No announcement yet.

Fights of Madison square Garden

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fights of Madison square Garden

I was watching Ike Padilla vs Leland Hardy(it was a nuclear war) and in the description the fight is described as "Madison Square Garden's fight of the year for 1989". I wanted to know if anybody had access to a list of other fights which were Madison Square Garden's fight of the year and how far back that tradition goes, as Google has been unhelpful.

Thanks.

Not sure about the award but for me,,

golata-bowe 1

tito-joppy
    tito- hopkins
    tito- mayorga

were some of the hottest crowds i have ever seen, atmosphere for a tito fight was incredible,,

Comment

There have been so many great fights in the past
      ie Frazier Ali
      Duran Buchanan

Comment

All I have to say is "fight of the century", if you don't know what that is, then you don't need to be on this board.

Comment

Originally posted by The Smash View Post
          I was watching Ike Padilla vs Leland Hardy(it was a nuclear war) and in the description the fight is described as "Madison Square Garden's fight of the year for 1989". I wanted to know if anybody had access to a list of other fights which were Madison Square Garden's fight of the year and how far back that tradition goes, as Google has been unhelpful.

Thanks.
          That fight was an all time great. I posted a version of it a couple years back here.

The history of boxing at Garden is very deep.

These two pages name several historical fights, though not all.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=3043786

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madison..._(1890)#Boxing

An interesting thing for me was that there was a promotional company was attached to the Garden around the time of the Leland Hardy-Ike Padilla bout called Madison Square Garden Boxing. They aired many fights through the MSG network and had many upcoming fighters like Kevin Kelly and Junior Jones. ironically the company quit promoting fights right before their fighters got their title shots.

Comment

My two cents...

Originally posted by La_Vibora View Post
            All I have to say is "fight of the century", if you don't know what that is, then you don't need to be on this board.
            Other fights that immediately come to mind (besides Ali vs Frazier I) all involve Duran - "Fight of the Year" or not - vs Huertas, Buchanan, Moore.

Comment

Originally posted by Panamaniac View Post
              Other fights that immediately come to mind (besides Ali vs Frazier I) all involve Duran - "Fight of the Year" or not - vs Huertas, Buchanan, Moore.
              yes duran moore was a important fight Roberto's third title on his birthday and redemption.!!!

Comment

I think I did a shitty job explaining myself.

I know that MSG is steeped in boxing tradition and great fights. However, I was specifically asking if anybody knew, or had access to, other fights that been officially designated "Madison Square Garden's fight of the year" in much the same way a fight is designated "Ring Magazine's fight of the year". It's a pretty obscure thing, but I thought if it was out there, somebody on here would have it and I'd just like to take a look at the list.

Comment

Originally posted by The Smash View Post
                  I think I did a shitty job explaining myself.

I know that MSG is steeped in boxing tradition and great fights. However, I was specifically asking if anybody knew, or had access to, other fights that been officially designated "Madison Square Garden's fight of the year" in much the same way a fight is designated "Ring Magazine's fight of the year". It's a pretty obscure thing, but I thought if it was out there, somebody on here would have it and I'd just like to take a look at the list.
                  I searched around for awhile but couldnt find anything about MSG awards...

but i did find this article, its a great read

http://www.secondsout.com/features/m...-garden-part-3

Comment

Madison Square Garden was a big part of the 'octopus' in the 40's and 50's. The 'octopus' staged the biggest contests of the time in their arenas............. Rockin'

Comment

Working...
                    X