Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is the most overrated hype job you've seen since you've been watching boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Povetkin of course.

Long before Joshua, Pov was going to take the division by storm. He shot right up the ranks his first couple of years, beating such bonecrushers as Patrice L'Heureux, and, by his 15th fight he'd won a title elim for Wlad's IBF championship.

Pov didn't fight Wlad at that time though, instead he took on the same kind of fair that got him in the top ten in his debut year in the first place, Firtha level...including Firtha. Not Pov's fault though, he promises. An injury and politics took him out of a title fight for his 16th, pinky swear.

Then, is his best fight ever, he took on the amazing talent that was Ruslan Chagaev in a heated life-n-death struggle!!

Name worthy Wlad leftovers mixed with no hopers, great resume so far.

Fight Wlad when he's old and slowed, put on the huggiest HW title fight of all time including eras with no time limit and legal grappling, and still lose in a totally one-sided **** show.

No problem, there's more leftovers and no hopers to fight and even more champions to produce leftovers with.

Fights Wilder and Joshua leftovers to get a Wilder fight, doesn't take it, just like with the IBF before it's not Pov's fault, he swears, politics and banned substances, like three times, ostarine and meldonium, but, not his fault, politics.

Fights more leftovers, loses to Joshua, and here he is to this day; fighting leftovers.

Povetkin has only ever fought 3 undefeated fighters and only beat 2 of them. Chambers and Wawrzyk

Povetkin has let the following boxers fight for a world title before him without trying to fight them first even though they debuted after him and he was already ranked:
    • Stiverne
    • Wilder
    • Parker
    • Joshua
    • Martin
    • Glazkov
    • Fury
    • Jennings
    • Pulev
    • Breazeale
    • Ortiz
    • Ruiz
    • Pianeta
    • Washington
    • Molina
    • Szpilka
    • Hughie
    • Cojanu

And, I'm probably forgetting someone, I'm sure.

Why are there soooo many highly ranked undefeated no hoper at HW? Because the gatekeeper doesn't keep the gate, he fights championship leftovers to tread water and maintain rank instead of prospects fresh to the ranking.

Why have there been so many weak challengers? Maybe because there is no one to knock them out of the ranks and the one veteran is a pain in the ass to get in a title fight.

Took the division by storm indeed, and, to this day this Tinkerbell *****'s resume is exalted like he isn't a court jester picking up the king's scraps.

Never a champion, not even a good challenger to the title, exposed no one, stopped no one from getting a title shot, just some highly regarded bum slightly better than the other bums and only willing to express that edge after said other bums have been exposed by someone else.

Comment

Kell Brook and Wilder.
      Both guys used someone else's name to promote themselves whilst cherry picking bums

Comment

Audley Harrison more recently.

Duane Bobick in years past.

Actually they were both the same kind of hype. Olympics HW boxers.

Then the immortal Tye Fields. Another HW.

Comment

Several:

David Reid
          Hector Camacho Jr.
          Deontay Wilder
          Victor Ortiz
          Broner
          Tank
          Charlo Brothers

Comment

Michael Grant! He was suppose to resurrect American Heavyweight Boxing... HBO hated Lennox Lewis and was just grabbing on to any and everybody to beat Lennox Lewis and Lewis would destroy them ALL. The more he did it the more they hated him (Lampley and Merchant!)

Recently I would say Roman Gonzalez! HBO put way too much pressure on him but also too Roman Gonzalez changed his style to please HBO and it cost him. I remember Roman vs Estrada, Roman was a much better BOXER before HBO jumped on the Bandwagon and crowned him P4P then the started chasing Knockouts and having less regard for Defense and took a lot of damn punishment to please them and he declined rapidly

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post

David Reid
              He had nice skill but Trinidad and that eye ruined his career.

Comment

Originally posted by tophat1 View Post
                David price, the hype surrounding him was unreal.

Connor benn got alot of hype very early on until he got exposed too
                I'd second that. If you look at who under performed or met the hype least he'd probably take the cake, with in the 2010s era anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Beercules View Post
                  Yeah I would say Chavez Jr. as well.

Dude is an idiot

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post
                    Povetkin of course.

Long before Joshua, Pov was going to take the division by storm. He shot right up the ranks his first couple of years, beating such bonecrushers as Patrice L'Heureux, and, by his 15th fight he'd won a title elim for Wlad's IBF championship.

