No announcement yet.

What does Limey Lang Mean??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does Limey Lang Mean??

is this some kind of american slang name for us Brits or summit??

Lang is short for Language.

Here is an explanation for Limey -

Limey is an old American and Canadian slang nickname for the British, originally referring to British sailors.

The term is believed to derive from lime juice, referring to the Royal Navy and Merchant Navy practice of supplying lime juice to British sailors to prevent scurvy.

The benefits of citrus juice were well known at the time thanks to the acute observations of surgeon James Lind who noticed that the cabbage-eating Dutch had fewer problems with scurvy[citation needed].

Limes replaced lemons due to limes being more readily available from Britain's own Caribbean colonies. Lemon juice was reintroduced after scurvy again became a problem due to lime juice lacking sufficient vitamin C.

The term is thought to have originated in the Caribbean in the 1880s.[citation needed] A false etymology is that it is a derivative of "Corr-blimey" ("God blind me!" or "God blight me!").

"Limey" reference to British citizens may also have origins of reference to the white cliffs of Dover composition of lime.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limey

Comment

aye,

Comment

Originally posted by The RealDeal View Post
        Lang is short for Language.

Here is an explanation for Limey -

Limey is an old American and Canadian slang nickname for the British, originally referring to British sailors.

The term is believed to derive from lime juice, referring to the Royal Navy and Merchant Navy practice of supplying lime juice to British sailors to prevent scurvy.

The benefits of citrus juice were well known at the time thanks to the acute observations of surgeon James Lind who noticed that the cabbage-eating Dutch had fewer problems with scurvy[citation needed].

Limes replaced lemons due to limes being more readily available from Britain's own Caribbean colonies. Lemon juice was reintroduced after scurvy again became a problem due to lime juice lacking sufficient vitamin C.

The term is thought to have originated in the Caribbean in the 1880s.[citation needed] A false etymology is that it is a derivative of "Corr-blimey" ("God blind me!" or "God blight me!").

"Limey" reference to British citizens may also have origins of reference to the white cliffs of Dover composition of lime.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limey

Good schooling on "Limey".

As far as "Lang"...really? Well, I always thought it was a play off of Pinoy Lang. "Lang" in Tagalog means "only". So, it would be:

Pinoy Only/Lang
        Limey Only/Lang

I could of swore one of the BS OG's put it out. I think it was Chups. Anyways, the very first post of Limey Lang refers to the popularity of Pinoy Lang, hence its establishment?

I guess "Lang" meaning "Language" would be the professional or politically correct way of going about it...
        Last edited by Little Mac; 01-24-2010, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Mac View Post
          Good schooling on "Limey".

As far as "Lang"...really? Well, I always thought it was a play off of Pinoy Lang. "Lang" in Tagalog means "only". So, it would be:

Pinoy Only/Lang
          Limey Only/Lang

I could of swore one of the BS OG's put it out. I think it was Chups. Anyways, the very first post of Limey Lang refers to the popularity of Pinoy Lang, hence it's establishment?

I guess "Lang" meaning "Language" would be the professional or politically correct way of going about it...

You might be right, I just used common sense and saw Lang as short hand for language.

Comment

thanks for the answer my children ;P

Comment

Working...
            X