No announcement yet.

Joe Smith - lost in all the Hopkins stuff

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Smith - lost in all the Hopkins stuff

Is how humble this dude is. I haven't seen an interview like that in ages. After the fight, on a high, and after a memorable knockout he had nothing but kind words for Hopkins and doesn't even prop himself up to be this like mega star or anything like a lot of young fighters do. When Max asked him who is next he just responds that he's ready for everyone. I'll def be rooting for him, and it's cool to see a New Yorker come through.

Yup. It was hard to see Hopkins shuffle around in his slippers but Joe deserved it. I think everyone is low key happy that Bernard is finally retiring lol.

Comment

Isn't he bragging about how he knocked him out like no one else was ever able to?

Comment

Yeah I do have to give him his props for that.

That post fight interview was commendable.

Comment

His management should milk the hell out of that international belt with easy fights, make some good money and then a big fight like a Stevenson, Kovalev, or Beterbiev. That's what I would do.

Comment

Joe Smith is in the catbird seat, but ...

It'll come down to how the likely Ward-Kovalev rematch plays out, tbh. While he bides his time, I'd hope that Star Boxing are sharp enough as a company to not have him sign anything with anyone else (while also using his good reputation to have the Cleverly-Braehmer II winner as a fight option).

If Ward beats Kovalev again (with the way that HBO has handled the fallout from Kovalev not winning), I earnestly expect to see Ward/Roc Nation head over to Showtime and work through the dept of talent that they have at 175; with the Stevenson likely getting the first shot, Beterbiev(IBF) and Smith Jr (WBO/WBC) are in the wings for the following shot.

If Kovalev beat Ward, the third fight possibly happens (I doubt it), but HBO would be hurting for a legit light heavyweight to put in their with Kovalev, positioning Smith Jr as the first option, imo.

Comment

Originally posted by HandsofIron View Post
              His management should milk the hell out of that international belt with easy fights, make some good money and then a big fight like a Stevenson, Kovalev, or Beterbiev. That's what I would do.
              If possible he should try to face Cleverly and get the belt from him. Then milk it with 2 easy defenses before taking on Kovalev or Stevenson. Guy is still very raw and needs get some rounds.
              Last edited by The Comic DON; 12-19-2016, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Big fan of the kid now!! Hope he wins a world championship and will be rooting for him....especially if he faces Stevenson!

Comment

Originally posted by ComicDon View Post
                  If possible he should try to face Cleverly and get the belt from him. Then milk it with 2 easy defenses before taking on Kovalev or Stevenson. Guy is still very raw and needs get some rounds.
                  Sounds good, there are lots of good match-ups for him.

Comment

True... but I did see a video of him saying he should be fighter of the year..Probably deserves it but him asking for it.... Idk.

Comment

Working...
                    X