Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Mistake EVERYBODY Makes Against Mayweather.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gino Ros View Post
    I always see the question asked: How will you attack Mayweather? How will you break through his defense?

I suggest a paradigm shift.

How about going in with a plan to DEFEND against Mayweather? How will Floyd feel when he can't hit you at will? When he can't get his offense off? When he feels uncomfortable because he isn't piling up points?

Now, you may ask :"Floyd's offense is not all that. Why should I be worried about his offense?"

That's the person from OUTSIDE the ring saying that. Once you get into the ring, those punches don't feel great. The guy has 25 KO's. Corrales, Hatton. Gatti. Good fighters. He knocked down Marquez. His offense had Shane completely discouraged. He isn't quite the feather-fist you imagine. Guys aren't trying to walk through him.

If I was going to fight Floyd, I would be focused on a BALANCED fight plan. I would be concerned with my defense as much - if not more - than my offense.

Believe me: Floyd expects every opponent to attack him. Judah did. Hatton did. Oscar did. Shane did. Ortiz will.

Flip the script. Give Floyd something to think about. Make him have to come out of his shell OFFENSIVELY.

For discussion....thoughts?

i've been saying this for years, make floyd come forward, have him lead , make him open up.

no one does it, the all pressure him, floyd knows how to fight in a pressure cooker, and the only time he comes forward is when his guy is hurt or all but out.....

don't give him anything to tee off with, make him go out and get it, with flyds his fight style , it will make him reach, ortiz had a glimpse of it but ddn't know what he was exposing so to speak.

people said i had no clue what i was talking about, but they all subscribe to the same old crap, just because JLC had success with pressure, no one has developed their OWN game plan, they just copy and past the JLC game plan, and it hasn't worked, although, i thought JLC won both fights, i saw both live, floor level seating. but it doesn't work, and nothing different had ever been implemented. but then again, the same people said the same mess when i said hopkins would be trinidad, or when i said winky will beat trinidad....

i think it's a good plan, or at least a good start to one.

Comment

• Originally posted by deuce_drop View Post
      i thought JLC won both fights
      Could you post your scorecard for the second fight?

I mean the first fight, fine, I disagree but I can see why. But the rematch? Seriously?

Comment

i've been saying this for years, make floyd come forward, have him lead , make him open up.

no one does it, the all pressure him, floyd knows how to fight in a pressure cooker, and the only time he comes forward is when his guy is hurt or all but out.....

don't give him anything to tee off with, make him go out and get it, with flyds his fight style , it will make him reach, ortiz had a glimpse of it but ddn't know what he was exposing so to speak.

people said i had no clue what i was talking about, but they all subscribe to the same old crap, just because JLC had success with pressure, no one has developed their OWN game plan, they just copy and past the JLC game plan, and it hasn't worked, although, i thought JLC won both fights, i saw both live, floor level seating. but it doesn't work, and nothing different had ever been implemented. but then again, the same people said the same mess when i said hopkins would be trinidad, or when i said winky will beat trinidad....

" The Mosley fight, and the Ortiz fight debunks your theory. Floyd is excellent at creating proper spacing, and rarely if ever do you see him reaching. I've only seen him reaching to throw a uppercut, and that's it."

The Truck

Comment

• [QUOTE=Gino Ros;11016621]I always see the question asked: How will you attack Mayweather? How will you break through his defense?

How about going in with a plan to DEFEND against Mayweather? How will Floyd feel when he can't hit you at will? When he can't get his offense off? When he feels uncomfortable because he isn't piling up points?

Now, you may ask :"Floyd's offense is not all that. Why should I be worried about his offense?"

That's the person from OUTSIDE the ring saying that. Once you get into the ring, those punches don't feel great. The guy has 25 KO's. Corrales, Hatton. Gatti. Good fighters. He knocked down Marquez. His offense had Shane completely discouraged. He isn't quite the feather-fist you imagine. Guys aren't trying to walk through him.

If I was going to fight Floyd, I would be focused on a BALANCED fight plan. I would be concerned with my defense as much - if not more - than my offense.

Believe me: Floyd expects every opponent to attack him. Judah did. Hatton did. Oscar did. Shane did. Ortiz will.

Flip the script. Give Floyd something to think about. Make him have to come out of his shell OFFENSIVELY.

Easy saying it another thing actually doing it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Truck Turner View Post
            " The Mosley fight, and the Ortiz fight debunks your theory. Floyd is excellent at creating proper spacing, and rarely if ever do you see him reaching. I've only seen him reaching to throw a uppercut, and that's it."

The Truck
            But both Mosley and Ortiz had bouts of ineffective aggression, and neither were focused on their OWN defense.

