Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better WW fighter Ike Quartey or Joshua Clottey?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better WW fighter Ike Quartey or Joshua Clottey?

Both have that high gaurd defence but to me Clottey is stronger while Bazooka has the kind of jab that breaks jaws.

I think Quartey is the better of these Ghanaians

they both seem to suffer from "WTF I JUST GOT ROBBED" syndrome. Quarteys jab was something to be afriad of, and even later out of his prime when he took on vernon forrest 3 years ago, a fight he should have been given, he proved to troublesome for most everyone he faced, arguably, i would go with quartey because he would step up his workrate in tight situations whereas clottey has that rocky juarez syndrome.

Comment

Originally posted by El Jesus View Post
      they both seem to suffer from "WTF I JUST GOT ROBBED" syndrome. Quarteys jab was something to be afriad of, and even later out of his prime when he took on vernon forrest 3 years ago, a fight he should have been given, he proved to troublesome for most everyone he faced, arguably, i would go with quartey because he would step up his workrate in tight situations whereas clottey has that rocky juarez syndrome.
      I thought he beat The Viper too. And ur post is solid thats a good answer

Comment

ike quartey....he was an absolute beast....

Comment

They are about equal. I give the edge to Quartey at the moment, but Clottey's career is not over.

Comment

I think Quartey was a better fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by Obama View Post
              They are about equal. I give the edge to Quartey at the moment, but Clottey's career is not over.
              Fair comment.

I have a feeling Clottey for all his ability wont get a bigger chance than the one against Miguel, everyone knows he's a real handfull and the few with the balls to fight him seem that little bit better

Hope he does tho the man is strong, tough, has a great D and despite his so so KO% he can whack a bit too. He has quite a varied arsenal, his left hook aint nothing to play with his uppercuts are fantastic, his body shots are really good too, plus that lead right is real sneaky its a good punch

Comment

I think at this stage of Clottey's career Ike Quartey is the better and more accomplished fighter.

Quartey made 7 defences of his WBA Welterweight Title. He took a prime Oscar De La Hoya to a SD, in a fight which some thought he got. He held wins over Crisanto Espana (30-0), Vince Phillips, Oba Carr, and Verno Phillips. He should also have a win over Vernon Forrest a fight which virtually all thought he had won but the judges.

Quartey only losses are to elite fighters Oscar De La Hoya, Fernando Vargas, Winky Wright and robbery loss to Forrest.

Quartey also possesed a brillant Jab. His Jab was sharp, fast, accurate and very powerfull, alot of fighters sruggled to deal with it. He was also very tough and pretty heavy handed with a good boxing brain, he was also never stopped in 42 bouts.

Clottey may go on to be the more accomplished fighter as his career is still ongoing, but at this stage Quartey is the better fighter.

(Interesting note that Quartey is Clottey's favourite fighter)

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw16bf View Post
                  I think at this stage of Clottey's career Ike Quartey is the better and more accomplished fighter.

Quartey made 7 defences of his WBA Welterweight Title. He took a prime Oscar De La Hoya to a SD, in a fight which some thought he got. He held wins over Crisanto Espana (30-0), Vince Phillips, Oba Carr, and Verno Phillips. He should also have a win over Vernon Forrest a fight which virtually all thought he had won but the judges.

Quartey only losses are to elite fighters Oscar De La Hoya, Fernando Vargas, Winky Wright and robbery loss to Forrest.

Quartey also possesed a brillant Jab. His Jab was sharp, fast, accurate and very powerfull, alot of fighters sruggled to deal with it. He was also very tough and pretty heavy handed with a good boxing brain, he was also never stopped in 42 bouts.

Clottey may go on to be the more accomplished fighter as his career is still ongoing, but at this stage Quartey is the better fighter.

(Interesting note that Quartey is Clottey's favourite fighter)
                  I thought it was Azumah Nelson?

Ueah his jab and toughness made him the fighter he was, he never got dominated even up in weight against his old pal Winky. I'll never know how he kept up during that 12th round barrage from Prime Oscar!

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
                    I thought it was Azumah Nelson?

Ueah his jab and toughness made him the fighter he was, he never got dominated even up in weight against his old pal Winky. I'll never know how he kept up during that 12th round barrage from Prime Oscar!
                    Here is a interview were he states Quartey as his Inspiration which may mean more than just a fav fighter. He dosen't mention Nelson.

Age started boxing: Six

First boxing memory: Fighting the local favourite back in Bukom, Ghana. He beat me, but I got revenge over him!

Inspiration: Ike Quartey. I followed his career, he was a great fighter.

Favourite all-time fighter: Roy Jones. I love his speed and his energy. I like the way he trains.

Best fight you’ve seen: Oscar De La Hoya-Ike Quartey. It was a split decision after 12 exciting rounds, and the win went to Oscar. It was a very close fight though.

Pre-fight meal: I like home-cooking [African food]. I have a locally made soup.

How do you relax: I watch TV or go on my computer and read my e-mails. People send me lots of things via e-mail.

Pre-fight superstition: I don’t do any of that.

What training (if any) do you do between fights: I always train hard, all the time. But when I don’t have a fight coming up I like to do a lot of jogging.

Typical breakfast: Oatmeal.

Toughest part of being a boxer: Making weight. I’m a big welterweight and it’s hard work making 147.

Favourite music: I like traditional African music. I play it when I enter the ring for a fight and I dance to it on my ring walk.

Last book you read: My sister loaned it to me. It was an African book but I can’t remember the title. I like to read articles on boxing web sites mostly.

Favourite film: Troy.

What car do you drive: I don’t drive over here [USA]. I cannot get a licence here.

Where do you train: John’s gym, Brownsville, USA.

Training routine: I run in the morning on Monday and Tuesday, rest Wednesday, and run again Thursday, Friday and Saturday. I rest on Sundays. I spar a lot when a fight is coming up – sometimes 15 rounds a day. Also I do lots of skipping – 40 minutes at a time.

Toughest man faced: Richard Gutierrez. That was a very tough fight.

What supplements do you take: None.

If you were not a boxer: I’d be a football player. I am a very good player actually.

Last place you went on holiday: Back home to Accra.

Favourite football team: Manchester United.

Best boxer in the sport today: Miguel Cotto. I admire him because he is willing to face any opponent.

Comment

Working...
                    X