• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corbett spars Tunney - PURE GOLD

Thought's please

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
    Thought's please

The uppercut was comical and the jab seemed to be telegraphed sometimes. But overall Corbett had a good bag of moves and feints on him. Corbett is really a seminal point. You can immediately see that he is a modern boxer in the essentials, and a good one, and that he is going to be a clever handfull to deal with. This transformation happened in the blink and of an eye, and much if not most of it was due to Corbett.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
      The uppercut was comical and the jab seemed to be telegraphed sometimes. But overall Corbett had a good bag of moves and feints on him. Corbett is really a seminal point. You can immediately see that he is a modern boxer in the essentials, and a good one, and that he is going to be a clever handfull to deal with. This transformation happened in the blink and of an eye, and much if not most of it was due to Corbett.
      uppercut was comical but it's because he is simply exaggerating it to make a point, his right to the head was excellent. I think the comic aspect was something that they all did back then... clowning for the camera, it was soon to become passe' but remember Corbett's prime was at the very birth of film

Comment

Clinching was a part of a good boxer's repertoire even back then.

Comment

Honestly, I know it was just a tutorial video, but not very impressed with either guy.. Tyson would knock both out in the same night. I honestly think these dudes wouldn't beat frank bruno or tommy Morrison

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
            Tyson would knock both out in the same night. I honestly think these dudes wouldn't beat frank bruno or tommy Morrison
            I believe a lot of today’s heavyweights would destroy them both.

In the Athens Olympic Games 1896, Thomas Burke won the 100 metres final with the time 12.0 seconds. I do think Usain Bolt would beat him if they clashed. Still, Burke was considered the fastest man on Earth in his time. That’s what counts.

We owe ‘em, these people who bothered, and found it important, to preserve footage of old warriors.

Comment

I think the reason most heavyweights would knock them out is because back then up until the late 20's, boxing was a "gentlemen's" sport and wasn't so much a fight as it became in the 80's where you had guys like Tyson who had a sadistic style hell bent on knockouts if that makes any sense. It all come down to how the sport has evolved and 100 years from now the style of today might be seen as primitive.

I watched that video the day before the thread was even posted lol what a coincidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.DagoWop View Post
                I think the reason most heavyweights would knock them out is because back then up until the late 20's, boxing was a "gentlemen's" sport and wasn't so much a fight as it became in the 80's where you had guys like Tyson who had a sadistic style hell bent on knockouts if that makes any sense. It all come down to how the sport has evolved and 100 years from now the style of today might be seen as primitive.

I watched that video the day before the thread was even posted lol what a coincidence.
                I don't think so, these people in the past used to fight like 20 rounds with like 4 oz. gloves, it was almost bare knuckle brawl till death, they just didn't have the athleticism, speed and technique that modern fighters had, but boxing was indeed a very brutal sport even back then, nobody gave a damn about fighters at the time, they were entretainment tools, especially black fighters.

In the video he was just trying to demonstrate the different punches and the technique was very primitive as u saw, but this was not an actual fight.
                Last edited by Ahmed_Ismail; 09-28-2015, 04:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ahmed_Ismail View Post
                  I don't think so, these people in the past used to fight like 20 rounds with like 4 oz. gloves, it was almost bare knuckle brawl till death, they just didn't have the athleticism, speed and technique that modern fighters had, but boxing was indeed a very brutal sport even back then, nobody gave a damn about fighters at the time, they were entretainment tools, especially black fighters.

In the video he was just trying to demonstrate the different punches and the technique was very primitive as u saw, but this was not an actual fight.
                  Judging from other videos as a whole, it seems to me that stylistically boxing has changed dramatically. When was the last time you legitimately saw a fighter square up like this:

http://acculturated.com/wp-content/u...livan-1898.jpg

Comment

Uh, in the movie Timecop, in the opening scene taking place in the '20s?

Comment

Working...
                    X