Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joshua vs Klitschko smashes PPV record - does 1.5+ million buys!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's funny how people said boxing is dead. However, the guy they blamed(Wlad) was part of this same record that was broken.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
      every sports fan watched it and many non sports fans too
      Definitely. I listen to a bunch of podcasts & a bunch of MMA podcasts have been mentioning Joshua vs Klitschko like I've not heard them bring up a fight since Floyd vs Manny. A few even had boxing guests on to get deeper into the Joshua vs Klitschko rabbithole.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Fantastic View Post
        It's funny how people said boxing is dead. However, the guy they blamed(Wlad) was part of this same record that was broken.
        Klitschko did f#ck up the HW division with his boring a$$ for a long a$$ time. I don't recall a time when there was less interest in the HW division then when Wladimir Klitschko was #1.

But yea you gotta respect how entertaining Klitschko was in defeat this time, although in fairness Klitschko fights where he lost or struggled have usually been the more fun Klitschko fights.

Comment

Originally posted by BWC View Post
          I live in the US. I don't think it's accurate to say boxing is "dead" in the US. The PBC and Showtime ratings thus far this year have been very solid. It's not at NFL/NBA level but those are both juggernauts. I think with appropriate expectations I think you can say boxing is more healthy in the US than it has been in years..
          How so? If you name Redkach tonight in a local sports bar nobody will know who that is.

Mayweather Pacquiao Canelo that is all casuals know.

They dont know Bradly Crawford Loma Garcia Thurman

Comment

I fully expect more than 1.5million.

I watched it with a bunch of people, the next day I stopped in to see the family and my parents and sister were talking about the fight, they bought it ffs and they don't watch boxing.

Comment

1.5m in the UK?

1.5m in the UK is considered a lot? I thought that would be average for a big fight in the UK.

Legit question.

Comment

Originally posted by Beercules View Post
                How so? If you name Redkach tonight in a local sports bar nobody will know who that is.

Mayweather Pacquiao Canelo that is all casuals know.

They dont know Bradly Crawford Loma Garcia Thurman
                Thurman-Garcia did the best numbers for a primetime boxing broadcast in the States since 1998. Almost twenty years ago. Wilder-Washington beat every UFC FOX broadcast in 2017. FS1 Tuesday night cards looks like it's settling into a solid program. There's a long way to go to get up there with the mainstream sports, but there's plenty of reasons for optimism.

Comment

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
                  1.5m in the UK?

1.5m in the UK is considered a lot? I thought that would be average for a big fight in the UK.

Legit question.
                  1.5 million ppv's in the UK only lands it around 7/8th in the all time PPV buy list.

it's absolutely considered alot in a country that only has a population of approx 66 million.

Also dont discount the amount of brits that watch that fight in bars and pubs. i reckon that fight reached 7/8% percent of the UK viewing audience.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                    Klitschko did f#ck up the HW division with his boring a$$ for a long a$$ time. I don't recall a time when there was less interest in the HW division then when Wladimir Klitschko was #1.

But yea you gotta respect how entertaining Klitschko was in defeat this time, although in fairness Klitschko fights where he lost or struggled have usually been the more fun Klitschko fights.
                    He's boring because people like their side to dominate so when they watch him, their attention span is lower. Lots of boxers do some similar moves and it's crazy how people go ape **** when someone they like does it but scream boring when it's someone it isn't.

Go back and watch heavyweight fights. Lots and lots and lots of fights have tons of hugging/clinching.

All this just tells me is that many people don't watch HW fights. They just go with word of mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by BWC View Post
                      Thurman-Garcia did the best numbers for a primetime boxing broadcast in the States since 1998. Almost twenty years ago. Wilder-Washington beat every UFC FOX broadcast in 2017. FS1 Tuesday night cards looks like it's settling into a solid program. There's a long way to go to get up there with the mainstream sports, but there's plenty of reasons for optimism.
                      Ii wasn't aware of that. Thank you.
                      But when I mention to my friends any boxer besides Pac. Floyd. Canelo they have no idea.

Nobody knows Crawford. Loma. Mikey Garcia.

They just don't care

Comment

Working...
                      X