No announcement yet.

How Quick Everyone Forgets - Why Hatton Will Beat Manny

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Quick Everyone Forgets - Why Hatton Will Beat Manny

It seems as though it doesn't take much time for most people, (INCLUDING MYSELF) to become blinded by Manny's recent victories, and the authority with which he vanquished his opponents. But, if you take a second to think about it you might reconsider.

Manny's last three fights. First we had Pac-Marquez II. A great fight that came down to a split decision, and was by no means dominated by Manny. If you go back and watch the fight, you will fight numerous times when Marquez lands and gives Manny serious pause. He was able to land combinations on Pac and actually wobble him a few times. Ultimately, Manny was the better man and won, a victory I think he totally deserved.

Then he fights Diaz, a title holder but definitely not world class. He completely destroyed him, but because of Diaz's inferiority he didn't take much of ANYTHING from Diaz. This was an important fight for Manny as it was going to gauge how his chin, body, speed, etc... responded to not only being at a higher weight himself, but fighting bigger, stronger fighters. He did well, but WE DID NOT SEE how he would be able to absorb punches from someone at lightweight.

Then we have the DLH fight. Once again, a complete domination by Manny, one in which once again we see no consistent showing of Manny's chin fighting a bigger man. There were a few moments in which Manny was caught by Oscar, and he was clearly and visibly shaken by the punches. It might not have thrown him off balance, and given the rarity of these punches no damage really accumulated but it leads to the question of how he would respond to someone who is able to land a little more consistently on him.

What's funny to me is how quickly people have shifted their view of Pac from what it was prior to the Pac-Marquez II, which was a real come-forward puncher with not much skills in terms of boxing, to suddenly being able to contend with the best, like Mayweather, who I don't want, but have to admit would probably destory Pac.

So now we have the prospect of Hatton fighting Pac. Unlike ODLH Hatton has fought at LWW consistently through his career, and will not be going down in weight to fight in a shape he hasn't been in years. Hatton's style is actually somewhat similar to Pacquaio. He comes straight forward, throws from all angles, and uses a lot of head movement in punch evasion. So here's what it comes to - If Hatton is able to get through Pac's defenses and land with more consistency than DLH and Diaz, will he be able to take him out? If Marquez at featherweight can wobble Pacquaio, logical thinking would suggest that a NATURAL Light WW would be able to do the same were he to land punches.

Now of course we have to think, WILL hatton be able to land punches? I think he can, he has underrated boxing ability, and his natural size coupled with his style (WHICH IS DIFFERENT FROM DLH, VERY MUCH SO) I think will result in Pac being bullied, and destroyed in the body.

But, Hatton's defense is and always has been questionable, and if Pacquaio's aggresiveness is responded to by paralysis and running by Hatton, Hatton will lose. But, If hatton can match his aggression, he will win.

It seems Pacquaio's recent amazing victories, and make no mistake, I DO BELIEVE they were amazing, has made us forget that he is still relatively untested in the heavier weight classes and we have yet to see if he can handle taking punches.

I agree,people are to quick to write Hatton off.

Comment

i think the only way hatton wins if he bullys and wresler pacman on the inside , hatton really needs to ruff him up and keep the fight inside if not pac will destroy him with fast in and out combonations

Comment

You're only as good as your last fight, so while keeping those two fights mentioned is definitely worth doing...they are not an accurate indicator on how Manny will fare against an opponent who is nothing like the ones mentioned.

Styles make fights.

Comment

Originally posted by lman2k2 View Post
          i think the only way hatton wins if he bullys and wresler pacman on the inside , hatton really needs to ruff him up and keep the fight inside if not pac will destroy him with fast in and out combonations
          I agree totally, hatton has no chance to outbox or outspeed pac, he needs to outmuscle pac, that is his only way to victory.

Comment

Originally posted by Felixion View Post
            It seems as though it doesn't take much time for most people, (INCLUDING MYSELF) to become blinded by Manny's recent victories, and the authority with which he vanquished his opponents. But, if you take a second to think about it you might reconsider.

