Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: WBC Prez is Firm: Mikey Garcia Must Fight Jorge Linares Next

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1hourRun View Post
    Dont forget Mikey made his own request to fight @ 140 vs. Broner and now against Sergey Lipinets for the second time in a row
    Irrelevant because Garcia wasn't even the champion when Linares returned. Garcia only won the title later on. He's been able to take fights at 140 because his mandatory, Linares, refuses to fight him.

Comment

Originally posted by WBC WBA IBF View Post
      Irrelevant because Garcia wasn't even the champion when Linares returned. Garcia only won the title later on. He's been able to take fights at 140 because his mandatory, Linares, refuses to fight him.
      Question for you. Would you rather see Linares fight Garcia in June or fight Linares/Lomachenko in August?

Comment

Originally posted by deanrw View Post
        Question for you. Would you rather see Linares fight Garcia in June or fight Linares/Lomachenko in August?
        I'm not a fan. If a fight doesn't affect my wallet, I don't really care. But if you want my personal opinion, I'd rather see Garcia vs. Linares because the WBC lightweight world champion fighting and unifying with the WBA lightweight world champion is far more significant than the WBA lightweight world champion making a voluntary defense against the WBO champion from a lower weight class.

Comment

I'm not a fan. If a fight doesn't affect my wallet, I don't really care. But if you want my personal opinion, I'd rather see Garcia vs. Linares because the WBC lightweight world champion fighting and unifying with the WBA lightweight world champion is far more significant than the WBA lightweight world champion making a voluntary defense against the WBO champion from a lower weight class.
          Well I would rather see what is best for the sport by watching the best fight the best.

Comment

Honestly, I don't care. As long as whoever doesn't get Linares goes for Easter. Any combo of the four would be good for me. Loma vs Linares and Mikey vs Easter would be my slight preference.

Comment

Well I would rather see what is best for the sport by watching the best fight the best.
              What's best for the sport is for the WBO to be ignored.

The WBC & WBA champions from the same weight class fighting each other is a chance to see who the best lightweight is.

The WBO champion from a lower weight class fighting the WBA lightweight champion isn't a chance to see who the best lightweight it.

The top two champions in a division fighting is the best fighting the best. One of them fighting a WBO champion from a lower weight class is not the best fighting the best.

Comment

I agree. ^^^^^^^ This is how a real fan thinks.

Comment

uhhh I'm pretty I made plenty of valid points in my last post in responce too your stances that somehow its been Linares evading or hustling the WBC's ruling regarding his mandatory status -- I think I gave proper perspective as to why we are where we are at this point ; In light of the facts a reasonable person can clearly see the argument that Linares has only been looking to fight the best Lightweights before even Mikey was in the division -- as you yourself noted.

also have you been following the recent news? team GB offered Garcia a deal, he turned it down, he also turned down Easter jr. and Miguel Cotto, but its funny he rather fight a Broner or Lipinets.
                  Last edited by 1hourRun; 02-11-2018, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1hourRun View Post
                    uhhh I'm pretty I made plenty of valid points in my last post
                    If they're irrelevant, it doesn't matter if they're valid. Linares had the right to an immediate shot. Years have gone by. He's still refusing to enforce his right. You can make excuses for why he doesn't want the fight. And that's fine. I'm not criticizing him for doing what he thought was best for his career, but his status should be revoked.

GB offered Garcia a deal, he turned it down
                    Again, irrelevant. GB doesn't have to offer anyone a deal. Linares is mandatory. Just ask for a purse bid. Garcia turned down GB's offer because Garcia will make out better in a purse bid. A purse bid Linares keeps avoiding.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
                      WBC should let Linares-Lomachenko fight and declare the winner must face Garcia. Why strip Linares for taking the Lomachenko fight when it could lead to a bigger fight with Garcia?
                      First, this apparently has nothing to do with Loma. GB just said a day or two ago, that TR has still not got a hold of them. Which means Arum was lying, with his usual name dropping.

Second, you force Linares to fight Garcia, because the only reason he ever mentioned Loma was to avoid Mikey.

Third, it would not lead to a bigger fight with Mikey because Loma would beat Linares, and if you know why Mikey didn't fight for two and a half years and you know the history of Arum than it is obvious that Loma-Garcia is not a realistic fight. As long as Arum is Loma's daddy, he is not fighting Mikey. It doesn't even matter if Arum is convinced Loma would destroy him, he still wouldn't make it just so Mikey couldn't have that payday.

Linares wouldn't agree to fight Mikey unless it was on hbo. Then he inferred he was willing to fight off hbo for Loma, after he was already ordered to face Mikey. Linares went out of his way to try and fight Loma instead of Mikey. The WBC isn't letting him squirm his way out of this. You can't suddenly decide you really want to fight someone else when the fight has already been ordered. Mikey and Linares both said they had agreed to fight after each has their one fight anyway.

Fourth, wouldn't a Garcia-Linares fight make the winner a bigger fight against Loma? Or is Garcia already high enough above Loma, that Loma needs to show he can hang with 135 lb.?

Comment

Working...
                      X