No announcement yet.

Roger Mayweather Working the Mitts

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roger Mayweather Working the Mitts

I been watching these vids of Roger Mayweather training a few fighters. These vids are actually from the 90s and he gives good instructions on his mitt work. Check the vids below..

note: the quality and the sound is not the best, but he gives some good insight and the defensive tactics that he teaches are great IMO.

part II

part III

part IV

If FMS and RM fought who do you think would win?

Comment

He's a good trainer and I think he uses his style of mitt work to benefit people's hand eye coordination more than anything else.

Working that fast with the mitts gets you used to a faster pace and make s a nice routine for a young fighter to learn counters and slips.

People have problems with it but I think it's ok. I don't think it's the only way to teach a boxer but it's cool because he's made it his own style.

Comment

part V

Comment

Originally posted by cuauhtemoc1496 View Post
          He's a good trainer and I think he uses his style of mitt work to benefit people's hand eye coordination more than anything else.

Working that fast with the mitts gets you used to a faster pace and make s a nice routine for a young fighter to learn counters and slips.

People have problems with it but I think it's ok. I don't think it's the only way to teach a boxer but it's cool because he's made it his own style.
          you right bro..but what I like about these vids is that he breaks it down and actually goes slow and teaches the fighter what to do and why they are doing it. Good teach tape.

Comment

that's all roger is good for, pad work.... he don't have any strategy.

Comment

Originally posted by Pullcounter View Post
              if you watch the vids, they are good teaching tools. he says that he doesn't have a strategy..ok..but by the teaching on these old vids, his strategy is obvious...HIT AND DON'T GET HIT.

Comment

Originally posted by Pullcounter View Post
                naw your wrong, he just doesn't talk strategy. In DLH book he talks about Roger and Floyd Sr. and gives them a ton of credit for their boxing knowledge.

They know the game, believe me it's just they are very secretive about it.

Proof is in the pudding and when Floyd fought JMM, I KNEW he wasn't going to rush in. That's what made JMM so effective against Pac because he was able to play counter puncher and conserve energy and counter Pac with his boxing skill.

I thought he won the second fight, I actually thought he won both but that's another argument.

It's just a good technique to build speed, faster temp and defense. I like it but like I said, ultimately you need to spar and spar a lot to be a good fighter.

Comment

Roger is overated.. Tell me who's he trained that was good other than floyd?? And floyd is a natural talent, he could have been trained by any other trainer and he'd still be great.. I'd take roach's mitt routine over roger any day because roach simulates where the punches need to be thrown, rthymn of a fight and stuff.. I'm not trying to be an expert here but tell me who's he trained other than floyd??
                  Last edited by johncods; 10-22-2009, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by johncods View Post
                    Roger is overated.. Tell me who's he trained that was good other than floyd?? And floyd is a natural talent, he could have been trained by any other trainer and he'd still be great.. I'd take roach's mitt routine over roger any day because roach simulates where the punches need to be thrown and stuff.. I'm not trying to be an expert here but tell me who's he trained other than floyd??
                    did you watch any of the vids? its some good teaching in the videos. he explains the mitt work and style that he employs. It isn't just useless punching.

Comment

Working...
                    X