fight? He likes fighting the best competition out there? Then follow the ****ing rules of the people PAYING you to ****in fight. That's what makes kaps picture even funnier. "he just wants to get paid!" lol ok then do your damn job.

These media dates are not optional, and it's not a beauty pageant. They are tools of the UFC to build the fan base and make money. And it's not an entirely self serving making money either. The more money they make the more money they can pay the fighters. It's not a coincidence that fighter salaries have been going up since the first UFC.

The fighters are not paid just to show up in the ring and fight. They are an extension of the company, they are an extension of the MMA world and for it to grow mma fighters and corporations need to work together.

Comment

Working...
                X