Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Roy Jones start losing at LHW when his competition stepped up?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SergioMaravilla View Post
    Please read the other part of my previous post.

Toney was at SMW, also Toney had a terrible SMW resume. Griffin was a novice with no great LHW wins.

That fight could have gone either way and you know it, thanks to Jones' cheating we won't know.

Tarver shut out Montell Griffin going into the first fight with Roy, he was high on confidence and genuinely believed he could beat Roy. Also yes, he was a step up from the opposition Jones was fighting at LHW. It showed in their fights.
    Which brings me to my next point.

You're hyping up Tarver like he was really something at LHW compared to who Jones already fought throughout his career, but Tarver did nothing more than beat the same people Jones ALREADY beat lol

Tarver actually lost to Eric Harding, but you're making Tarver to be something Jones has never faced before in his career. Why is that?

Because Tarver beat the same people Jones already beat? Why?

Comment

• Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
      Which brings me to my next point.

You're hyping up Tarver like he was really something at LHW compared to who Jones already fought throughout his career, but Tarver did nothing more than beat the same people Jones ALREADY beat lol

Tarver actually lost to Eric Harding, but you're making Tarver to be something Jones has never faced before in his career. Why is that?

Because Tarver beat the same people Jones already beat? Why?

Yes Tarver did beat the same opposition, he was clearly a better fighter than these guys, and was the toughest opponent Jones faced. It's a shame Roy was reluctant to face Dariusz.

Comment

Both factors are important.
        No, but that's just it.

You're trying to use both when convenient.

You can't say "Jones, never stepped up in comp", but then when we give you several names, you say "Oh, well what did they do at LHW".

Find a point and stick with it. Don't straddle the fense.

Jones lost at Light Heavy yes. But he didn't lose to a MONSTER. He beat guys throughout his career that were 10x better than Antonio Tarver; which is the point.

He lost to Tarver, because every fighter loses at the end of their careers. Not because it was his first time stepping up in competition. What are you talking about?

Comment

Yes Tarver did beat the same opposition, he was clearly a better fighter than these guys, and was the toughest opponent Jones faced. It's a shame Roy was reluctant to face Dariusz.
          Tarver lost to Eric Harding before fighting Jones. Tarver was not better than Virgil Hill; whom Jones already fought and stopped early.

Tarver was no beast.

Why are you trying to say Jones didn't start losing until he stepped up in competition as if Tarver was some kind of ATG?

Comment

• Tarver is an ATG but Toney sucked. Right :rolleyes9:

Comment

Dariusz was the lineal champion, and had a claim to all of Roy's belts. Roy Jones' PPV numbers were terrible, whilst DM was selling out soccer stadiums in Germany, so Roy should have travelled. Dariusz was even willing to come to America.

I have to disagree that Roy was willing to fight everyone, the likes of Eubank, Collins, Benn, Mclellan and Nunn were desperate to fight Jones. Also, Calzaghe often made clear he wanted to fight Jones and Hopkins wanted a rematch.

Have a read of this

http://a.espncdn.com/boxing/columns/graham/1230263.html
              LMAO Eubank, Calzaghe and Collins?

Serious question, were you around at the time?

Serious question?

IF you were, then you would know that, at the time, Europe fighters had to come to the US to really prove themselves. Not until recently, with the K2 bros, did Americans have to start going to Europe.

You even trying to make this point shows that you were not even around at the time but are a boxrec banger.

Comment

• Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
                Tarver lost to Eric Harding before fighting Jones. Tarver was not better than Virgil Hill; whom Jones already fought and stopped early.

Tarver was no beast.

Why are you trying to say Jones didn't start losing until he stepped up in competition as if Tarver was some kind of ATG?

Virgil Hill was coming off a loss. Tarver is no ATG, but he certainly was a very a good fighter, on a good run and he genuinely believed he could beat Roy.

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
                LMAO Eubank, Calzaghe and Collins?

Serious question, were you around at the time?

Serious question?

IF you were, then you would know that, at the time, Europe fighters had to come to the US to really prove themselves. Not until recently, with the K2 bros, did Americans have to start going to Europe.

You even trying to make this point shows that you were not even around at the time but are a boxrec banger.

Take a look at these quotes you fanboy.

