No announcement yet.

inoue and the eye test....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inoue and the eye test....

People rating him high up on the pound for pound list cause its 'clear hes the real deal'. Clear where? In your own mind where you can accurately predict the outcome of every fight?

Maybe its people arrogance in thinking that theyve got the all seeing, all knowing boxing vision but history has shown us time and time again that just cause someone looks good at a certain level, doesnt mean it translates to looking good against top opposition.

Look at the espn prospect of the year winners over the years.

2017: Ryan Garcia
    2016: Erickson Lubin
    2015: Errol Spence Jr.
    2014: Felix Verdejo
    2013: Vasiliy Lomachenko
    2012: David Price
    2011: Gary Russell Jr.
    2010: Canelo Alvarez
    2009: Daniel Jacobs
    2008: Victor Ortiz
    2007: Amir Khan
    2006: Andre Berto
    2005: Joel Julio
    2004: Samuel Peter
    2003: Jermain Taylor
    2002: Miguel Cotto
    2001: Francisco Bojado
    2000: Julio Diaz

These guys had a lot of hype between them, some lived up to it, many of them didnt. They all passed the 'eye test'

You dont discover a lot of what a fighter is about unless they are in with a world level opponent and faced with adversity. Not by them looking good against an old fighter who lost 120-108 to donaire when they were at their best

People were calling price 'the next lennox lewis' and the eye test told them that he would have knocked tyson fury out.
    Who would have forseen rigondeaux jacking the fight as soon as he made a bad start against lomachenko? (rigo was still a top fighter but many were calling him the most talented in the sport and top 3 p4p for a long time cause it was 'clear he was the best')
    Who would have predicted lubin crumbling when someone tagged him on the chin.
    One poster who i wont name on here labelled broner the future fighter of the decade cause he dominated some B/C level opposition.
    Crawfords looked great but hes looked great against B level opposition and people are putting him p4p number 1 when hes not fought a world class fighter yet (no fault of his own but thats the grade of the guys who have been in his division).

Theres only one way for a fighter to prove themself as the best and thats by getting in the ring with the best fighters around, not by how good they look against limited opposition. Just cause inoue looks good up until this point, doesnt mean he couldnt get exposed in this tournament where we will find it much more about him.

(And on a side note does inoue even look that good, looks slow to me for that division and has his chin dangling in the air a lot of the time)
    Last edited by Prince Madison; 05-24-2018, 11:38 AM.

But is that not why ya'll rank GGG so high? because it damn sure aint his resume

Comment

Inoue has several good wins

Maybe it petered out slightly recently but his career so far has been unreal.

The Narvaez win was as much about the way he won, and the fact he had stepped up 2 weight classes, as it was about beating Narvaez. Nobody does that to Narvaez, even Tete who is a good fighter just fought Omar and dominated without knocking him out

Comment

you were just on here hyping Joe Joyce, WHY???

Comment

So i take it that you're picking McDonnell to win?

Comment

https://www.boxingscene.com/forums/s...d.php?t=781497

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx.. View Post
              But is that not why ya'll rank GGG so high? because it damn sure aint his resume
              Truth

Comment

He beat Taguchi more convincingly than anyone in my opinion....beat Narvaez more convincingly than anyone...beat Adrian Hernandez who was a damn good fighter...First guy to stop Kono

I mean just because you dont follow the lower weights that much doesnt mean that Inoue doesnt have a good resume

Lets see if he can wreck McDonnell..

Comment

A lot of those fighters on the prospect list had strong careers or are doing excellent things currently. Inoue has been the #1 at 112 and whilst 115 was a pitstop it's pretty clear watching him fight and the way he's crushing dudes way more impressively than others. Same with GGG he didn't have any one impressive name or win but a number of extremely dominant wins against guys that everybody else had a tough fight with. That's the measuring stick up to this point. Measuring resume and looking too much into it doesn't always work when rating a guys current ability. I leave that stuff for the end of his career and his placing in history. You can only beat what's in front of you and with McDonnell and then the 118 WBSS tournament he'll either prove himself to be an absolute beast well worthy of a lofty p4p ranking or a young talented three-division titlist with great talent and exciting future win or lose.

I had the chance to see him from very close up at Superfly I and his punches and power looked and sounded very different than a lot of fighters I've seen and especially in those divisions.

Comment

some of these responses are what i mean though. just cause he beat some B/C level fighters 'in more convincing fashion' doesnt really mean that much, especially if you are a ko artist. He'd prove much more by winning a close fight against an A level fighter in my eyes

Comment

Working...
                    X