No announcement yet.

**the official la lakers thread**

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mr. Stark View Post
    Whiteside is more realistic than Durant.
    Definitely because Durant is not coming. Letting other free agents get away by focusing on a pipe dream is not wise in my opinion.

Comment

• Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
      I don't see that happening at all. The Lakers should be more worried about their horrible defense and how Whiteside can fill a void in that area.
      He would be the oldest and most experienced starter and highest paid player, assuming no other marquee free agent is signed. Randle, Clarkson, Whiteside, Russell and #1 pick.

I think they should be concerned about the D, but I don't think maxing a guy like Whiteside is the answer.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
        He would be the oldest and most experienced starter and highest paid player, assuming no other marquee free agent is signed. Randle, Clarkson, Whiteside, Russell and #1 pick.

I think they should be concerned about the D, but I don't think maxing a guy like Whiteside is the answer.
        Then what do you suggest they do? Sign more mediocre players and continue to suck? Or sign a prime player who is probably the best shot blocker in the league?

Lakers should be focused on winning. Not speculating about who the team leader is going to be.

Comment

Then what do you suggest they do? Sign more mediocre players and continue to suck? Or sign a prime player who is probably the best shot blocker in the league?

Lakers should be focused on winning. Not speculating about who the team leader is going to be.
          I agree. Is whiteside a winner ?

I understand your point, but you have to consider the different dynamics between The Heat and the Lakers at the current point.

Whiteside, in a strong organization, in a contract year, surrounded by high character veterans has allowed him to flourish.

We are talking about putting him on a terrible team with no veteran leadership, a terrible organization (at the moment), with a max deal making him the highest paid player on the team. Sorry but I see a lot of problems with this scenario.

We may suck another year. That would be Jimmy/Mitch's fault for not starting to rebuild earlier by either releasing or trading Kobe.

I just don't think you give a max deal to a this kind of player at this point in the rebuilding. Shot blocking and rebounding can be added in other ways IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Stark View Post
            Whiteside is more realistic than Durant.
            At some point Pau Gasol was also out or reach...so was Shaq.....I say fook it shoot for the moon......

Comment

I agree. Is whiteside a winner ?

I understand your point, but you have to consider the different dynamics between The Heat and the Lakers at the current point.

Whiteside, in a strong organization, in a contract year, surrounded by high character veterans has allowed him to flourish.

We are talking about putting him on a terrible team with no veteran leadership, a terrible organization (at the moment), with a max deal making him the highest paid player on the team. Sorry but I see a lot of problems with this scenario.

We may suck another year. That would be Jimmy/Mitch's fault for not starting to rebuild earlier by either releasing or trading Kobe.

I just don't think you give a max deal to a this kind of player at this point in the rebuilding. Shot blocking and rebounding can be added in other ways IMO.
              No it can't. The Lakers have already been there and failed with it. Shot blocking and rebounding can only be added by players that can actually do it at a high level. Does Hibbert sound familiar?

The other stuff you're talking about is the least of the Lakers concerns and honestly you're the only person I've ever seen bring that topic into the discussion.
              Last edited by joseph5620; 05-03-2016, 11:09 AM.

Comment

No it can't. The Lakers have already been there and failed with it. Shot blocking and rebounding can only be added by players that can actually do it at a high level. Does Hibbert sound familiar?

The other stuff you're talking about is the least of the Lakers concerns and honestly you're the only person I've ever seen bring that topic into the discussion.
                If you check this thread, I was against Hibbert. as well. you remember Dwight Howard, a player who is does the same things as whiteside, only better in ALL ways when healthy, yet isn't a winner and brings chaos.

Then maybe every other fan needs to expand their thinking. Whiteside stared about 45 games this year. Can he be a an 82 games starter, which is what he will need to be at a max deal. He avgd about 30 mins a game, is that acceptable for a player on a max deal? As fans, I think we expect more minutes-maybe 38-40.

He played this year with Bosh, Wade and Dragic-3 very good players all of whom have made either 1st, 2nd or 3rd team all NBA at some point in their career. Deng is a 2 time all star. We don't have these type of players right now.

