No announcement yet.

Cotto offered Provo fight at 147.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cotto offered Provo fight at 147.

Now, the question is, whom will the Puerto Rican star face? With the middleweight title off his waist, Cotto (40-5, 33 KOs) can return to the junior middleweight division, a weight class full of good fighters. Due to politics – as always – options are limited, though. Roc Nation and Al Haymon don’t do business, dating back to a feud between rapper Jay-Z and Haymon, who cut his teeth in the music business.

Demetrius Andrade would be an intriguing choice, but he, too, is not an option. Banner Promotions and Star Boxing, which control Andrade’s promotional rights, are suing Roc Nation for allegedly interfering with the 154-pound contender’s contract.

Artie Pelullo, owner and founder of Banner Promotions, acknowledged there were preliminary talks for his fighter, Ruslan Provodnikov, to face Cotto, but that bout is unlikely.

“We’re open to the Cotto fight, but at the end of the day, I read an article that the only way we get the Cotto fight is we drop the lawsuit,” Pelullo told USA TODAY Sports. “And we’re not dropping the lawsuit!”
    Cotto
    75.00%
    Provo
    18.75%
    Even
    6.25%

If Cotto decides to campaign at 147 he could maybe fight Marquez or Vargas or KElly or Run Time if he wins

Comment

The fight is more intriguing at 147. If Cotto fights at welterweight, it shows he isn't as big as some people think he is - he might just be a 'lazy' overblown welterweight after all, instead of a solid JR Middleweight

Comment

Liam Smith, who holds the WBO junior middleweight title, made his desire for a Cotto fight known on Twitter and is a real possibility.

“From his point of view, can he get up for it again? Can he get the hunger back, especially against someone like me who’s not a massive name in America?” the 27-year-old Englishman asked in an interview with Boxing News. “He looked on his way out a couple of years back, then he joined (Freddie) Roach and got some good wins again. Now he’s lost again – I know it was to Canelo, but it’s another loss for him, he’s got no title. Can he go to that place again?

“I’m young, hungry and fresh, I’ve not really had any wars. I’ve got a lot in my locker. He’s had a lot of wars, he’s 35. Is he back on his way out now? I know size-wise I’m massive compared to him, I’m not a small light-middleweight. I’d be massively confident of beating Miguel Cotto.”

Comment

Originally posted by techliam View Post
          The fight is more intriguing at 147. If Cotto fights at welterweight, it shows he isn't as big as some people think he is - he might just be a 'lazy' overblown welterweight after all, instead of a solid JR Middleweight
          Id rather he fight Liam Smith for the title at 154 1t would be much more intriguing

Comment

Cotto vs a Charlo would be cool

Comment

Originally posted by aldo5408 View Post
              Cotto vs a Charlo would be cool
              Probably a total of 14 people that wanna see that. Ruslan and Marquez actually draw interest from the latino boxing fans on Rican day

Comment

Cotto fan here, and nothing would make me happier than to see him retire. The dude has passed it people he has nothing left and nothing left to prove.

Comment

the search for the perfect cherry has begun

Comment

Cotto destroys Provo or Marquez. I hope he gets in there with someone else.

Comment

Working...
                    X