Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hagler didn't duck Ward

Comment

Originally posted by Real King Kong View Post
      I often wonder how the greats of the past who are often almost unanimously revered, would be treated by fans if they were active today.
      Good post.

I personally don't revere no one, past or present. I like our era better. More than some so-called past greats, I prefer:

Floyd
      Sergio Martinez
      Toney
      Roy Jones
      Fernando Vargas
      Tito Trinidad
      Jirov

and more, including the ones in my avi and sig.

War Boxing!

Comment

Originally posted by Real King Kong View Post
        I often wonder how the greats of the past who are often almost unanimously revered, would be treated by fans if they were active today.
        Yeah I think a lot of it too is that as time goes on/guys retire, guys get more revered...once they're gone even the haters seem to miss them a little...but the current climate today probably impacts today's fighters negatively as well, as you pointed out.

Comment

Originally posted by Cutthroat View Post
          They had same day weigh ins in Hagler's era & no 168 meaning golovkin would be at 175. Hagler is much smaller than golovkin. No 168 also equals much more talent in the division.
          Fair points man...probably explains why I view a lot of modern fighters as better than even the past greats, when I watch film on them...as you pointed out, a lot of the older guys would probably be a weight class or two lower today

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing1013 View Post
            I think I've asked a variation of this question before...but not sure if I asked this directly:

If GGG gets no credit for beating (impressively I might add) guys like Rosado, Proksa, Macklin etc...about 12-15 of those guys I think...

Why does Hagler, who many consider the GOAT at MW, get a pass for losing to guys like that in WM Sr and Watts?

Just seems like two different grading systems to me...and since I know it is coming...I would add that yes Hagler's high of KOing Hearns in that war was better than any win GGG has imo, even if one (as I do) considered GGG the better man vs Nelo in both fights.

But even then Hagler would just have 1 'great' win officially if GGG has none...(as great as Duran was, he was the much smaller man there imo, and Hagler by all accounts basically fought him to a draw)...Hagler also got schooled by the other ATG that he fought, who was 3 years inactive and coming up 2 weight classes...so that is a pretty bad loss imo, based on his performance/all of that....his next best win is a good one imo over Mugabi, but Mugabi himself had 0 good wins in his career.

I honestly just don't see the argument that GGG isn't up there with the ATGs at MW...if someone can list 5 or so other MWs all-time I would be open to changing my opinion...but I have seen film on Monzon for one and would have to give a hard pass on that one.

I think GGG is probably done, his fight vs SD was the first time I saw him be the worse man in a fight (though I had him getting 6 rounds and the official 'W' but feel he kind of lucked into it)...Ouma was his 2nd toughest fight (before the KO) imo btw, not DJ or Nelo...but yeah after SD I don't know what all he has left.

In his prime he still had some flaws, but all fighters do, even the greats...just don't really see the other guys at MW all-time who I would pick above him...I have always thought him vs McClellan would have been a great fight, even though the G-Man wasn't at MW very long...but based on accolades or ability I just don't see a lot of guys all-time I would favor over a prime GGG.
            Bro, Hagler doesn't get a pass, it's just that most boxing fans either have no idea that Hagler lost early in his career or they ignore it due their biases/fanboyism or other agenda driven narratives.

But the fact is, Hagler did indeed lose and drew with 4 journeyman in his PRIME - Seales, Watts, Monroe and mofo Don Vito. That being said, Hagler is still one of the best middleweights but his rankings on ATG lists is grossly exaggerated.

GGG never lost in his prime and I too had him beating Canelo twice.

Comment

Originally posted by icha View Post
              the gggroupies dont care, they blalantly ignore this. .
              Not at all...it is a very good point...as I just attested to...doesn't diminish how great GGG is/was imo though...but yes he has flaws just like every other boxer

Comment

Originally posted by HandsofIron View Post
                Bro, Hagler doesn't get a pass, it's just that most boxing fans either have no idea that Hagler lost early in his career or they ignore it due their biases/fanboyism or other agenda driven narratives.

But the fact is, Hagler did indeed lose and drew with 4 journeyman in his PRIME - Seales, Watts, Monroe and mofo Don Vito. That being said, Hagler is still one of the best middleweights but his rankings on ATG lists is grossly exaggerated.

GGG never lost in his prime and I too had him beating Canelo twice.
                Good post my friend...I think Hagler's blemishes mainly came early when he was maybe early 20s? I would have to look it up...but I agree with pretty much all the rest of your post

Comment

Good post my friend...I think Hagler's blemishes mainly came early when he was maybe early 20s? I would have to look it up...but I agree with pretty much all the rest of your post
                  Yeah you're right, I jumped the gun with the prime argument.

But anyway, my main point is this, Hagler lost to 2 journeyman and GGG did not.

Edit: Hagler was 22 years old and 27 fights in when he took his first L, he was in his prime no doubt about it.
                  Last edited by HandsofIron; 10-09-2019, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Yeah I think a lot of it too is that as time goes on/guys retire, guys get more revered...once they're gone even the haters seem to miss them a little...but the current climate today probably impacts today's fighters negatively as well, as you pointed out.
                    Yea...whether anyone likes it or not, being exposed to trolls and so much negativity, feelings toward fighters and the sport in general can only be diminished. Nobody comes away from social media or forums like this with their love for the sport bolstered.

Comment

If a fan has to defend their hero, that says it all.

Comment

Working...
                      X