Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why didn't Joe Calzaghe & Sven Ottke ever fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why didn't Joe Calzaghe & Sven Ottke ever fight?

After reading over the thread regarding Dariusz and Roy not ever fighting, it got me thinking of another all time great fight that would have broken all types of records (:P) not being made.

I speak of two of the most controversial undefeated Super-Middleweights of all-time.

Ottke held his IBF title from 98-04
    Calzaghe held his titles from 97-07

Any reasons why they never fought? Were they ever close?

Sven Ottke fought every single fight in his career in Germany. Repeat: EVERY SINGLE FIGHT in Germany. You get a fighter like that who's winning controversial decisions it's tough to convince anyone who already has a belt to come over to fight him.

Comment

Because Sven didn't wanna leave Deutschland.

Comment

Ottke had a string of robberies in Germany. In fact, most of them were against guys Calzaghe beat - Brewer, Mitchell and Robin Reid were all given bad decisions against them.

Comment

Ottke didn't want to get TKOd after evading 2 slaps.
          Calzaghe didn't want to win to lose.

Comment

I understand Ottke fought at home and all times and received preferential treatment. But at anytime in their careers were they close to arranging a deal to fight at all.

Edit: Managed to find two arcticles from Calzaghe explaining he was chasing fights with Ottke in the past. Years of the article are dated 2003 and 2007.

http://www.boxingscene.com/calzaghe-...-record--11006
            http://www.eastsideboxing.com/weblog/news.php?p=339&more=1

Comment

Would of been a good fight. They are about the same level of fighter.

Comment

Ottke's brutal destruction of Mundine struck fear into the Welsh Dragon's heart.

Comment

Originally posted by valero View Post
                  Ottke's brutal destruction of Mundine struck fear into the Welsh Dragon's heart.
                  I think you mean that Calzaghe's brutal destruction of Manfredo scared Sven into retirement.

Comment

Who would have won?

Comment

Working...
                    X