Manny's last three fights. First we had Pac-Marquez II. A great fight that came down to a split decision, and was by no means dominated by Manny. If you go back and watch the fight, you will fight numerous times when Marquez lands and gives Manny serious pause. He was able to land combinations on Pac and actually wobble him a few times. Ultimately, Manny was the better man and won, a victory I think he totally deserved.

Then he fights Diaz, a title holder but definitely not world class. He completely destroyed him, but because of Diaz's inferiority he didn't take much of ANYTHING from Diaz. This was an important fight for Manny as it was going to gauge how his chin, body, speed, etc... responded to not only being at a higher weight himself, but fighting bigger, stronger fighters. He did well, but WE DID NOT SEE how he would be able to absorb punches from someone at lightweight.

Then we have the DLH fight. Once again, a complete domination by Manny, one in which once again we see no consistent showing of Manny's chin fighting a bigger man. There were a few moments in which Manny was caught by Oscar, and he was clearly and visibly shaken by the punches. It might not have thrown him off balance, and given the rarity of these punches no damage really accumulated but it leads to the question of how he would respond to someone who is able to land a little more consistently on him.

What's funny to me is how quickly people have shifted their view of Pac from what it was prior to the Pac-Marquez II, which was a real come-forward puncher with not much skills in terms of boxing, to suddenly being able to contend with the best, like Mayweather, who I don't want, but have to admit would probably destory Pac.

So now we have the prospect of Hatton fighting Pac. Unlike ODLH Hatton has fought at LWW consistently through his career, and will not be going down in weight to fight in a shape he hasn't been in years. Hatton's style is actually somewhat similar to Pacquaio. He comes straight forward, throws from all angles, and uses a lot of head movement in punch evasion. So here's what it comes to - If Hatton is able to get through Pac's defenses and land with more consistency than DLH and Diaz, will he be able to take him out? If Marquez at featherweight can wobble Pacquaio, logical thinking would suggest that a NATURAL Light WW would be able to do the same were he to land punches.

Now of course we have to think, WILL hatton be able to land punches? I think he can, he has underrated boxing ability, and his natural size coupled with his style (WHICH IS DIFFERENT FROM DLH, VERY MUCH SO) I think will result in Pac being bullied, and destroyed in the body.

But, Hatton's defense is and always has been questionable, and if Pacquaio's aggresiveness is responded to by paralysis and running by Hatton, Hatton will lose. But, If hatton can match his aggression, he will win.

It seems Pacquaio's recent amazing victories, and make no mistake, I DO BELIEVE they were amazing, has made us forget that he is still relatively untested in the heavier weight classes and we have yet to see if he can handle taking punches.
            No idea what you're talking bout there buddy....

yea we dont know if he can take a punch at these higher weights... but he wasnt tagged at all by dlh

Comment

I'm not reading all that ****, but I agree that Hatton can beat Manny. Hatton is still a bigger man IMO, and that would help him on the inside with Manny who doesn't fight to well in close quarters. Ricky also has prety quick feet and can close that gap quick between he and Manny, so he can rough the Filipino up on the inside with his mauling tactics and shorter punches.
              Last edited by J.R.; 12-17-2008, 08:38 PM.

Comment

I think Hatton has a chance but Manny in my opinion is faster, has better footwork, and he's southpaw. These 3 elements combined together give him advantage over Ricky, who will have an awkward fighter against him who moves too quick on his feet to give him a target and can keep more distance than usual because of his stance.

Pacquiao stance would give Hatton trouble also when he wants to hold and hit, because hell need to do it differently this time. Plus if Hatton can be hurt by Lazcano surely can be hurt by Manny who throws more shots in combination.

Comment

I don't see Hatton beating Pacquiao, but I could be wrong.

Comment

The fact that Hatton is very left handed should help Pac out. Left hooks are typically harder to land against southpaws And it's easier to get caught with a straight left when you like to throw your left hook. The straight left will always get their first. It's not like countering under a straight right.

Manny will get hit, but he'll land a lot too. I trust this guys will, even if Hatton gets going early. In the end I dont expect Hatton to hold up to the clean punches landed.
                    Last edited by -Antonio-; 12-17-2008, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X