No announcement yet.

Pre-season discussion thread nsb pick em 2020

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
    Very good call, man, its something that I had thought needed addressing but kinda forgot about with everything else under discussion.

Right. My system throughout 2019 was taking the range of available odds from odds checker and estimating a rough and ready average, usually I'd use the modal (most common) value and then just modify a little one way or another depending on the number and weight of the other odds... I reckon I was pretty damn accurate at getting a true middle ground of the range of results but I was doing it my head which obviously isn't satisfactory now we got prizes on the line. Also I was doing the translation from UK to US odds in my head too and would sometimes round a little when I got a result that wasn't a multiple of 10.

Also the time point was whenever I put up the thread, which could be anywhere from the Sunday to the Tuesday before the fight. Clearly that needs pinning down too.

OK so what we need is a consensus on the most reible odds site and a decision on which odds to use for each fighter if we're using a comparison site. I'm not a gambling dude cept on rarest of occasions so it ain't really an area of expertise for me, so I could really use a bit of input on this one.

Hmm. I've kinda got my hands full at the moment with the kids but if you can look into in a little - maybe ask someone on the betting forum if you ain't into it yourself. I know Eff Pandas likes a little bit of a flutter and there's a few other dudes. If you find anything useful post back here and I'll huglook over it in a bit.
    https://www.oddschecker.com/boxing

Oddschecker is pretty good ^ but for the more obscure fights, I'm not sure

Timepoint-wise, the time the thread goes up seems right

I think, for now, the system is OK. We should just make it clear that if anyone has a particular issue, they must raise the issue BEFORE the fight occurs, or not at all

Comment

Originally posted by HeadBodyBodyBody View Post
      https://www.oddschecker.com/boxing

Oddschecker is pretty good ^ but for the more obscure fights, I'm not sure

Timepoint-wise, the time the thread goes up seems right

I think, for now, the system is OK. We should just make it clear that if anyone has a particular issue, they must raise the issue BEFORE the fight occurs, or not at all
      Yeah. The more obscure fights is an issue, sometimes I'm scratting around all over the net just to get one set of odds and occasionally I can't find any at all. If that really is the case and there isn't a very obvious favourite we might just have to specify that the x5 isn't usable on that fight.

And I reckon my method gives as good an average set of odds as you'll find... it's either that or we'd have to specify something like we take the best set of odds on oddschecker for each fighter or the odds clsest to 1/1 for each fighter or something, but that isn't entirely satisfactory cos you sometimes get some of the bookies putting out real outliers which would skew things.

And obviously for a time point it can't really be before the thread goes up, and any time after the thread goes up - say doing the odds on fight day or something -means that folk who make their picks early might need to adjust them in the light of changing odds.

yeah. I reckon in practical terms the only way to do it is roughly what I've been doing already, but yes, to specify that any complaints or queries need to be addressed before the fight. Cool. Ok. I'll put words to that effect in the masterthread.

Comment

Working...
      X