No announcement yet.

Clear this up for me: GGG will fight Popkins at 168 but they wanted Ward at 164

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same thing as when Floyd fought Canelo at 152, but Cotto and Oscar at 154

and Golovkin's team claim that he'll fight 'anyone from 154-168' (did he specify at what weight, btw?) looks like Floyd's claim he'll fight opponents at their comfortable weight

Happens all the time in boxing, because modern boxing is pathetic. The only real interesting thing here is why particular posters have a real desire to pinpoint one fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
      I havent followed the Ward-GGG saga in detail and cared even less about it when Ward moved up. I do remember that Team GGG wanted Ward to come down to 164 but just read they'll fight Hopkins at 168....So they wanted to drain Ward but want the old man coming in comfortable.
      Guys tell me this isnt reall
      Ward hasn't made 168 years....he can no longer comfortably make the weight. That is why his last fight was scheduled above 168 and his next fight is a full 175

Comment

there are no real negotiations between Bhop and Golovkin...just talks in case Canelo amd BJS get the shivers down the spine.

So in case that Canelo and BJS don't want to fight they are talking of a possibility of making that fight(I see no problem with that, only if they can't find an opponent)....I hope they can land Danny Jacobs..so we can see another guy Knock the F out...

Comment

I didn't realise the Hopkins fight was going to be at 168.

Can he make 168?

Comment

Originally posted by PointBlankPrd View Post

Ward is a more risky fight with a lesser known fighter.

Hopkins is a less risky fight with a more known fighter.

Good points.

Hopkins is easy to deal with (Kov deal done in a day)
            Ward no so easy.
            Hopkins is more active than Ward.

Before we worry about Ward, he needs to get back on the bike. He can't just sit around and be the best, things change, the tide always changes in boxing.
            Let's see if Ward fights Kov, how many tune ups before Kov? 2-3
            Sure makes Leonard look bad a$$ coming off a long layoff to fight Hagler.

Comment

I havent followed the Ward-GGG saga in detail and cared even less about it when Ward moved up. I do remember that Team GGG wanted Ward to come down to 164 but just read they'll fight Hopkins at 168....So they wanted to drain Ward but want the old man coming in comfortable.

Simple man, its easier to drain an old man than move up and fight a prime Champ. GGG and his crew (fanboys included) love selling wolf tickets and love name dropping. Look at his opponents and look at the build up to his fights, its all about other fighters, no one knows or cares about who he is fighting as long as theres a KO (wolf tickets). GGG is the mythical matchup king. I dont think he has lost 1 mythical match yet, even the dead duck him.

Comment

Originally posted by killakali View Post
                Ward hasn't made 168 years....he can no longer comfortably make the weight. That is why his last fight was scheduled above 168 and his next fight is a full 175
                Hopkins hasn't weighed below 170 in over 10 years.

Comment

Clear this up for me. Ward wanted to fight Mayweather at 160 lbs. but Ward refused to go below 168 lbs. to fight GGG.

Comment

First, posting in bold is ugly as **** and doesn't make your point any better.

Second, you're really asking why he'd take a lower risk bigger money fight over a higher risk, smaller money fight? Really?

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
                      Clear this up for me. Ward wanted to fight Mayweather at 160 lbs. but Ward refused to go below 168 lbs. to fight GGG.
                      Lil G will go down for Floyd but not for Canelo, up for Hopkins but not for Ward. After all the claims of fighting anyone from 154-168 and being the most feared, the guy is a joke.

Comment

Working...
                      X