Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should people be less harsh on fighters who quit in the middle of a fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should people be less harsh on fighters who quit in the middle of a fight?

Too many people nowadays are so quick to trash on fighters who decide to not want to fight anymore and are labelled as "quitters". Roberto Duran was ridiculed for it when he quit against Leonard. And most recently Guillermo Rigondeaux had plenty of people mocking him after he quit against Loma when it appeared that he wasn't getting badly hurt despite being thoroughly outboxed.

After the most recent tragedy with Dadashev do you think that quitting a fight should be acceptable at this point?
    Last edited by Flo_Raiden; 07-24-2019, 10:51 AM.

It's situational. Those two are widely criticized because they quit out of frustration more than taking a beating. Sometimes I think it's ok, sometimes its the wrong move. Victor Ortiz for example, I don't criticize him for the fight when his jaw broke, but I do for the Mayweather and Collazzo fights. Klitchko quit when he tore his shoulder and probably saved his career in the process.

Comment

I think it's the ultimate sin in this sport to quit, outside of cheating of course.
      I get it if your hurt or something and you take a knee and just dont get up like Cotto did to Marg, that's fine.
      But if your just getting outboxed like Duran and Rigo... c'mon now.

This isnt baseball or soccer or basketball

Comment

I think this deserves a bump after the recent tragedy.

Comment

Diego DelaHoya recently lost to Ronny Rios in a fight where he took some heavy shots.
          Lucky for him after a KD in the 6th round he told the ref he couldn't continue.
          In the post fight interview he was asked why he chose not to continue and he replied something to the effect that " His head didn't feel Right " .

Good call ? One never knows .
          But in a situation like that. I say better safe than sorry.
          Last edited by Idunnoshet; 10-16-2019, 11:24 PM.

Comment

If a guy quits like Duran did, that tag should be with him forever.
            If a guy quits like Cotto did, it should be forgiven.

If you're damaged, call it a day.

Comment

It’s looked down upon for quitting.
              It’s big no no in combat sports more than any other sport.

But if a mother****er knows he’s going down, from a logical point, there’s no point to continue.

There’s a few out there though that withstand the barrage and come back and get a victory. Like the top 3 ATG Manny Pacquiao. Only some can do that tho...

But for me honestly, I don’t typically mind if somebody quits.
              These guys do this for a living, they’re not soft chumps. They’re just aware of what they can go thru not.

It’s not us in the ring fighting, so we don’t know.

Comment

We have incredible expectations of these guys. They put themselves through stuff that we can't even imagine - and couldn't stand up to.

People criticise Anthony Joshua for quitting. A 270 pound man kept punching him in the head until he couldn't control his legs! FFS - how did he keep getting up???

Golota was a coward... then we realised he had suffered a concussion, a fractured left cheekbone and a herniated disc. Errol Spence fared better than that in an insane car crash!

If prizefighting is going to change then I can only imagine it's going to be to start taking more of the decisions away from the fighters.

Comment

Working...
                X