Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Questions About Ebola Patient’s Travel to U.S.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
    But if it's not that infectious why would they need a containment protocol? and why would it have spread across three nations killing 3,000+ people?

This is a disease that kills quickly, so it doesn't actually have that long to spread.
    Are you serious or just playing devils advocate? Containment protocol exists to prevent infectious disease, it is a FACT not an opinion that Ebola is relatively hard to catch, the fact that the living conditions, healthcare and education in African nations relating to Ebola is so poor doesn't change that, furthermore western countries have a system which means we can dispose of dead bodies so that no one is exposed to virus' look at various photos of the outbreak where dead bodies are on the street - this is one of the few ways you can catch the virus. There was a time when HIV was considered a solely gay disease, the lack of education relating to HIV meant more people got infected than could have been the case despite it being a hard virus to catch.

Here is the issue, it only spreads quickly in densely populated areas, with poor education, hygiene and less than stellar medical care. Have you seen the bed areas where they are treating the patients? They are literally stacked next to each other.

You are assuming that America would have the same issues that West African countries would have. There is a single person in the US that has Ebola, he will be quarantined and they will address the problem far better than any African nation.

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
    People were relaxed and instead of banning flights the disease is now in the US.

Comparisons with HIV are wide of the mark too. The first American(?) from Minnesota who died visited his sister. I can guarantee he wouldn't have caught HIV from her. This disease kills in days.

I get what you're saying, the facts are with you but I'm in favor of caution, it's not to be fkd with.
    No comparisons with HIV are not wide of the mark, the disease spreads in a very similar fashion, the transmission of bodily fluids. It is not airborne.

Additionally it was a man from Minneapolis who was living in Liberia, they believe he caught it in Nigeria. The mortality rate would also likely drop had the disease been more prevalent in a country such as the US with better healthcare.

You are aware that Ebola existed in the DRC in 1976 correct? The WHO (world health organisation flew in quarantined over 300 people, and used semi modern infection control protocol i.e. basic things such as sterilizing medical equipment, quarantine, wear clothing that protected areas that could be infected and they stopped the first outbreak. Ebola is not wholly new if the virus was easy to catch such rudimentary methods would not have worked.

People in modern countries are vastly overreacting, the Financial Times did a piece a few days ago calculating the economic effects of Ebola. There will be significantly more people dying of the economic effects of the virus than there will be people dying of the disease itself.

More people died of Swine flu in 2009 (200,000 more) than people that even have Ebola. Swine flu has a mortality rate of around 10% but is airborne and far far far more infectious than Ebola. Ebola scares people because of the horrific symptoms and the mortality rate but it is likely less dangerous to the developed worlds populace than swine flu. The time it takes to kill you is of no relevance, it just scares people more. In fact if you lived longer with the virus the greater than chance of you infecting another person - an evolutionary benefit from the virus standpoint.

"WH: What's the actual fatality rate? I';ve heard between 60 and 90 percent. Is that accurate?
    Dr. Lahey:
    The death rates we're hearing quoted are not as applicable in the United States or Europe. The thing that causes death from Ebola is organ failure and sepsis, and that is very difficult to treat in Sierra Leone, for instance. But in the United States we have great ICU care, and are much better equipped to prevent that. If someone's blood pressure is low, I can give them medicines to make it go higher. If their kidney is failing I can give them dialysis until their kidneys heal."
    Last edited by Ryn0; 10-03-2014, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Heard he had contact with about 80.

This is how it starts.

We all gonna die

Comment

Why keep the bastard alive. Dirty mutherfuker knew he had the shlt.

Comment

Originally posted by PAC-BOY View Post
          Why keep the bastard alive. Dirty mutherfuker knew he had the shlt.
          lol damn you are ruthless

Comment

Now there's a guy in Spain who got it from another person in Spain, the 1st person who contracted Ebola from outside Africa. Things are looking sweeter...

http://www.cnn.com/
            Last edited by jazluvr; 10-06-2014, 05:11 PM.

Comment

yall some nerds it like when swine flu was popular lol back in 08 lol.

Comment

Working...
              X