Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are you guys so high on Diego Corrales?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are you guys so high on Diego Corrales?

First off RIP Chico, but Seriously every mayweather thead about resume his name comes up immediately.......i remember he smoking alot of low tier fighters, and when he stepped up and fought may he got smoked. he didn't do anything in the fight but follow may around and get jabbed to death..... I understand he was tough guy and a warrior, but alot of people act as if this was a legacy defining fight or something....he wars with castillo were fun and he had a couple other good wins over frietas and casamayor.....but what did he do to have his name mentioned along side mosley, pac and delayhoya or even judah????? Honestly i thought may's win over generao was much better as he was alot more green and inexperienced and still pulled it off.

Corrales was undefeated, had power, tall, many things that can often trouble anyone. The thought back then was that Corrales would have too much power if he landed something. Floyd not only won, but really beat his ass. It wasn't just a win, it was a great performance.

Comment

Originally posted by The Viper View Post
      First off RIP Chico, but Seriously every mayweather thead about resume his name comes up immediately.......i remember he smoking alot of low tier fighters, and when he stepped up and fought may he got smoked. he didn't do anything in the fight but follow may around and get jabbed to death..... I understand he was tough guy and a warrior, but alot of people act as if this was a legacy defining fight or something....he wars with castillo were fun and he had a couple other good wins over frietas and casamayor.....but what did he do to have his name mentioned along side mosley, pac and delayhoya or even judah????? Honestly i thought may's win over generao was much better as he was alot more green and inexperienced and still pulled it off.
      Yes, Floyd smoked him but Floyd was not perceived as the favorite. It was one of the few fights he had where the outcome had a high level of uncertainty. He took an actual risk, a real risk and passed the test so emphatically it's still regarded by many as his best in-ring performance. It's one of if not THE best win he's had.. If you weren't born 5 minutes ago..

Also, you mention Mosley's ghost as a good win? Oh boy..

Comment

Originally posted by Metho_4u View Post
        Corrales was undefeated, had power, tall, many things that can often trouble anyone. The thought back then was that Corrales would have too much power if he landed something. Floyd not only won, but really beat his ass. It wasn't just a win, it was a great performance.
        That I don't doubt, my question is who did he beat before may and who did he beat after may? Considering he lost to may.....what did he do to gain this rep?

Comment

Originally posted by A-Wolf View Post
          Yes, Floyd smoked him but Floyd was not perceived as the favorite. It was one of the few fights he had where the outcome had a high level of uncertainty. He took an actual risk, a real risk and passed the test so emphatically it's still regarded by many as his best in-ring performance. It's one of if not THE best win he's had.. If you weren't born 5 minutes ago..

Also, you mention Mosley's ghost as a good win? Oh boy..
          nah not saying the 38 year old mosley was a good win, but corrales name is always brought up among fighters from that era? and my question is simply why??????????

Comment

nah not saying the 38 year old mosley was a good win, but corrales name is always brought up among fighters from that era? and my question is simply why??????????
            THIS is the reason boxing is the answer to almost anything. You aren't going to find the real answers looking at Boxrec or watching highlights on Youtube.

If you really want to know watch Diego's career chronologically as far back as you can go. Watch every fight in it's entirety and you will understand. The commentary will provide plenty of clues. His performances will reveal the answers.

Generally speaking tho fans get aroused buy punchers and Diego was a puncher. And he proved over and over it again for him it was a true equalizer. He was never out of any fight at any point.. Shame I have to explain this..

Comment

That I don't doubt, my question is who did he beat before may and who did he beat after may? Considering he lost to may.....what did he do to gain this rep?
              well, when he fought Floyd he was Young so he hadnt amassed a huge resume yet. but he had a lot of fights (mainly because of his lack of a solid amateur career) and A LOT of knockouts.

he was a huge guy, with fast hand and knockout power nearly unparalleled at the weight and not only in the present.

he knocked out robert garcia for his first belt, garcia himself was a very highly regarded Young, undefeated champion at the time. matter of fact garcia today dont get enough credit for how good he was.

anyways.. Corrales also knocked out manfredy and gainer before fighting floyd. these may not sound like big names, but at the time these were the top guys in the division with the exception of hernandez and Floyd himself. Corrales had not only beat them, he had completely annhilated them and was considered the next big thing in boxing by a lot of people.

after Floyd his resume speaks for itself. freitas, castillo and especially the great casamayor. because of the corpse he was reduced to at the end of his career people forget how amazing he was in his prime.

chicos career was damaged by the fact that he got knocked out by a cheating castillo in their rematch, was beaten by the much bigger clottey and lost the trilogy to casamayor right at the end of his career. going out on a very bad note.

but if you break down those losses, none of them take away much from the fighter he was. had he not died so Young (i dont even think he was 30 yet) he could probably drop back down and have another run.

not an ATG fighter, but a very, very good fighter. to beat him the way Floyd did at that point in their respective careers is a tremendous accomplishment.

Comment

For a minute I thought this was another ancient thread from like 2005 or something bumped up to today.

SMH, can the mods do somethimg about that dude bumping a bunch of old ancient threads or do we just have to deal with his annoying childish ass?

Comment

He was a top 10 p4p fighter When Floyd beat him man

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx. View Post
                    He was a top 10 p4p fighter When Floyd beat him man
                    So is ggg and people **** on him and say he doesn't belong...

Comment

Working...
                    X