Collins came to America, and tried to call out Roy Jones to his face. Roy clearly messed Collins around in negotiations and didn't want to fight him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0Erh4RKbHE

'Regarding Roy Jones, for instance, there were political barriers. But when I broke down those barriers for us to fight, he didn't want to fight for me. He wouldn't fight me. I take that as a compliment.'
                http://www.fightsaga.com/Features/it...d-Chris-Eubank

EUBANK

Chris Eubank: People always ask me why I never fought Roy Jones. The reason is simple, Roy Jones was never my mandatory contender and I was never his. He used to call me up over the phone and say "Eubank, stop hiding and give Roy a shot", but at that time he was not a big name and there would of been no need to fight him, it would of been abit random. When 1996 was on the scene, I wanted to fight Roy Jones in his backyard and even told HBO that I'd publicly bet $1,000,000 on knocking him out in the 1st-round. When I rang Roy Jones, he hung up on me every time. He wouldn't fight me when I was no longer champion, he didn't want to take risks you see. I can say this about a fight with Roy Jones, if he had been my mandatory I would of fought him, I am a professional. People think that I would of made a fight with him become boring and louzy, I would not have done. If you hold back against that guy, he will hurt you and stun you before you have the chance to throw your best shots at him and by then it's too late because they won't be your best shots, you will be hurt and stunned already. If you give him the chance to view and the time to get set, he will land first because his quickness and timing is that good. That's why I would of made it an all-out war with him, so that I'd have more chance of throwing my best shots at him and so there would be less chance of him landing his best shots on me. You don't want to make life easy for him, I would of stood as good a chance as anybody of beating him. Roy Jones would of came out of the fight in bad shape, but I would of came out worse off!

QUESTION: Steve, Roy Jones Jnr showed absolutely no interest in fighting you for a unification fight at super-middleweight. It's difficult to believe that the man who has been the best pound-for-pound fighter for the past 10 years or more would have been scared of you in the slightest. What was the real reason the fight never even got to the negotiation table?
                James Slattery

STEVE COLLINS: Well James, I travelled to Pensacola to see Roy Jones fight and I actually climbed into the ring after his fight. I accused him of avoiding me and I challenged him live on national TV. At the post-fight conference I spoke to Jones and the press, I called him a coward and a yellow dog and I offered to fight him, winners take all. I would have beaten Roy Jones and he knew it!

BENN

Q: You never did get it on with Roy, why was that? Who was ducking who Nigel?
                NB: It's not for me to say. But I'll tell you this - Jones had a choice, his choice was to fight the champion Nigel Benn in a barn-burner or the contender Bernard Hopkins in a snooze-fest. He chose Bernard Hopkins. Jones can't deny that because it's what happened. He won one of the WBC International belts at super middle at the same time that I was the main WBC super middle belt holder, when Chris Eubank had one of those WBC International belts he landed a fight with me shortly after. Okay, Jones had been the mandatory for the IBF middle but he was also offered the chance to fight me for my main WBC belt at his new weight and I was up for it. I was right up for it. I saw some of his fights and rubbed my hands together because I knew it could be a right old tear-up. But why would Jones drop back down to middle to fight for a lesser title? I don't know, only he can answer that.

Calzaghe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=1jVrFZDxZS0

6:45 in. "For 2 years Calzaghe has chased pound for pound number one Roy Jones, but to no avail".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=1qeXpJlLNzs

*THIS VIDEO IS ON YOUTUBE: 'Roy Jones jr looks ahead to Calzaghe'*

Steve Bunce: When did Joe first pop up in a conversation?

Roy Jones: When he beat Chris Eubank I started watching him then.

Steve Bunce: 1997

Roy Jones: I knew it then...but he then kinda backed down on the opponents he was fighting so I RELEASED THE IDEA OF IT [fighting Joe].

So Jones admits he was aware of Joe early on, but wasn't interested in fighting him.

BBC, 21st November 2001.
                "It's all very well being the best in the world, but you need big names for big fights," he reflects.

A fight with the Eric Lucas, the WBC champion, is a possibility, but unification fights are notoriously hard and expensive to arrange.

As is a bout with Roy Jones.

"To be honest I'm getting quite fed up with it," Calzaghe said.

A bout against the undisputed light heavyweight champion has been the subject of ongoing speculation.

"It's difficult because of the different networks involved. He's with HBO and I'm with Showtime - that's a massive obstacle in itself.

"Secondly, you've got to ask yourself whether Roy Jones would want to fight me.
                "At the moment he picks his own opponents, fights the easiest guys he can and gets a lot of money for beating them.

"I'm dangerous and I can take the mega money out of his pocket. Why would he want to fight me?

Jones himself made the statement that he did not go fight him because it was too risky be it in the UK or states...he stated that on National TV while commentating on Calzaghe/Hopkins those words exactly get a copy of the fight and find out yourself....If Jones said it himself then any argument you have is out the window because Jones stated nothing about why should I have...I was ranked #1 he was ranked # whatever he said...IT WAS TOO RISKY FOR ME AT THAT TIME ESPECIALLY IF I HAD TO GO TO THE UK... he added nothing in on it....

roy jones the man who fought Richard Frazier the part time cop and then bragged about his greatness afterward....

http://www.****************/boxing-f...once-more.html

Former four-division champion Roy Jones Jr, speaking with The Sunday Times, responded to Joe Calzaghe's recent claim of chasing Jones for several years and being brushed aside. Calzaghe spoke with The Sunday Mirror and appeared to have some newfound hostility when Jones' name came up.

