Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wilder is Like Holyfield in the 90s

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holyfield was a great fighter,, no one doubted that, but he was viewed as undersized in the early 90s..

I would say manny when he moved up from 126 and people thought he would be undersized, until he started smashing huge guys like margarito, cotto, Oscar

Plus evander was in the shadow of Tyson

Comment

It's scary with the lack of boxing knowledge that's flowing in more and more on this forum

Comment

Originally posted by kingstip9 View Post
        It's scary with the lack of boxing knowledge that's flowing in more and more on this forum
        I know right - I don't recall Real Deal windmilling in any fight I can recall.

Comment

Originally posted by BWC View Post
          Nah Holyfield was a boring afterthought until he fought Bowe. I'd say Wilder is more like the Holyfield of the late 80s, before Tyson went up the river. Tyson was supposed to fight him after Bruno I believe, then Buster busted him. That Holyfield was a nobody really..
          Holyfield was an Olympic medalist, undefeated, undisputed GOAT cruiser, and had a fight of the year barnburner with micheal dokes, won the undisputed heavyweight championship and had drawn over a million ppv buys fighting foreman, all before bowe.

So your assertion that Holyfield was a nobody pre-bowe is absurd..

The bowe fights turned evander from hall of famer into ATG

Comment

People gave Evander Holyfield a immense amount of respect! his technique and boxing skills where vividly apparent! and he was a proven world champion at cruiser-weight! But in the early 90's, people thought that there where better champions or fighters such as Mike Tyson. When Holyfield was threatening to move up into the heavyweight division, his threats where sending shock-waves into the division....

Deontay Wilder does himself no favors, when he is throwing punches like a woman in a supermarket brawl.

Comment

"That Holyfield was a nobody really"....................

and this is new look forum we have now! Once again a total noob
              who probably saw Evender "picking up the pennies" and getting beat by guys he would destroy in his prime.
              Tremendous light heavy in the amateurs, great cruiser, world heavyweight champ who beat the hell out of the Baddest man on the planet.....TWICE!

Lets see what Wilder does over these next few years. He is a very awkward guy and those wild wide punches are very difficult to defend! Looking forward to all the younger heavies trying to make a name for themselves.

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by iamboxing View Post
                I don't mean fighting style, but the way Holyfield wasn't given any respect when he was HW champion (Tyson was incarcerated at the time) and seen as a usurper of the title, many feeling he wasn't a legitimate champion. This all changed after he beat Tyson and proved he wasn't just some johnny-come-lately groomed champion by proving he had tons of heart and courage when he went toe to toe against Bowe.

I reckon Wilder is underappreciated the same way Holyfied was, someone who is holding the belt till AJ or Fury comes along, but if he beats either one of them he'll be recognised as an ATG.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                  "That Holyfield was a nobody really"....................

and this is new look forum we have now! Once again a total noob
                  who probably saw Evender "picking up the pennies" and getting beat by guys he would destroy in his prime.
                  Tremendous light heavy in the amateurs, great cruiser, world heavyweight champ who beat the hell out of the Baddest man on the planet.....TWICE!

Lets see what Wilder does over these next few years. He is a very awkward guy and those wild wide punches are very difficult to defend! Looking forward to all the younger heavies trying to make a name for themselves.

Ray
                  I didn't mean in the boxing world necessarily, just in the mainstream he didn't become a mainstream star until the 90s. I mean sure we all know who Usyk is, but the average person on the street is like who??

There are plenty of big stars within boxing that don't crossover until later if at all..

Comment

Holyfield has taking ****es scarier than Beyoncé Wilder

Comment

this....2 pages ?!?!?!?

Comment

Working...
                      X