Pov didn't fight Wlad at that time though, instead he took on the same kind of fair that got him in the top ten in his debut year in the first place, Firtha level...including Firtha. Not Pov's fault though, he promises. An injury and politics took him out of a title fight for his 16th, pinky swear.

Then, is his best fight ever, he took on the amazing talent that was Ruslan Chagaev in a heated life-n-death struggle!!

Name worthy Wlad leftovers mixed with no hopers, great resume so far.

Fight Wlad when he's old and slowed, put on the huggiest HW title fight of all time including eras with no time limit and legal grappling, and still lose in a totally one-sided **** show.

No problem, there's more leftovers and no hopers to fight and even more champions to produce leftovers with.

Fights Wilder and Joshua leftovers to get a Wilder fight, doesn't take it, just like with the IBF before it's not Pov's fault, he swears, politics and banned substances, like three times, ostarine and meldonium, but, not his fault, politics.

Fights more leftovers, loses to Joshua, and here he is to this day; fighting leftovers.

Povetkin has only ever fought 3 undefeated fighters and only beat 2 of them. Chambers and Wawrzyk

Povetkin has let the following boxers fight for a world title before him without trying to fight them first even though they debuted after him and he was already ranked:
                    • Stiverne
                    • Wilder
                    • Parker
                    • Joshua
                    • Martin
                    • Glazkov
                    • Fury
                    • Jennings
                    • Pulev
                    • Breazeale
                    • Ortiz
                    • Ruiz
                    • Pianeta
                    • Washington
                    • Molina
                    • Szpilka
                    • Hughie
                    • Cojanu

And, I'm probably forgetting someone, I'm sure.

Why are there soooo many highly ranked undefeated no hoper at HW? Because the gatekeeper doesn't keep the gate, he fights championship leftovers to tread water and maintain rank instead of prospects fresh to the ranking.

Why have there been so many weak challengers? Maybe because there is no one to knock them out of the ranks and the one veteran is a pain in the ass to get in a title fight.

Took the division by storm indeed, and, to this day this Tinkerbell *****'s resume is exalted like he isn't a court jester picking up the king's scraps.

Never a champion, not even a good challenger to the title, exposed no one, stopped no one from getting a title shot, just some highly regarded bum slightly better than the other bums and only willing to express that edge after said other bums have been exposed by someone else.
                    1) I don't get how you think Povetkin was at any point 'hyped'. He's only 6ft 2 and the champions have been super HWs ie klitschko, anthony joshua.
                    2) We know what Wladmir klitschko did to beat Povetkin. I have never seen more cheating in one fight than that one. I'd argue that Povetkin was a superior boxer in that fight and the true winner. Wladmir had to cheat heavily.
                    3) he failed for meldonium...you've spun this in a way that makes him look like a suspect character who cheating on purpose to avoid Wilder. Why would he avoid wilder when he didn't avoid Wladmir Klit or AJ?
                    he was sued by Wilder, then he counter sued and won the settlement. Actually i think it was settled out of court, but eitherway povetkin won and proved himself innocent.
                    4) 'fighting leftovers' because who else should he fight? povetkin is a dangerous fighter and historically didnt have the money to offer the top guys....and they certainly didnt want him.
                    He made himself mandatory for AJ and got it...but remember an AJ fight pays more than a ****ty wilder fight where the so called 'second best HW in the world' walked away with $500k.
                    if i'm povetkin, id be in no rush to box for peanuts like that.
                    Povetkin got more money vs Hughie Fury.

Also, Povetkin beat Chageav, Ragman, Charr, Takam and Hughie Fury.
                    I would put Povetkin in the same league as the likes of Parker.
                    For a 6ft2 guy, that's impressive.
                    I don't know how the hell you're seeing Povetkin of all people as 'the biggest hypejob in boxing' .
                    Fking hell, if anyone povetkin is severely underrated by dumb americans. He is one of the elite HWs like Parker and Whyte. Just behind the top tier. I would say a B level HW.
                    He's boxing Michael Hunter next.
                    The quality of his fights has gone up with the purses and that he boxes on Eddie Hearn cards now.

why didnt you talk about wilder, who boxed 40 bums...avoided both klitschko's and aj and only took Fury when he was back from a 3 yr coke and booze binge?

Comment

FACT: nobody promised more, but delivered less... than Golovkin

seriously, it is not even close...

but, keep pretending that somehow does not count... if you need to

Comment

Working...
                      X