20 greatest middleweights ATG

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    Big fan of Les Darcy, eh?

Very underrated and underappreciated fighter this day and age.
    Totally, he is so underated, he beat everybody he faced and he was thought of in the 20's 30's and 40's as one of the greatest in history, when Les was just 16 the great Larry Foley said that Darcy could become the best he'd ever seen and when Les was 19 Foley said that no one will beat the kid. Foley was trained by none other than JEM MACE and Larry taught Fitzsimmons, Jackson and Griffo and had seen everybody. I just don't understand modern thinking, it's not as if there's no film of him, there's even a Complete fight with George Chip so why is he treated like a Tom Cribb or Griffo. As I said before about Foley he knew Griffo better than anybody today but I see countless ATG lists with Griffo there but no Darcy, I saw a list written in the 50's from the U.s. that had Darcy as the 3rd best MW of all time and around the 15 mark of the gloved era in any weight but that WAS just one experts opinion. so way too underated, it is probably because fight film making became good quality after WW2, but the film of the Chip fight is very watchable so I still don't get it. My favorite old timer for sure, a 18 year old who beat the cream of the MW's and never knocked down in 50 fights, did you know that he fought for the Australian Welterweight Title when just 16 ? he was outpointed on the Judges cards but Beat the champ a short few months later at MW, he also beat Dave DUPENA, Sam Langford's protoge at 16 too, it was completely one sided despite Sam trying to frighten Darcy before the fight ( Darcy just replied that he wanted to have somr sparring sessions, the cheeky little bugger ). Les never showed cockiness, he was a quiet young fella, if he said that to Langford it seems that he was supremely confident in himself. I have a photo of his childhood home, it is no better than the place that Muddy Waters was born in but where else do you expect a champion to come from.

Comment

Working...
    X