No announcement yet.

Taylor vs. Wright Re-Revisited

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taylor vs. Wright Re-Revisited

Since everybody still seems to be debating the outcome of last Saturday's Middleweight Championship fight between champion Jermain Taylor and Ronald "Winky" Wright I figured I'd make one final thread. This thread is for those of us who have seen the fight at least twice, I just finished watching it for the third time. If you think Taylor won, post your scoring, if you think Wright won, post your scoring, if you had it a draw, post your scoring.

ROUND 1

Starts off pretty decent, lots of movement for both fighters and still a slight feeling out process. Winky throws less punches but lands at a higher connect percentage while Taylor throws more shots but lands the harder punches. 14 shots land for Winky, 10 for Taylor.

I gave this round to Winky Wright based on his accuracy and technical ability.

ROUND 2

Both fighters come out and pick up where they left off, and it's essentially more of the same. Taylor is throwing more punches and landing less, Winky throws less and lands more.

A clear round for Winky Wright, he was teeing off on Taylor with the left beautifully. 23 total shots land for Winky of which 11 are power punches, a clear round for Wright.

ROUND 3

Wright doesn't seem to be doing very much to win the round. Taylor is the aggressor and backs Wright off with his right hand.

I gave this round to Taylor, his effective aggression clearly won it for him.

ROUND 4

Both fighters exchange shots, in what could be a round for either fighter.

I gave the round to Wright because of his superior defense and blocking many of Taylor's shots.

Round 5

As clear a round as any for Winky Wright, he comes out aggressive and pushes the tempo of the fight. Taylor seems reluctant to throw at all and when he does, he hits leather. Winky lands 30 shots to Taylor's 10.

I gave it to Winky. An interesting side note is that even Taylor's trainer Emmanuel Steward told Taylor they were losing points and behind in the fight when Taylor came back to his corner after the round.

ROUND 6

Wright doesn't throw much, he seems content with blocking Taylor's shots and Taylor throws more punches.

I gave the round to Taylor for his effective aggression.

ROUND 7

Pretty boring round if you ask me. A lot of backing down and missed shots, however Taylor seemed to throw the cleaner shots in this round and since Wright didn't do much at all I gave it to Taylor.

ROUND 8

Very close round, a back and forth if you will. Wright's defense is looking good but Taylor lands some clean shots as does Winky. This round could go either way on anybody's scorecard but I agreed with Harold Ledderman in giving the round to Wright on his impecible defense and the left hand.

ROUND 9

Taylor throws and mostly misses. Lampley would like you to believe otherwise as by this point in the fight he's all over Taylor's nuts. I don't know what fight he's watching but it's clear his head is too far up Taylor's ass to see the inring action.

Wright was far more effective in not only his defense but landing the cleaner, clearer punches as well. I gave the round to Ronald "Winky" Wright.

ROUND 10

At this point in the fight it's anybody's game really. Both fighters are doing a great job asserting themselves. However I gave the round to Jermain Taylor because he seemed to land the better, more powerful punches. Wright's defense was good but I don't think it was enough to secure the round.

ROUND 11

Lots of back and forth action here, pretty much what we've seen thus far in essence. Taylor clearly controls the center of the ring while Wright clearly owns the corners and ropes. Anytime he backs Taylor up Taylor closes his eyes and covers up, to not much evail at all. Wright is still able to penetrate his defenses and land good combinations against the ropes.

I gave this round to Winky Wright.

ROUND 12

Ahhh yes, the controversial round. Who won it? Opinion varies greatly. There's not really much action here at all, Wright dances away from Taylor who swings but misses far more often than he hits. The age old question, can you win a fight running away? My answer? No. I gave the round to Jermain Taylor.

While he didn't land anything, neither did Wright and Taylor was at least showing aggression.

I had the fight 115-113 for Ronald "Winky" Wright. How about you?

Originally posted by The_Bringer
    ROUND 12

Ahhh yes, the controversial round. Who won it? Opinion varies greatly. There's not really much action here at all, Wright dances away from Taylor who swings but misses far more often than he hits. The age old question, can you win a fight running away? My answer? No. I gave the round to Jermain Taylor.

While he didn't land anything, neither did Wright and Taylor was at least showing aggression.

Now... ok i respect your opinion but just tell me at one pt in the round he was running? To me it was a hit and move style. There is a difference between boxing which is hit and not be hit and running, doing everything in your power to not get caught. If I'm correct by the middle of the round wasnt Winky still backing him up?

Comment

I have not watched a tape of the fight yet, so if that disqualifies my opionion, so be it. These are the notes I jotted down in between rounds while at the fight as well as the score I felt at the time based on what I saw in the ring. And, believe me, I was watching the fight to score.

