Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What the hell does "old school" really mean?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the hell does "old school" really mean?

Not really a serious topic lol but I've wondered about this for a while; when we see a blood-and-guts slugfest like Gatti/Ward, Rios/Alvarado, or even Kirkland/Angulo the announcers would often described it as an "old school fight" with typical comments like "this might as well be televised in 50's black and white like the days of Zale Graziano blablabla" but the same term is also often used for fighters like B-Hop, Toney, Sweet Pea who are pretty much the complete opposites of guys like Ward or Rios lol

So what first come to your mind when you hear "old school" ?

Originally posted by Nagabilly View Post
    Not really a serious topic lol but I've wondered about this for a while; when we see a blood-and-guts slugfest like Gatti/Ward, Rios/Alvarado, or even Kirkland/Angulo the announcers would often described it as an "old school fight" with typical comments like "this might as well be televised in 50's black and white like the days of Zale Graziano blablabla" but the same term is also often used for fighters like B-Hop, Toney, Sweet Pea who are pretty much the complete opposites of guys like Ward or Rios lol

I think of 40-rounders. To me, anything since then is essentially modern.

Comment

Originally posted by Nagabilly View Post

I dunno, different people mean different things in different contexts. I tend to use it for fighters who haven't been carefully matched, y'know, have taken on all comers, win or lose, and who don't ***** about their results. Those guys who are willing to step in with anyone, anywhere and usually fight quite often. Carl Froch is one who springs to mind as an example of this

Different people will have different ideas tho 'cos I've heard the term used lots of different ways.

Comment

same as slick and throwback.

black fighters.

you're never gonna hear of a slick white/mexican throwback fighter

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

boxing experts who have aged often look back on the past with rose tinted glasses. they might call anything impressive "old school." that said, fighters used to fight more often and against better opponents. they'd take losses, but they'd gather an amount of experience that you don't see today.

many of hte great fighters had well over 100 fights. they fought for 15 rounds in championship fights. when not devending titles they'd be scheduled for 10 rounds often, sometimes several times per month. they'd develop nuances of their boxing that you don't see in modern fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by KING MEAT View Post
            same as slick and throwback.

black fighters.

you're never gonna hear of a slick white/mexican throwback fighter

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

slick white throwback:

Comment

those guys who fights often, anyone and every where

those guys who go all out, wars

those guys who have crafty moves that we dont usually see

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Donald View Post
                those guys who fights often, anyone and every where

those guys who go all out, wars

those guys who have crafty moves that we dont usually see

all fine, but the middle option does not go along with the other.

you can't and don't go to war every time. that's not how "oldschool" fighters fought. you can be tough, and not fight negatively, without going into all out wars. don't clinch, don't run, and throw punches.

Comment

Old school = down and dirty. Some good stuff, like slipping punches, countering...but also clutching, butting, low blows, head in chest/face...all sorts of Bhop crap. They learn it in the trenches and want to justify its legitimacy by giving it a name: "old school!"

Comment

I think of an over used term that does not mean much at all. They had some great fights in the 50s and there have been some great fights this year. A great fight is a great fight whether it takes place in 1955 or 2013. Garcia vs. Matthysse might be another great fight. We have some great fighters here right now and they will be involved in some great fights. There were lots of mediocre fights and dull fights in the 1950s and every other decade. Many boxing fans like fighters that are about the same age as themselves the best. Most of the old time fighters usually say the fighters of their day were the best. That's the way it is and always will be.

Comment

Working...
                    X