Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dariusz Michalczewski's 24 consecutive title defenses doesn't get enough praise

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dariusz Michalczewski's 24 consecutive title defenses doesn't get enough praise

Everyone is always on B-hop or Calzaghe's nuts about their title defense records while Michalczewski has certainly defended against better opposition than Joe for sure and you could maybe even argue better opponents than B-hop did at MW collectively.....he also had more successful defenses of his WBO LHW title than both.

that's because

-he's not American
    - a part of his reign coincided with the reign of Jones

that's my take

I too believe he deserves a lot more credit/attention than he is given

Comment

he never unified and never fought outside of germany. B-hop & even calzaghe did.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
        he never unified and never fought outside of germany. B-hop & even calzaghe did.
        didn't he unify with Hill ?

Comment

Originally posted by Tiozzo View Post
          didn't he unify with Hill ?
          actually you may be right on that but he only defended one belt after that.

He was a good fighter but imo it's the same reason sven ottke doesn't get much props for his 21 title defenses - all in germany and didn't fight the best fighters.

Now Dariusz WAS better than that and his fight with Hill was a great win which is far better than anything ottke did, just sayin. Defending a single belt for years in germany is the reason.

Comment

It shouldn't matter where he fought, he beat some good fighters many of whom by ko.

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
              It shouldn't matter where he fought, he beat some good fighters many of whom by ko.
              I'm not saying he didn't beat any good fighters, he did, but you asked the question why he doesn't get more props. it's obvious why imo

Comment

He was a good fighter but imo it's the same reason sven ottke doesn't get much props for his 21 title defenses - all in germany and didn't fight the best fighters.

Now Dariusz WAS better than that and his fight with Hill was a great win which is far better than anything ottke did, just sayin. Defending a single belt for years in germany is the reason.

Always wanted him and Jones to get it on.

No way in his prime Jones was going there- sour grapes from Seoul in 1988 when he got robbed.

I read a lot of stuff on why/how it didn't happen.

Comment

I don't think fighting in Germany is a problem

not fighting top opposition is a problem/ and or robbing fighters who come to your backyard, but I don't think Dariusz is guilty of either

Comment

Originally posted by Tiozzo View Post
                    I don't think fighting in Germany is a problem

not fighting top opposition is a problem/ and or robbing fighters who come to your backyard, but I don't think Dariusz is guilty of either
                    well I think he is a bit because he could have fought more of the top opponents if he was willing to travel and to truly take on the best. Jones could have happened but Dariusz refused to leave Germany/Europe.

Germany isn't the home of the greatest fighters in the world. It's good money, so I don't blame guys like Dariusz, Sturm, Ottke, etc., but if he really wanted to be the best he had his chances but didn't want to take them.

Comment

Working...
                    X