Henry Martinez vs Johnny Tapia: A Forgotten Classic

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thephantom5 View Post
    In and out of the ring.
    i dont blame him, specially for witnessing his mothers rape and death...

Comment

Originally posted by xcaret v3 View Post
      i dont blame him, specially for witnessing his mothers rape and death...
      That's a good point.

Tapia was always entertaining to watch though.

Comment

Been awhile but a friend recorded that original show and has it on dvd suprised he hasn't posted in this thread because he's a big fan of that era and those guys.

Comment

Originally posted by cooper5 View Post
          Been awhile but a friend recorded that original show and has it on dvd suprised he hasn't posted in this thread because he's a big fan of that era and those guys.
          Cool.

Its one of my favorite fights.

Comment

Originally posted by Underboss
            According to wiki his mother was first kidnapped then years later she was killed in the hospital.

but either way, **** is fucking sad .
            oh, i remember along time ago reading he witnessed it but i guess just the kidnap

When Johnny was only eight years old, his mother Virginia was kidnapped, raped, hung, stabbed 22 times with scissors and a screwdriver, and left for dead by her assailant. Johnny recalls being awakened in the middle of the night by his mothers screams. When he looked out the window Johnny saw his mother chained in the back of a pickup truck. He woke up his grandparents to tell them what he’d seen, but they didn’t believe him thinking it was just the overactive imagination of an eight year old boy and sent him back to bed. Tapia says he is still haunted by these memories to this day.

Comment

Originally posted by xcaret v3 View Post
              oh, i remember along time ago reading he witnessed it but i guess just the kidnap

When Johnny was only eight years old, his mother Virginia was kidnapped, raped, hung, stabbed 22 times with scissors and a screwdriver, and left for dead by her assailant. Johnny recalls being awakened in the middle of the night by his mothers screams. When he looked out the window Johnny saw his mother chained in the back of a pickup truck. He woke up his grandparents to tell them what he’d seen, but they didn’t believe him thinking it was just the overactive imagination of an eight year old boy and sent him back to bed. Tapia says he is still haunted by these memories to this day.
              Damn that's dark.

Sounds like Dexter's origin.

I guess we got lucky that he become a boxer and not a serial killer.

Comment

Tapia was a beautiful fighter to watch. Loved the way he went to the body, doubled up on those hooks, his defensive moves, etc..

Comment

tapia was the fighting pride of Albuquerque. everybody here loved and cheered him on so much. too bad for his drug problems.. i loved watchin him fight

Comment

Just watched for the hell of it.

Also re-watched Morales-Barrera.

Freakin love boxing.

Comment

Working...
                    X