No announcement yet.

Most Brutal Body Attack.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

De La Hoya vs. Jesse James Leija

I just remembered a fight in which a number of strong body shots made the difference: Oscar De La Hoya vs. Jesse James Leija from 1995:

http://boxrec.com/show_display.php?show_id=6885

I remember the fight well but I forgot how short it was. De La Hoya boxed from the outside but used sort of a modified crouch and stepped in with body shots on numerous occasions. I never saw him fight that way before or since. It must have been something he had been working on in the gym before the fight. It was impressive I can assure you.

Speaking of body punches, on the same card as the above fight was Tracy Harris Patterson vs. Arturo Gatti in which an important incident occurred. Patterson landed a heavy body shot on Gatti early in the fight only to have the referee Wayne Kelly call it a low blow. It was a horrible call since Gatti was floored by the body shot and was obviously in a lot of distress. Had the shot been called correctly Patterson would probably have knocked Gatti out and boxing history would look a bit different!

Comment

nobody mentioned shmelling louis 2....grant that it only lasted one round, the body shot he threw n landed on his back had to have been hard hard...and frazier was a very good body puncher, he had buster mathis big gut rocked in their fight

Comment

left shovel hook to the liver

Comment

Working...
        X