"I spent five or six years chasing Jones and he acted like he never even knew my name," said Calzaghe. "Suddenly, I beat Hopkins in Vegas and Jones wants to be my neighbor - it's ridiculous. If a fight with Jones made sense from a cash point of view, then it could happen, but he is notorious for asking for too much money."

Jones says that he viewed Calzaghe as a possible opponent several years ago, but at the time he saw no reason to travel to Wales to chase the fight. Now that Calzaghe is the bigger star, Jones is willing to make the fight anywhere.

“I saw Joe as a potential opponent a long time ago,” Jones said. “But I had my eyes on higher things, such as winning the heavyweight title, so it was nothing against Joe, I love everything about him. He’s a fun guy, an entertaining guy, a good person. We took some pictures together with his sons after the fight on Saturday and we’ve talked on the phone. But boxing is business. When I was the best pound-for-pound boxer in the world it wouldn’t have been smart for me to go and fight Joe.

”You don’t go to somebody else when you’re the best, they must come to you, so I wouldn’t take the risk, and why would I? Why would I meet that challenge when I’m already the best? Why would I go to your country and give you a chance to allow the powers that be to take a close decision and give it to you?"

Jones says a fight with Calzaghe is the best fight in boxing, even better than a possible rematch between Oscar De La Hoya and Floyd Mayweather Jr, scheduled for September.

“But right now this is the best fight out there, better than the Oscar De La Hoya-Floyd Mayweather rematch because we all know what the outcome of that fight is going to be – another win for Floyd. You don’t know the outcome of this fight, however, so it’s a fight people are going to want to see. There’s suspense, and that’s what makes for a big fight," Jones says.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/BOXING...SH.-a091559984

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhSxpemf838

Go to 26:50 and listen to Frank Warren and Calzaghe talking about Roy Jones

Comment

Hi there, I'm merely discussing an interesting topic. Roy was getting outboxed, and was down on one judges and many fans scorecards at the time he got DQ'd. Remember, he KD'd Griffin in round 7, and Griffin got up to go on a dominate round 8. Griffin still had the composure to take a knee and buy himself time in round 9, he may well have gone on to win that fight on the scorecards.

It seems you have made up your mind also.
                  The first fight is up on youtube and just re watched it
                  In no way or form was Roy getting outboxed period, the only thing that could be said is that Roy seemed so sure of his abilitys that he kinda cruzed through the fight.
                  In the second fight it was a complete mismatch and blew him away in the first round.

Not exactly blueprint to beat Roy matrial
                  Last edited by 110110110; 05-13-2012, 11:31 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 110110110 View Post
                    The first fight is up on youtube and just re watched it
                    In no way or form was Roy getting outboxed period, the only thing that could be said is that Roy seemed so sure of his abilitys that he kinda cruzed through the fight.
                    In the second fight it was a complete mismatch and blew him away in the first round.

Not exactly blueprint to beat Roy matrial

You clearly didn't watch the fight did you? Jones was getting backed up against the ropes, where Griffin was attacking him, going to the body and scoring points. Jones' jab was awful. If he wasn't getting outboxed at all as you say, why was he down on one judges scorecard?

Comment

You clearly didn't watch the fight did you? Jones was getting backed up against the ropes, where Griffin was attacking him, going to the body and scoring points. Jones' jab was awful. If he wasn't getting outboxed at all as you say, why was he down on one judges scorecard?
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhzjiVpnrOo

Yes I did watch It and Roy was winning he even droped montel in the seventh round ,and landed so many hard straight rights to the head that its a miracle montel made it as far as he did .

Your logic reminds me of those who say marquez dominated Pac in the 3 fight because Pac was suppose to knock him out in three but the fight was semi close.

And why do you keep mentioning that he was down on one score card,that seem kinda stupid when he was up on the two other cards which means he was winning the fight.

You keep on bluntly ignoring the fact that Roy demolished montel in one round in there second fight why is that? because then you whole point is lost.

Lest play theory, lest say the fight was close

Floyd had a ten times tougher fight with Castillo in there first fight ,and in the second fight floyd won a hard fought 12 round decision, we all agree that floyd is the superior boxer right ?

If Floyd had knocked out Castillo in the first round in there second fight no one would ever be arguing whether Castillo had floyds number.
                      Last edited by 110110110; 05-13-2012, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X