Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loma-Crawford at 140: What do you think?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Godsfly View Post
    . loma is the 1 that said i am gonna die vs crawford (in so many words)
    Stop spreading lies, that's what Egis Klimas said, not Loma. Loma said he'd like to fight Crawford in one of his interviews. Show me the proof where LOMACHENKO (and not somebody out of his team) said that?

Comment

Having seen Crawford's fight against Yuriorkis Gamboa. I wasn't as impressed by Crawford's performance against Gamboa as I was with Lomachenko's performance against Rigondeaux.

Gamboa is a boxer who relies mostly on athleticism with very little technique from a fundamental textbook standpoint. He doesn't rely on setting his punches up properly in an organised / systematic manner. His defense is based on quick, erratic and wild movements which is dependent on speed and reflexes. It's a very risky type of defense which works against lower level opposition but against the absolute best boxers in most weight divisions, he isn't able to get away with it successfully throughout entire bouts. He may have some success for awhile until he eventually gets caught through good timing and accuracy.

Despite Gamboa not being anywhere near as good as Lomachenko in terms of boxing skills overall. Gamboa was still able to outbox Terence Crawford for multiple rounds where he was able to land not just more punches, but more effective and damaging punches too whilst making Crawford miss more punches and restricting him to a lower connect quantity. Gamboa's in and out movement was seriously bothering Crawford. At some point, Gamboa actually stunned and shook up Crawford's legs despite being the much smaller boxer in terms of size. Crawford didn't prove that he was the more skilled boxer than Gamboa and had to rely on his weight advantage to win, along with depending on Gamboa to give up his original game plan which was working for him by becoming overly aggressive and subsequently reckless.

It was Crawford's greater punching power that he had due to being the much heavier man, that gave him the victory. Along with Gamboa changing his game plan in the mid rounds by becoming too confident from the success he was having in the early rounds, by becoming excessively aggressive and reckless, leaving himself more open to getting hit. Gamboa seemed to have landed more punches in total but Crawford's fewer punches were more damaging due to him being the heavier man. Thus, Crawford didn't win by being the more skilled boxer but by relying on his weight advantage.

If Crawford had that much difficulty defensively and offensively against Gamboa, then he would have even greater difficulties against Lomachenko. Outside of athleticism and raw physical abilities, Lomachenko is simply the superior boxer in terms of all round abilities compared to Gamboa. Lomachenko knows how to apply his athleticism more effectively in a more organised / systematic manner. His technique from a textbook fundamental perspective is much better. His defense is much more versatile. Meaning that the difficulties which Crawford had in landing his punches on a smaller Gamboa who mostly relied on raw athleticism defensively which was also very risky and erratic. He would find it even more difficult to land his punches on Lomachenko because his movements aren't as wild or as erratic and therefore, the risk of getting caught by an unseen punch isn't as high. Lomachenko also performs more overall defensive moves whilst constantly changing / varying them. Making him more unpredictable and subsequently more difficult to land punches on.

Offensively, Lomachenko also sets his punches up better and far more effectively than Gamboa does. Whilst Gamboa is wild where he throws random punches without fully setting them up by forcing his opponents out of position. Lomachenko has better timing in when he throws his punches. He is much better at positioning himself in better positions from where he could land much more effective punches accurately whilst decreasing the risks of getting hit in return. He is also better at forcing his opponents out of position so that they are more vulnerable and susceptible to getting hit by more damaging punches.

All of this tells me that Lomachenko at his best would definitely do much better than what Gamboa did against Crawford and if Lomachenko first has a few tuneup bouts to acclimatize himself to the new higher weight divisions, then his chances of winning significantly increases.

There's no question in my mind that Lomachenko is the more skilled boxer. If Crawford does win, it'd be most likely because of his weight advantage where he has greater punching power and punch resistance from being the much heavier boxer. The question is, can Lomachenko's skill advantage overcome his weight disadvantage. Time will tell but I think it just might.

Comment

Working...
      X