Round 1: lots of jabbing and missing...Taylor lands more to the body and a few rights to the head.

Round Taylor 10-9

Round 2: Winky begins pressuring Jermain into corners, flicking and landing the jab and the occasional left. Taylor lands a few punches; but Winky lands more.

Round Wright 10-9

Round 3: Jermain's having trouble with Winky's defense. He missed a hook and Winky made him pay. Wink did more effective work.

Round Wright 10-9

Round 4: Back and forth action all round. Body work by both men, good work by Wright and Taylor in the corner. Jermain might have been stunned; but fought back well.

Round Even 10-10

Round 5: Tough fight. Winky comes back to reassert control and continually forces Taylor into corners. Taylor appears to be trying to time Wright with not much success. Winky really dictating the pace.

Round Wright 10-9

Round 6: Winky's busy; but Jermain's beinning to time him well, catching Winky beautifully on the way in...lands several good solid shots.

Round Taylor 10-9

Round 7: Taylor starts off strong, moving Winky with his punches, even though they hit the guard most of the time; but Winky gradually works his way back into the round, winning the better part of the last two minutes.

Round Wright 10-9

Round 8: Winky controls the action for the most part of the round with the exception of a few flurries here and there. Jermain's waiting too long.

Round Wright 10-9

Round 9: Best round of the fight for Wnky as he controlled the pace. JT fought in spurts; but appeared hurt at one point.

Round Wright 10-9

Round 10: Back and forth action as Taylor is determined to not let Winky dominate and countered every Wright salvo with one of his own.

Round Taylor 10-9

Round 11: Winky came out to take back control...and did. Taylor appears tired. Winky's landing, Taylor's only firing occasionally and most of his punches are blocked.

Round Wright 10-9

Round 12: Winky wants it and comes out strong...very aggressive for him. Taylor's back keeps touching the ropes and the corners...he's very inactive. Dead tired? His eye appears completely closed at this point. Teacher vs student again.

Round Wright 10-9

Final Tally: 117-112 in points....8-3-1 in rounds

As soon as I get my hands on a copy of the fight, I'm going to compare these notes to the fight when I watch it again. I still can't believe the difference of opinion on this one.
      Last edited by K-DOGG; 06-20-2006, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Since everybody still seems to be debating the outcome of last Saturday's Middleweight Championship fight between champion Jermain Taylor and Ronald "Winky" Wright I figured I'd make one final thread. This thread is for those of us who have seen the fight at least twice, I just finished watching it for the third time. If you think Taylor won, post your scoring, if you think Wright won, post your scoring, if you had it a draw, post your scoring.

ROUND 1

Starts off pretty decent, lots of movement for both fighters and still a slight feeling out process. Winky throws less punches but lands at a higher connect percentage while Taylor throws more shots but lands the harder punches. 14 shots land for Winky, 10 for Taylor.

ROUND 2

Both fighters come out and pick up where they left off, and it's essentially more of the same. Taylor is throwing more punches and landing less, Winky throws less and lands more.

A clear round for Winky Wright, he was teeing off on Taylor with the left beautifully. 23 total shots land for Winky of which 11 are power punches, a clear round for Wright.

ROUND 3

Wright doesn't seem to be doing very much to win the round. Taylor is the aggressor and backs Wright off with his right hand.

ROUND 4

I gave the round to Wright because of his superior defense and blocking many of Taylor's shots.

Round 5

As clear a round as any for Winky Wright, he comes out aggressive and pushes the tempo of the fight. Taylor seems reluctant to throw at all and when he does, he hits leather. Winky lands 30 shots to Taylor's 10.

I gave it to Winky. An interesting side note is that even Taylor's trainer Emmanuel Steward told Taylor they were losing points and behind in the fight when Taylor came back to his corner after the round.

ROUND 6

Wright doesn't throw much, he seems content with blocking Taylor's shots and Taylor throws more punches.

ROUND 7

Pretty boring round if you ask me. A lot of backing down and missed shots, however Taylor seemed to throw the cleaner shots in this round and since Wright didn't do much at all I gave it to Taylor.

ROUND 8

Very close round, a back and forth if you will. Wright's defense is looking good but Taylor lands some clean shots as does Winky. This round could go either way on anybody's scorecard but I agreed with Harold Ledderman in giving the round to Wright on his impecible defense and the left hand.

ROUND 9

Taylor throws and mostly misses. Lampley would like you to believe otherwise as by this point in the fight he's all over Taylor's nuts. I don't know what fight he's watching but it's clear his head is too far up Taylor's ass to see the inring action.

