The truth of weight training.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mt102879 View Post
    Thread starter,

Did you happen to read Ross Enamait's books? Because is seems what your touching on are common themes he discusses, which I agree with as far as doing a combination of strengh, power (1-5 reps) and muscle endurance (12-15 reps) opposed to focusing too much on hypertrophy (8-12 reps) when it comes to boxing training.
    Yes! He was the one that made me think about weightlifting in the first place and then I did some more research and got where I am today haha. Why do you ask?

Comment

Originally posted by One more round View Post
      Dude, he probably wasn't lifting properly. These days, we know more about lifting for boxing, and nearly, or in fact pretty much all the top senior amateurs I know have a lifting program based on building strength but not excessive bulk. It doesn't slow you down if you do it properly.

One of THE fastest, most elusive and fluid amateurs I have seen fight lifts weights. He won silver at the World Youth champs this year in case you are doubting how good he is. Watch this dude fight, he is fast as, real long also, and hard to get points on.

If you lift properly, it will only make you stronger.
      I lifted weights when i fought amatuer. Started out my junior year in a weight training class in gym. At that time I was fighting either 125 or 132. Took it for 3 or 4 semesters, dont remember exactly. But I started out maxing 95lbs on bench and like 125 on squats. Every month or so I would add 5 lbs to my reps on everything. While the football players were maxing out all the time I was doing everything high rep. I finished out maxing bench at 205 and squats at 320. I was 139 lbs at the time. I gained the strength from high rep. Granted, if I was maxing all of the time those figures would be higher. But its not brute strength at wins most boxing matches.

I turned pro and did not touch any weights except for shadow boxing with 2-3 lb weights in each hand. All my strength came from using my own body weight in exercises. I was in incredible shape and hitting damn hard and fast. I still say that heavy weights are not needed for boxing..............Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by One more round View Post
        Dude, he probably wasn't lifting properly. These days, we know more about lifting for boxing, and nearly, or in fact pretty much all the top senior amateurs I know have a lifting program based on building strength but not excessive bulk. It doesn't slow you down if you do it properly.

One of THE fastest, most elusive and fluid amateurs I have seen fight lifts weights. He won silver at the World Youth champs this year in case you are doubting how good he is. Watch this dude fight, he is fast as, real long also, and hard to get points on.

If you lift properly, it will only make you stronger.
        Thank you! Finally someone knows where I'm coming from.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
          I lifted weights when i fought amatuer. Started out my junior year in a weight training class in gym. At that time I was fighting either 125 or 132. Took it for 3 or 4 semesters, dont remember exactly. But I started out maxing 95lbs on bench and like 125 on squats. Every month or so I would add 5 lbs to my reps on everything. While the football players were maxing out all the time I was doing everything high rep. I finished out maxing bench at 205 and squats at 320. I was 139 lbs at the time. I gained the strength from high rep. Granted, if I was maxing all of the time those figures would be higher. But its not brute strength at wins most boxing matches.

I turned pro and did not touch any weights except for shadow boxing with 2-3 lb weights in each hand. All my strength came from using my own body weight in exercises. I was in incredible shape and hitting damn hard and fast. I still say that heavy weights are not needed for boxing..............Rockin'
          That is quite impressive but if you may, what do you think about this. Working out 3x a week mixing strength training, muscular endurance and pylos...is this bad? Its been working for me so far too.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBoss42695 View Post
            That is quite impressive but if you may, what do you think about this. Working out 3x a week mixing strength training, muscular endurance and pylos...is this bad? Its been working for me so far too.
            I just dont like heavyweight lifting. We lifted 3x a week and ran and played softball, basketball and such in the gym class. At thesame time with the boxing in the Ams we trained 4-5x a week, pro 6x a week. Your routine sounds good. And everybody will vary from person to person as to how much energy they put into each area. Perfect example, Hilmer Kenty had me over to his house where we talked about my boxing future and he showed me his belt. I learned alot from that visit but was amazed and am still amazed that he was a 15 round world champion fighter and yet he only ran 2 miles per day. Everybody ticks to the their own clock. But I still would not recommend heavy weights to any figher I was looking after..............Rockin'

Comment

Yes! He was the one that made me think about weightlifting in the first place and then I did some more research and got where I am today haha. Why do you ask?
              Just curious. I have all 3 of his books which I think are great. He's a real class act, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                I just dont like heavyweight lifting. We lifted 3x a week and ran and played softball, basketball and such in the gym class. At thesame time with the boxing in the Ams we trained 4-5x a week, pro 6x a week. Your routine sounds good. And everybody will vary from person to person as to how much energy they put into each area. Perfect example, Hilmer Kenty had me over to his house where we talked about my boxing future and he showed me his belt. I learned alot from that visit but was amazed and am still amazed that he was a 15 round world champion fighter and yet he only ran 2 miles per day. Everybody ticks to the their own clock. But I still would not recommend heavy weights to any figher I was looking after..............Rockin'
                Thank you for your input sir. Much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by mt102879 View Post
                  Just curious. I have all 3 of his books which I think are great. He's a real class act, too.
                  Indeed, he sure knows his stuff when it comes too boxing.

Comment

The truth is all of this is possible, if you weight train and follow a body building protocol(i.e- Split routine with moderate weight for a 8-12 reps) without stretching you have the chance of all of those outcomes. But if you train smart and I know some of you will disagree with me on this, Training with HEAVY loads for a minimal amount of reps(1-5).
                    I do supersets of 10-6-8 reps, theory is that the mid-range will provide me with a balance of strength and endurance. Possibly b/s, but it works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
                      I do supersets of 10-6-8 reps, theory is that the mid-range will provide me with a balance of strength and endurance. Possibly b/s, but it works for me.
                      Rep Scheme...1-5~Strength/Power 6~8 Strength and mass 8-12 hypertrophy, 15+ endurance.
                      If it works for you thats great! And the fact that you're doing supersets will also condition your body in a certain sense.

Comment

Working...
                      X