I think we all need to consider the possibility that whiteside, who is very talented, may not be able to handle the pressure of playing in LA, just like Dwight.

I just don't think the risk is worth a max deal.

Comment

If you check this thread, I was against Hibbert. as well. you remember Dwight Howard, a player who is does the same things as whiteside, only better in ALL ways when healthy, yet isn't a winner and brings chaos.

Then maybe every other fan needs to expand their thinking. Whiteside stared about 45 games this year. Can he be a an 82 games starter, which is what he will need to be at a max deal. He avgd about 30 mins a game, is that acceptable for a player on a max deal? As fans, I think we expect more minutes-maybe 38-40.

He played this year with Bosh, Wade and Dragic-3 very good players all of whom have made either 1st, 2nd or 3rd team all NBA at some point in their career. Deng is a 2 time all star. We don't have these type of players right now.

I think we all need to consider the possibility that whiteside, who is very talented, may not be able to handle the pressure of playing in LA, just like Dwight.

I just don't think the risk is worth a max deal.
                  Howard is not a better shooter than Whiteside so you're wrong there. Howard never averaged over 3 blocks a game either.

Basically you're saying the Lakers shouldn't sign Whiteside because he might be a team leader who brings chaos. Making the team better defensively is not as important to you apparently. I can also recall you questioning whether Jordan Clarkson's first season was a fluke or not. How did that turn out?

Your argument makes no sense and Whiteside is going to be a high on a lot of teams free agent list including the Lakers. Those are facts.

Comment

Howard is not a better shooter than Whiteside so you're wrong there. Howard never averaged over 3 blocks a game either.

Basically you're saying the Lakers shouldn't sign Whiteside because he might be a team leader who brings chaos. Making the team better defensively is not as important to you apparently. I can also recall you questioning whether Jordan Clarkson's first season was a fluke or not. How did that turn out?

Your argument makes no sense and Whiteside is going to be a high on a lot of teams free agent list including the Lakers. Those are facts.
                    You are over simplifying what I am saying and not taking into consideration whiteside's history, just his numbers from this year. you are treating whiteside like a proven NBA vet that has earned a max deal.

He's played 140 or so NBA games total, less than 80 as a starter. he is 25, has played less than 2 full NBA seasons, started less than a full NBA season, avgs about 24 mins a game for his career.

Yes this year he averaged 14 PPG, 12 RPG and 3.8 BPG, but this is a veteran team and he is in a contract year.

You can't see my concern?

They shouldn't sign him to a MAX DEAL because he isn't a max deal player AND because we do not currently have the organization or locker room that can allow him to flourish. I am suggesting exercising caution.

As for Clarkson, I said that we needed to be careful because his numbers were achieved in garbage time and I didn't know if he could produce same for a contender. He did produce this year, albeit not for a contender. How much would you sign him for?

That is another argument. Yes he will be high on team's list because he has talent, which I am not denying. That said, what role at what salary is he on those teams?

Comment

You are over simplifying what I am saying and not taking into consideration whiteside's history, just his numbers from this year. you are treating whiteside like a proven NBA vet that has earned a max deal.

He's played 140 or so NBA games total, less than 80 as a starter. he is 25, has played less than 2 full NBA seasons, started less than a full NBA season, avgs about 24 mins a game for his career.

Yes this year he averaged 14 PPG, 12 RPG and 3.8 BPG, but this is a veteran team and he is in a contract year.

You can't see my concern?

They shouldn't sign him to a MAX DEAL because he isn't a max deal player AND because we do not currently have the organization or locker room that can allow him to flourish. I am suggesting exercising caution.

As for Clarkson, I said that we needed to be careful because his numbers were achieved in garbage time and I didn't know if he could produce same for a contender. He did produce this year, albeit not for a contender. How much would you sign him for?

That is another argument. Yes he will be high on team's list because he has talent, which I am not denying. That said, what role at what salary is he on those teams?
                      Dangerously WALLOTEXT status......................

Comment

Working...
                      X