Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why doesnt boxing sell DVD's t-shirts or Action figures like the ufc??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by corpse elf View Post
    Is boxing runned by a bunch of out of touch old fogies who dont know what cool is? Or dont know how to merchandise? Boxing's biggest main events always obliterates the ufc's our payperview numbers and live gate sales speak for its self..So dont say that ufc is SO much bigger cause it aint...

But the ufc markets the hell out of stuff and has products..why do i have to ORDER a Morales or Roy jones dvd? why doesnt bestbuy or futureshop have dvd's like how i see ufc all the time..

an audience is an audience and boxing has a big one so why not sell us stuff.

who wouldnt love to collect stuff like this..
    :wank::wank::wank: At Your Sig Gift!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sen. Clay Davis View Post
      Because "Boxing" isn't a centralized organization. Its not like the NFL, NBA or NHL where the sport is associate more with the BRAND. Most of the time, when people say UFC, they mean "MMA" but UFC has made themselves the face of the sport itself.

It wouldn't be "boxing" that would sell merchandise, but rather promotional companies like Top Rank or GBP.
      sure that would work fine..hoya company is big anyways..they could push through that..and the great part is that boxers can have some money in their pockets...

is joe frazier rich? if he's not im sure he wouldnt mind a few extra bucks..
      remember guys an audience is an audience and they can start small with some big names...ali vs foreman wouldnt sell? imagine a "Rumble in the jungle" edition, they should do stuff like this
      Last edited by corpse elf; 02-27-2010, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Check View Post
        Why in the fuk would you want action figures? I think it all goes back to a lot of MMA's fan base came from pro wrestling(wwf). There is plenty of DVD boxsets btw.
        Really? The only career sets i can find are fan made ones on ebay, made from videos they downloaded off the net.

Comment

Originally posted by Six Shooter View Post
          Really? The only career sets i can find are fan made ones on ebay, made from videos they downloaded off the net.
          thats so sad its not even funny..boxing deserves so much better...

Comment

I think it is associated with the oldness of the sport, and like the senator said the lack of brand association.

Boxing is run in a shady way for a legitimate sport, and that is spilling through in it's piss poor attempt to garner attention.

It should be run like a real sport, and marketed like UFC or even better WWE.

Comment

One of the major factors in merchandise sales is competitive association. A Chicago Bulls fan will wear their jerseys and caps is because they want to show their support for a team they feel is the best. Someone will wear a Kobe jersey because they feel he's better than Lebron and vice versa. Same thing with baseball and football.

The UFC brilliantly marketed itself AGAINST what was the most popular combat sport in America which is boxing. Rather than promote the sport as the forefront of the business, it promoted the BRAND. It became popular because it made an enemy in Boxing. UFC fans have something to compete against with. "Boxing is boring, UFC is extreme and entertaining". Then came the gay ass shirts from Affliction and other brands. It became a trend to wear Affliction as UFC started taking off in the mainstream.

When a dude wears an Affliction shirt, he's saying "Look at me, I'm extreme and I'll kick your ass and take your girl because I follow UFC and MMA". But we all know they're just douchebag morons.

But the point is, it would be very difficult to brand boxing. You would have to make boxing "cool" again with the younger demographic which the UFC has.

Comment

Working...
              X