I cheered them on!
      You went to the game?

Comment

• Originally posted by Reefer Madness View Post
        You went to the game?
        I have a ticket, but I didn't go.

Comment

• Originally posted by RiZOOM View Post
          I'm not sure about Barton. On one hand I want him to stay, on the other I want him out. We are short of players and getting rid of him now would be a dumb move.
          I can understand that. As much as the guy is a total pole smoker, he is a half decent player and that is something Newcastle can't claim to have many of at the moment. It would be hard to get anything for him too, I don't think too many clubs would be willing to risk taking him on.

Comment

• Guthrie: Newcastle A 'Big' Club

10/08/2008 19:28
            Guthrie: Newcastle A 'Big' Club
            Newcastle United new-boy Danny Guthrie believes the club stand-up with the biggest names in football, likening The Magpies to former club Liverpool.

The 21-year old completed a £2.5 million move to St James' Park earlier this summer, ending a three year stay at Anfield which included loan spells with Southampton and Bolton Wanderers.

While clubs such as Manchester United and Liverpool have continued to enjoy league and European success, Newcastle have repeatedly tread water as a host of managers have tried and failed to guide the side into top-six.

But Guthrie, who was also on the books of The Red Devils as a youngster, believes that current incumbent Kevin Keegan can help the club to fulfil it's potential after years of mediocrity.

“I was at Liverpool for seven or eight years — I grew up there — so to leave for anywhere else is a big change. But I can see very big similarities between here (Newcastle) and there," Guthrie told The Sun.

“You can judge the size of a football club by its fans, and the attitude of the city and the people here to football is so similar to Liverpool.

“This is a football city. It’s the main topic of conversation — everyone has an opinion on it.

“But the thing here is that everyone is obsessed with just one club, rather than two like in Liverpool or Manchester.

“That, the way the ground sits looking down on the town, the amount of people walking around in black and white shirts . . . everything about it is big.

"Kevin Keegan is just brilliant to work with. As soon as I met him, we got on. Even in training, he is so positive that players just spark off him. It’s a pleasure to come in every day.

“I just can’t wait to be in the dressing room before the manager gives his team talk and I walk out at a full St James’s Park.

Given that the Shrewsbury-born schemer was unable to establish himself under Rafa Benitez, it would not be a surprise for Guthrie to feel a touch of remorse having left the club, but the youngster is only looking ahead with excitement.

“I always hoped it would happen for me there, even as recently as a few months ago, having done well at Bolton.

“But they (Liverpool) have got a lot of players in central areas and the gaffer wanted to strengthen again this summer.

“As I say, it still needed a good offer for me to want to leave.

“But this was a very good offer.”

Comment

• Guthrie has quickly became my favourite player.

Comment

• Liverpool FC are really going to win the EPL

At last, it seems like a real challenge will be made:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...la/7533851.stm

Comment

• I'd like them to but just can't see it.

They have a better chance of winning the CL.

Comment

• I will be happy within striking distance of the title. Man U and Chelsea have had the resources and experience of late and fair play to them but we have the squad to challenge and if we dont there can be no excuses!

Comment

• New boy set for debut

New boy set for debut

NEW signing Fabricio Coloccini could be handed a Premier League baptism of fire at Old Trafford.
                      Coloccini was at St James's Park on Saturday to see Newcastle United overcome Valencia 2-1 thanks to an injury-time James Milner goal.

Damien Duff had cancelled out Joaquin Sanchez's first half opener with 13 minutes left on the clock.

And owner Mike Ashley – who has sanctioned the £9.5m deal, a club record for a defender – was wearing a purple away shirt with Coloccini's name on the back.

The 26-year-old trained with his new team-matesfor the first time late last week as the paperwork was completed, and Kevin Keegan will take a close look at him over the coming days before deciding if he is ready physically for Sunday's season-opener against double winners Manchester United.

Asked if Coloccini would be involved at Old Trafford, Keegan said: "Yes – if his fitness levels are right. We'll watch how quickly he integrates this week."

Coloccini was left behind when Deportivo La Coruna travelled to Venuzuela for their pre-season tour last week, and trained on his own before flying to England.

Keegan added: "His team's been in South America playing the games we played 10 days ago, but he looks very fit. We'll wait and see."

However, the form of centre halves Steven Taylor and Cacapa in pre-season means Coloccini, if he proves his fitness, will most likely have to settle for a place on the bench at Old Trafford.

Taylor and Cacapa have started all six of Newcastle's warm-up games in the absence of Abdoulaye Faye, who reported back from the summer break with an injury, and is yet to return to full training.

Comment

Working...
                      X