BJS is the new Sweet Pea

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
    What are you talking about?

Man this is just disrespectful to Pernell Whitaker. Sweet Pea literally stands infront of you for 20 seconds and make you miss for 20 seconds. Saunders ran too much and have no good set of upper body.

Comment

Originally posted by Thraxox View Post
      Man this is just disrespectful to Pernell Whitaker. Sweet Pea literally stands infront of you for 20 seconds and make you miss for 20 seconds. Saunders ran too much and have no good set of upper body.
      I guess I never understood why guys didn't follow through on him.

I mean, if you're training to fight Whitaker, you KNOW he's going to dip low.

Didn't anybody train for this?

When he gets low, step right up on him and fire like Loma did to Rigo.

I understand that Whitaker was fast, but if you knew he was about to do it, and you should have known from watching his vids over and over, why not train yourself to automatically get close and nail him or at least poke and prod him? Make him look like an ass. I don't know. It's crazy to me how no one did that.

Maybe Sweet Pea WAS just too fast.

Didn't look like it, doe.

Comment

I guess I never understood why guys didn't follow through on him.

I mean, if you're training to fight Whitaker, you KNOW he's going to dip low.

Didn't anybody train for this?

When he gets low, step right up on him and fire like Loma did to Rigo.

I understand that Whitaker was fast, but if you knew he was about to do it, and you should have known from watching his vids over and over, why not train yourself to automatically get close and nail him or at least poke and prod him? Make him look like an ass. I don't know. It's crazy to me how no one did that.

Maybe Sweet Pea WAS just too fast.

Didn't look like it, doe.
        He was fast but still it looked like no one actually trained for his style. Even a younger Oscar was missing him a lot. Still don’t get why no one does what Nomas did with Rigo, go downstairs, Charlo did that with Lubin and KHTFO.

When someone dips low then throw downstairs at them, no one is the matrix and they can be caught whilst bobbing and weaving down under.

Comment

What are you talking about?

Are the refs just incompetent?

It's a joke how he got away with that.

Comment

Originally posted by D4thincarnation View Post
            Are the refs just incompetent?

It's a joke how he got away with that.
            I'm not sure about the rules here.

I mean, I know bending at the waist is illegal, but Whitaker's not really bending at the waist. He's bending the knees big time and ducking down for sure.

Not really sure if he could be deducted for it.

However, I don't see why guys kept falling for it.

Loma stepping close to Rigo and making a mockery out of him was what guys should have been doing to Whitaker IMO. Not sure why no one did, unless he was just that damn fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
              He was fast but still it looked like no one actually trained for his style. Even a younger Oscar was missing him a lot. Still don’t get why no one does what Nomas did with Rigo, go downstairs, Charlo did that with Lubin and KHTFO.

When someone dips low then throw downstairs at them, no one is the matrix and they can be caught whilst bobbing and weaving down under.
              Right?

I mean, it seems obvious to me.

And yes, I don't think they trained for his style either.

Really stupid, though.

I would train to counter that day in and day out in camp. I'd make sure my response would be second nature without thinking. It would have definitely thrown his game off. I mean, even Chavez just stood there. It's like, 'What are you doing?' Ha.

Comment

I'm not sure about the rules here.

I mean, I know bending at the waist is illegal, but Whitaker's not really bending at the waist. He's bending the knees big time and ducking down for sure.

Not really sure if he could be deducted for it.

However, I don't see why guys kept falling for it.

Loma stepping close to Rigo and making a mockery out of him was what guys should have been doing to Whitaker IMO. Not sure why no one did, unless he was just that damn fast.
                You cannot duck your head bellow your opponent waist line.

Just like holding, the ref should first tell them about it, warn them, a hard warning then deduct a point if they persist.

Also they are not allowed to show the back of their head to the opponent.

So when Whitaker would turn and run he should have been cautioned for it

What are the point of rules if they are not enforced

Low blows, elbows, headbutts, holding, wrestling.

They all take away from the pugilism of boxing the sweet science.

Comment

You cannot duck your head bellow your opponent waist line.

Just like holding, the ref should first tell them about it, warn them, a hard warning then deduct a point if they persist.

Also they are not allowed to show the back of their head to the opponent.

So when Whitaker would turn and run he should have been cautioned for it

What are the point of rules if they are not enforced

Low blows, elbows, headbutts, holding, wrestling.

They all take away from the pugilism of boxing the sweet science.
                  Oh, ok man.

I wasn't sure if you were allowed to duck the head below the waistline.

Oh I know.

So many of these rules go unchecked.

Loma gave the ultimate response- he called out every single thing Rigo tried to go to the ref AND he got him back. That's about as good as a fighter can do.

Rigo quit because he couldn't get anything going by legal or illegal means.

Really, in Rigo's fight with the one guy he headbutted and then knocked out right after, he seemed like a guy very comfortable with cheating.

Anyway, I'm rambling.

Good post and thanks!

Comment

Oh, ok man.

I wasn't sure if you were allowed to duck the head below the waistline.

Oh I know.

So many of these rules go unchecked.

Loma gave the ultimate response- he called out every single thing Rigo tried to go to the ref AND he got him back. That's about as good as a fighter can do.

