Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how would jose napoles do in today's welterweight scene?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how would jose napoles do in today's welterweight scene?

against manny pacquiao?

pbf?

mosley?

cotto?

what about it historians?

He could have beaten any of them, with Mayweather and Pacquiao giving him his toughest fights, although lightweight and light welter would have been more ideal weight divisions for him.

Comment

Mosley is too old & Cotto was never good enough in the first place (and is no longer at his best). He beats them no problem.

Pacquiao fight intrigues me. KO could go either way.

Mayweather fight goes to the cards. That's also interesting because I've never really seen Mayweather struggle to hit somebody, but he'd definitely struggle to hit Napoles. Naturally Napoles would also struggle to hit Floyd. There would be a lot of back and forth countering in this fight, with a lot of missing to go along with it. Imagine the Augustus fight, except give Augustus better defense and a lot more punching power, and turn him into a south paw... Should be a great fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Obama View Post
        Mosley is too old & Cotto was never good enough in the first place (and is no longer at his best). He beats them no problem.

Mayweather fight goes to the cards. That's also interesting because I've never really seen Mayweather struggle to hit somebody, but he'd definitely struggle to hit Napoles. Naturally Napoles would also struggle to hit Floyd. There would be a lot of back and forth countering in this fight, with a lot of missing to go along with it. Imagine the Augustus fight, except give Augustus better defense and a lot more punching power, and turn him into a south paw... Should be a great fight.
        Watch the De La Hoya fight or the first 4 rounds of the Judah fight. The rounds that they won were close, but they won it by blunting Mayweather's offense and throwing flashy, little-no substance shots.

I rewatched the De La Hoya fight and it wasn't even close to what it looked like the first time around. Far from it, Mayweather won the rounds handily, it just looked like it because Oscar thwarted Mayweather's offense for much of the rounds.

Shutting down Mayweather's offense is they key to beating him or at least look like you're winning.

Comment

Originally posted by QUELOQUE View Post
          Watch the De La Hoya fight or the first 4 rounds of the Judah fight. The rounds that they won were close, but they won it by blunting Mayweather's offense and throwing flashy, little-no substance shots.

I rewatched the De La Hoya fight and it wasn't even close to what it looked like the first time around. Far from it, Mayweather won the rounds handily, it just looked like it because Oscar thwarted Mayweather's offense for much of the rounds.

Shutting down Mayweather's offense is they key to beating him or at least look like you're winning.
          I was actually thinking of the DLH fight when I made my post. Don't really think he struggled, just think he gave the appearance of struggling. In other words, the effort wasn't there. It was safety first in the early going of both the DLH and Judah fights. I'm saying he struggles to hit Napoles no matter how hard he's trying.

Comment

Originally posted by Obama View Post

right on the button man... and if i may add, i feel manny pacquiao would have some difficulty dealing with mantequilla's lead left hook and excellent use of bobbing and weaving... and oh yes... mantequilla has some exquisite counterpunching skill... it aint flashy like benitez's or pbf's but as ive seen in some footages of him, it really gives some hurt against his foes particularly lewis and lopez... and we all know manny pacquiao's struggles against good counterpunchers...

a fight with pbf would be a great show for fans who love the intricacies of the sweet science...i feel that mantequilla would be pbf's gteatest foe so far and it would be interesting to see how pbf will handle someone nearly as technical as him (and quite more powerful)...

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
              He could have beaten any of them, with Mayweather and Pacquiao giving him his toughest fights, although lightweight and light welter would have been more ideal weight divisions for him.
              I agree with the above. With today's weigh in rules though he would have been a lightweight much longer too. But, I think he would have beaten all but Mayweather which is a toss up for me. Could go either way.

He's a bit too slick for Manny and punches a bit too hard.

Comment

Cuban born Napoles was a sight to see, but against today's fighters, I don't really know how he'd do. Cotto vs. Napoles would be fun to watch at 47. Jose would beat hoja and Margarito at 47. But wouldn't be able to beat Pacquiao or Mayweather. Cotto and Napoles would be the fight to see IMO!!!

Comment

As my wiser friends alerady pointed out, he'd easily be a LW these days.

One thing I know is I would pay 200$ cash right now to see Napoles and Mayweather Jr. fighting at their respective peak.

(and keeping my fingers crossed hoping Napoles dont get cut early ruining my "investment")

Comment

Originally posted by gibo View Post
                    Cuban born Napoles was a sight to see, but against today's fighters, I don't really know how he'd do. Cotto vs. Napoles would be fun to watch at 47. Jose would beat hoja and Margarito at 47. But wouldn't be able to beat Pacquiao or Mayweather. Cotto and Napoles would be the fight to see IMO!!!
                    Why would you want to see Cotto beaten up inside, outside and at midrange?

Comment

Working...
                    X