Wright was far more effective in not only his defense but landing the cleaner, clearer punches as well. I gave the round to Ronald "Winky" Wright.

ROUND 10

At this point in the fight it's anybody's game really. Both fighters are doing a great job asserting themselves. However I gave the round to Jermain Taylor because he seemed to land the better, more powerful punches. Wright's defense was good but I don't think it was enough to secure the round.

ROUND 11

Lots of back and forth action here, pretty much what we've seen thus far in essence. Taylor clearly controls the center of the ring while Wright clearly owns the corners and ropes. Anytime he backs Taylor up Taylor closes his eyes and covers up, to not much evail at all. Wright is still able to penetrate his defenses and land good combinations against the ropes.

ROUND 12

Round 9 was a key close round I gave to Taylor.

Comment

Originally posted by PBF34
          That very well may be what decided the draw, round 9 was really close and I can see your giving it to Jermain Taylor.

Now... ok i respect your opinion but just tell me at one pt in the round he was running? To me it was a hit and move style. There is a difference between boxing which is hit and not be hit and running, doing everything in your power to not get caught. If I'm correct by the middle of the round wasnt Winky still backing him up?
          Winky was running, not the entire round but at times he was running no doubt. I can see your argument for it being a hit and run style, if he was hitting. Taylor landed nearly no punches in the round but Wright did the same. The difference is Taylor was coming forward and at least trying to connect. Whereas Wright was popping off shots and backing away.

I just don't think Wright did enough in that round to secure it, it reminded me a lot of De La Hoya vs Trinidad's final rounds.

Still I think Wright clearly won the fight. However I can also see the draw ruling but in no way at all can I ee anybody saying that Taylor won the fight.

Comment

That very well may be what decided the draw, round 9 was really close and I can see your giving it to Jermain Taylor.

Winky was running, not the entire round but at times he was running no doubt. I can see your argument for it being a hit and run style, if he was hitting. Taylor landed nearly no punches in the round but Wright did the same. The difference is Taylor was coming forward and at least trying to connect. Whereas Wright was popping off shots and backing away.

I just don't think Wright did enough in that round to secure it, it reminded me a lot of De La Hoya vs Trinidad's final rounds.

Still I think Wright clearly won the fight. However I can also see the draw ruling but in no way at all can I ee anybody saying that Taylor won the fight.

i disagree. he was boxing.

Comment

I'm not gonna give a round by round analysis or anything, but I had Winky winning 7-4-1.

I gave rounds 1-3, 5, 8, 9, and 12 to Winky. I just thought he had the cleaner punches landed, and obviously he had more. I'll take the more precise puncher over the harder puncher every day in a points battle. Specifically to round 12, though, I didn't think Taylor did enough to win the round. He hit him with one or two flurries the whole round, and missed him with a ton of shots. Winky hit him enough, and made him miss enough to give him that round in my eyes. I should also note that I prefer defensive fighters, so that also effected my judging of the fight.

I can't say that I necessarily DISAGREE with a draw, because there were several rounds that could have gone either way. I gave most of the close rounds to Winky, though, preferring his style over Jermain's. I can also see why some people thought Taylor won this fight, and can't really argue too much with them.

Overall, it was an excellent fight, and I'd love to see them go at it again.

EDIT: One thing I really don't like, and I just read Bringer's post about this, is when people take away from a guy for not standing and fighting. That really pisses me off. This is ****ing boxing, not a streetfight. Winky BOXED Jermain in the last round, and did it very well. To give a round to a guy who missed over half his shots and landed maybe six clean shots the entire round because he came forward is just stupid to me, and I'm not pointing that at Bringer or anything, it's to anyone who thinks like that. If you want to see two guys just stand there and slug it out, go watch Gatti-Ward... but I digress. It just really irritates me that someone would put that down as a negative for a guy when he chooses to stick and move rather than go at a guy. I suppose you never score fights for Mayweather? (Again, not directed at anyone, it's a general statement that was brought to my attention through Bringer's post.)
              Last edited by BadMagick; 06-20-2006, 11:27 PM.

Comment

ROUND 1

ROUND 2

ROUND 3

ROUND 4

Round 5

ROUND 6

ROUND 7

ROUND 8

ROUND 9

ROUND 10

ROUND 11

ROUND 12

well, I stopped reading after the first round. what kind of an idiot (no offense) scores round 1 for Wright?

Comment

Originally posted by DiegoFuego
                  well, I stopped reading after the first round. what kind of an idiot (no offense) scores round 1 for Wright?
                  Could've been worse, I could be like some people here who had it scored like 118-112 and ****.

Comment

Originally posted by PBF34
                    me too man

Comment

Working...
                    X