Rigo quit because he couldn't get anything going by legal or illegal means.

Really, in Rigo's fight with the one guy he headbutted and then knocked out right after, he seemed like a guy very comfortable with cheating.

Anyway, I'm rambling.

Good post and thanks!
                    Rules of Boxing

The rules of boxing vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, and on whether it is an amateur or professional bout. A violation of the following rules is considered a foul, and can result in a warning, point deduction, or disqualification by the referee:

You cannot hit below the belt, hold, trip, kick, headbutt, wrestle, bite, spit on, or push your opponent.
                    You cannot hit with your head, shoulder, forearm, or elbow.
                    You cannot hit with an open glove, the inside of the glove, the wrist, the backhand, or the side of the hand.
                    You cannot punch your opponent's back, or the back of his head or neck (rabbit punch), or on the kidneys (kidney punch).
                    You cannot throw a punch while holding on to the ropes to gain leverage.
                    You can't hold your opponent and hit him at the same time, or duck so low that your head is below your opponent's belt line.
                    When the referee breaks you from a clinch, you have to take a full step back; you cannot immediately hit your opponent--that's called "hitting on the break" and is illegal.
                    You cannot spit out your mouthpiece on purpose to get a rest.
                    If you score a knockdown of your opponent, you must go to the farthest neutral corner while the referee makes the count.
                    If you "floor" your opponent, you cannot hit him when he's on the canvas.
                    A floored boxer has up to ten seconds to get back up on his feet before losing the bout by knockout.
                    A boxer who is knocked down cannot be saved by the bell in any round, depending upon the local jurisdiction's rules.
                    A boxer who is hit with an accidental low blow has up to five minutes to recover. If s/he cannot continue after five minutes, s/he is considered knocked out.
                    If the foul results in an injury that causes the fight to end immediately, the boxer who committed the foul is disqualified.
                    If the foul causes an injury but the bout continues, the referee orders the judges to deduct two points from the boxer who caused the injury.
                    If an unintentional foul causes the bout to be stopped immediately, the bout is ruled a "no contest" if four rounds have not been fully completed. (If the bout was scheduled for four rounds, then three rounds must have been completed.) If four rounds have been completed, the judges' scorecards are tallied and the fighter who is ahead on points is awarded a technical decision. If the scores are even, it will be called a "technical draw."
                    If a boxer is knocked out of the ring, he gets a count of 20 to get back in and on his feet. He cannot be assisted.
                    In some jurisdictions the standing eight-count or the three knockdown rule also may be in effect.
                    In other jurisdictions, only the referee can stop the bout.

Comment

Rules of Boxing

The rules of boxing vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, and on whether it is an amateur or professional bout. A violation of the following rules is considered a foul, and can result in a warning, point deduction, or disqualification by the referee:

You cannot hit below the belt, hold, trip, kick, headbutt, wrestle, bite, spit on, or push your opponent.
                      You cannot hit with your head, shoulder, forearm, or elbow.
                      You cannot hit with an open glove, the inside of the glove, the wrist, the backhand, or the side of the hand.
                      You cannot punch your opponent's back, or the back of his head or neck (rabbit punch), or on the kidneys (kidney punch).
                      You cannot throw a punch while holding on to the ropes to gain leverage.
                      You can't hold your opponent and hit him at the same time, or duck so low that your head is below your opponent's belt line.
                      When the referee breaks you from a clinch, you have to take a full step back; you cannot immediately hit your opponent--that's called "hitting on the break" and is illegal.
                      You cannot spit out your mouthpiece on purpose to get a rest.
                      If you score a knockdown of your opponent, you must go to the farthest neutral corner while the referee makes the count.
                      If you "floor" your opponent, you cannot hit him when he's on the canvas.
                      A floored boxer has up to ten seconds to get back up on his feet before losing the bout by knockout.
                      A boxer who is knocked down cannot be saved by the bell in any round, depending upon the local jurisdiction's rules.
                      A boxer who is hit with an accidental low blow has up to five minutes to recover. If s/he cannot continue after five minutes, s/he is considered knocked out.
                      If the foul results in an injury that causes the fight to end immediately, the boxer who committed the foul is disqualified.
                      If the foul causes an injury but the bout continues, the referee orders the judges to deduct two points from the boxer who caused the injury.
                      If an unintentional foul causes the bout to be stopped immediately, the bout is ruled a "no contest" if four rounds have not been fully completed. (If the bout was scheduled for four rounds, then three rounds must have been completed.) If four rounds have been completed, the judges' scorecards are tallied and the fighter who is ahead on points is awarded a technical decision. If the scores are even, it will be called a "technical draw."
                      If a boxer is knocked out of the ring, he gets a count of 20 to get back in and on his feet. He cannot be assisted.
                      In some jurisdictions the standing eight-count or the three knockdown rule also may be in effect.
                      In other jurisdictions, only the referee can stop the bout.
                      Good post, man.

I thought it might be but wasn't sure.

Thanks for clearing it up.

I've seen the spitting the mouthpiece out rule violated many times, but I've seen refs take points, like in the first Corrales-Castillo fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X