No announcement yet.

Why didn't Hagler challenge himself

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sheldon312 View Post
    Keep in mind I didn't start watching boxing until like 2010. So, I don't know that much about the 80's.
    Then why not do some home work before spouting off ignorant garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by just the facts View Post
      Then why not do some home work before spouting off ignorant garbage.
      I did do my homework and I had come to the conclusion that Hagler isn't as great as what people make him out to be. For all the Flock Floyd gets, he sure does have a better resume than Hagler who is considered top 25 P4P.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheldon312 View Post
        Hagler is considered to be the greatest MW of all time which is arguable. But looking at his resume all his big wins were against smaller men moving up like Hearns and Duran. There's not one MW on his resume that screams "Great" if anything, Jones and Monzon have better resumes. Most of the greats went up and challenged themselves. Hagler didn't seem to want to do that. He could've went up and faced Michael Spinks but he chose to take the easy way out and stay in a dead division. Why does Hagler get a pass for this.
        He did not have a hope in hell of beating Spinks.. Look a photos of Hagler. He's short. I challenge that Monzon had better fighters in his resume. Name them and let us know why they were so great. Hagler made good money fighting at Middleweight why move up probably for less. Do you believe Monzon could beat Spinks. There is no way in hell that would happen. Even Roy wouldn't beat Spinks.

Comment

he sure does have a better resume than Hagler who is considered top 25 P4P.

How is his record better than Hagler's?

Comment

Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
            He did not have a hope in hell of beating Spinks.. Look a photos of Hagler. He's short. I challenge that Monzon had better fighters in his resume. Name them and let us know why they were so great. Hagler made good money fighting at Middleweight why move up probably for less. Do you believe Monzon could beat Spinks. There is no way in hell that would happen. Even Roy wouldn't beat Spinks.
            Roy Jones mops the floor with Spinks. Same day weigh in 175lbs back then is like a modern day middleweight. I love how these same day weigh in fighters get so vastly overrated compared to modern day weigh in fighters. The old time fighters by weight were much smaller compared to today.

Comment

Originally posted by Fists_of_Fury View Post
              Roy Jones mops the floor with Spinks. Same day weigh in 175lbs back then is like a modern day middleweight. I love how these same day weigh in fighters get so vastly overrated compared to modern day weigh in fighters. The old time fighters by weight were much smaller compared to today.
              Sorry I don't agree. Spinks was better at LH than Roy.

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
                There was no 168 division, he would have had to jump from 160-175. Do you see the size of Hagler compared to todays MW's?

And they say Golovkin is small.
                He's about an inch taller. He probably looks bigger too because he is closer to the camera.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
                  Hagler was one of the best middleweight champions in history. He defended his title an average of 4 times a year which is never done today. He only fought top rated guys and never avoided any middleweight. Hearns wasn't smaller than Hagler when Hagler fought him. Hearns had just KOed a top middleweight in 1 round when Hagler fought him. Hearns had outgrown 147 and 154 and was a full sized middleweight. In Hagler's day us boxing fans were thrilled to have a middleweight champion who defended his title so often against the very best middleweights in the world. We didn't demand he fight above his natural weight and didn't ask him to. The middleweight division was not dead at all. Hagler beat many excellent middleweights in defense of his title. Just because he was good enough to beat all challengers doesn't make it a dead division. It's like today and the GGG haters who say middleweight is a weak weight class just because he always wins and usually by KO. Hagler beat some middleweights who would have been good middleweight champs if Hagler wasn't around.to beat them. Hagler earned his reputation as one of history's best middleweight champs the hard way. He fought and beat all the best middleweights. I thought he beat Leonard and Leonard choose not to give him a rematch so he retired in disgust.
                  Well said.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                    he sure does have a better resume than Hagler who is considered top 25 P4P.

How is his record better than Hagler's?
                    He just fought better fighters and better competition. If you give Hagler credit for beating guys naturally smaller than we should give Crawford, GGG, and Floyd the same amount of credit you can't have it both ways

Comment

a lot of people dont know this, but i do because im from the brockton area. hagler had AIDS, he still may and that's why he had to move to italy. robbie simms didn't have AIDS and people around here like to talk about him just as much as hagler.

that's why hagler never challenged himself and gets a pass.

Comment

Working...
                      X