Mosley had no defense whatsoever, and Ortiz defense involves crouching down into a shell he he "turtles up". When Vic did that, Floyd laid about a ten-punch combo on him.
            See beginning of Round 4.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gino Ros View Post
              I always see the question asked: How will you attack Mayweather? How will you break through his defense?

The problem with this is that Floyd is a counter puncher by nature so he will sit back and pick you apart from distance. You can't force him to come forward, won't happen. So you can focus on defense all you want but he will be happy to sit back and just pot shot you with the jab and right hand.

I think the only way to beat Mayweather is to make it a rough fight, like Castillo, Jesus Chavez and Ricky Hatton did. Move forward and overwhelm him with punches and size.

I can't see anyone in the game out boxing him, trying to counter punch him or out speed him. You need a pressure fighter that is relentless with great inside fighting and conditioning off the charts.

Comment

Floyd has no problem walking people down. You can only box Floyd if you have some type of significant height and reach advantage, and the skills to utilize those advantages. Same with pressuring Floyd, it will only give him trouble if the fighter has the skills to back up that gameplan.

It's that way with any great fighter. You can't just say "oh, do that and it will work." If you don't have the skills, it doesn't matter how you fight you will lose.

Comment

• The problem with this is Floyd's underrated length. He's so long and accurate from a distance that he would just take what's given to him and cruise from the outside.

Comment

• Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                    Floyd has no problem walking people down. You can only box Floyd if you have some type of significant height and reach advantage, and the skills to utilize those advantages. Same with pressuring Floyd, it will only give him trouble if the fighter has the skills to back up that gameplan.

It's that way with any great fighter. You can't just say "oh, do that and it will work." If you don't have the skills, it doesn't matter how you fight you will lose.
                    I do agree with that part, and the height and reach of Oscar, coupled with the fact that Oscar is an excellent fundamental boxer (amateur background) was a tough package for Floyd to deal with.

Comment

• Floyd isn't very good on his front foot, so I would make him come after me by moving alot on my feet, mostly to my right. By doing this, I would force Floyd to reach with his awkward drop-jab, which is a dangerous punch because it can easily be countered, and it would force him to jump in with his trademark leaping left hook.
                      In order to stop those hooks I would keep my chin down like Hopkins and would try to step forward at the same time as Floyd would put weight on his front foot, which he does just before unleashing those leaping hooks.

That way I would mess up the timing and accuracy as well as smothering the power of the punch. At the same time my forehead would be a real danger for Floyd's face seeing as he jumps in with his chin rather high.

Many will probably point out that Floyd has been coming forward successfully against the likes of Mosley, Judah and numerous others, but many fail to realize the difference between active aggression and passive aggression.
                      Floyd uses, for the most part, passive aggression in order to force his opponent to play into his strengths; counterpunching and disrupting the rythm of his opponent so he can punch when his foe is off-balance.
                      Even though Floyd might be coming forward, he wants you to fire first so he can counter you.

If you go back to the Marquez-fight, you can see the difference in Floyd's strategy compared to Mosley/Ortiz. He was actually more defensive against Marquez.
                      I believe that he knew that Marquez wouldn't fall into the trap, but instead would wait for Floyd to make his move before firing back counters.
                      That would be playing into Marquez's strengths, so he cleverly avoided that by forcing Marquez to be the fan-pleasing fighter who had to make it a fight.

So, if I were to fight Floyd, I would try to take away his strength (counterpunching and timing) by moving away from him and forcing him to always lead, I would try to eliminate the lead right hand by moving to the right and keeping my chin low so that if it did come, there would be a danger of heads clashing, and I would force him to lead with left jabs/left hooks, which can be countered by respectively straight rights and left hooks.

I wouldn't try to make my punches too hard, but rather focus on keeping my chin in cover of my shoulder due to his ridiculous speed, and I would focus on his feet movement/balance, because it's really quite obvious what he's looking to do if you watch his stance/balance/feet movement.

With a little holding, pushing and mauling thrown in, I'd expect to see Floyd a little bit out of his comfort zone after a while, and then we would see how great he really is.
                      If this sounds a bit like Hopkins' style, it's because it's similar. Hopkins' style would be the perfect nightmare for Floyd's style. Cotto does some of the things I mentioned pretty good, but he fails in a few areas. First reason of his coming downfall will be his impatience; he'll open up too much, too soon.
                      Secondly he moves without a plan. It seems like he just spends energy just to do it, for no reason whatsoever. Thirdly he will begin throwing combinations while under pressure, which means Floyd will counter him to death-while on the attack.

Would I win? Who knows, with size and power advantage, there's no telling

Comment

Working...
                      X