Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eubank Sr Interview Nov '19 admits ducking fighters!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dannnnn View Post
    I'm the crazy one? Ok buddy. In your second paragraph you concede that Watson would have likely lost to both Toney and Jones, which is in agreement with what I said so I don't see what your point is there.

Jones did not have a glass jaw in his prime. He bulked up to fight Ruiz then lost all that weight and muscle and boom, the Tarver KO suddenly happened. Now let me tell you something about concussions. The more you have, the easier it becomes to have them subsequently. After the loss to Glen Johnson, then you could argue that Jones' chin was glass, because he was up there in age and had suffered two severe concussions. He was stretched out on the canvas for about ten minutes after the Johnson KO. It's no wonder he got knocked out a few more times after continuing to fight on. Chuck Liddell had an iron chin in his prime, then he suffered a couple of knockouts/concussions and all of a sudden he became Amir Khan. Coincidence?

And your opinion on Toney I'll just ignore because it's so foolish. He was only talented when his opponent couldn't time him? Go watch Toney vs. Jirov. Back in the mid-to-late 90s there is a video of Eubank and Benn sitting next to each and Toney on a video monitor talking to them. You could clearly tell that neither of them wanted a piece of Toney. Would they have fought him under the right conditions (money, etc.)? Of course. But it wasn't a fight they wanted and neither was Jones. As I said, Eubank wanted Duran because he was a come forward fighter and naturally smaller.
    Eubank didn't want Toney; Benn did. "Other side of the street".

I don't judge James Toney based on his 'eye test' era of fighting. I judge him based on top tier opposition - by and large, him and Jones picked off top name guys at the twilight of their careers before Calslappy came along and did the same to Jones and Hopkins.

Eubank, as noted, was a SNEAKY puncher. His strikes were sudden and painful. An old Eubank was giving Calslappy and Carl Johnson hell before they upped the output. If I'm comparing the Eubank that fought in Benn II against the Jones that fought Lou Del Valle, there's no way I have Jones easily winning that fight.

As far as Michael Watson, as also noted, when he was up against career defining opposition he turned into an animal and I honestly believe he would have been dangerous for Jones AND Toney. Do I think he beats them? No, because Watson tended to drop his hand every so often and I think Jones in particular would have caught him with something by the 9th and stopped him. Toney? Close decision.

But let's be clear here. That I think Fighter A beats Fighter B doesn't mean anything, if Fighter B came out looking like the star. Case-in-point: Williams/Lara.

Comment

Originally posted by coghaugen View Post
      29 was an old man in boxing terms. Most fighters peaked in their mid-20s or younger
      29 was not an old man😂😂

At the age of 29 you are at your physical peak that’s a fact.

It’s scientifically proven you reach your physical peak at around 30...

Comment

Originally posted by RJJ-94-02=GOAT View Post
        29 was not an old man😂😂

At the age of 29 you are at your physical peak that’s a fact.

It’s scientifically proven you reach your physical peak at around 30...
        Between 22 and 28

In the 70s, younger again

I'm boxing terms, back then, 29 was an old man

Comment

That whole UK scene is full of ducks including Calzaghe

Comment

Originally posted by Cutthroat View Post
            That whole UK scene is full of ducks including Calzaghe
            Hard to make transatlantic fights back then

Comment

Between 22 and 28

In the 70s, younger again

I'm boxing terms, back then, 29 was an old man
              It really wasn’t...

Look at Larry Holmes.

It’s a case by case basis but Duran certainly wasn’t an “old man” in 1980.

Comment

In boxing terms he certainly was. Different for heavies

Comment

In boxing terms he certainly was. Different for heavies
                  If you’re going to respond statement why don’t you just quote me?

Scientifically and factually 29 is not an old man. You’re actually in your athletic prime.

Comment

Originally posted by RJJ-94-02=GOAT View Post
                    If you’re going to respond statement why don’t you just quote me?

Scientifically and factually 29 is not an old man. You’re actually in your athletic prime.
                    Today, maybe

Newsflash is that the fight occurred 40 years ago

You didn't warrant my effort to quote your post

Comment

Today, maybe

Newsflash is that the fight occurred 40 years ago

You didn't warrant my effort to quote your post
                      29 was still your athletic prime back in the 60’s you dope...

You’re so rattled fella, so desperate to have the last word.

Grow up...

Comment

Working...
                      X