Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making a training regime

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another word of advice. Build up to everything. If you are starting out running, build up over a couple weeks. When I started running 15 minutes at a good pace was difficult, now I can run for 50 minutes incorporating sprints and hills and not get very winded. I also train cardio with my mouthpiece in.

Comment

Originally posted by tcbender View Post
      Sounds like if he's doing boxing on tuesday/thurs then he's prob in a boxing gym?

There are a lot of things that you can do at home, but I agree with others that you shouldn't throw punches until you join a gym. I trained for a few months at home to get my cardio/conditioning up before joining a gym, but I didn't really do any boxing specific training (ie hitting the heavybag, or even really throw punches until I joined the gym).

I'll post my specific training routine when I get home, but before I do I want to stress that nutrition and diet are going to be your best friend if you really are serious.

In the meantime start running at least 3 times a week (if possible first then when you wake up). I do 3 different type of runs (sprint specific, normal pace with some higher intensity periods, or slow steady recovery run).

If I'm in the gym on the treadmill (which I don't prefer) I'll run at about a 10 minute mile speed and alternate running and high knees :30 seconds on and :30 seconds off. Keep your hands up in guard position during the :30 seconds off, or throw in some punches while running (not like full force snappy punches but more so to get a bit of a rhythm and movement)
      He doesn't train in a boxing gym he trains in a weightlifting gym like LA Fitness or Planet Fitness or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.MojoRisin' View Post
        He doesn't train in a boxing gym he trains in a weightlifting gym like LA Fitness or Planet Fitness or something.
        Planet Fitness still around? LA Fitness seems to be the new Golds... popping up everywhere.

Comment

im in a similar boat, im doing boxing twice a week at a muay thai gym (they only have 2 boxing sessions per week), but at nights every week night i go to a lifting 24/7 gym hit weights and cardio and do some rounds practicing technique on the bag they have. I've just been doing the starting strength routine with some abs and arm isolations at the end. then run 2km on the treadmill (aiming to build up to 3km over the next few weeks) then jump rope for 5 min then do 5x3 min rounds on the bag working on form mainly.

it's all i can do now until i find a dedicated hardcore boxing gym near me or get to afford the more expensive one in town

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
            Planet Fitness still around?
            Haha. They're now spreading internationally — I'm not surprised. Excluding the barbell bench press workout the gym is still good for a decent upper body workout — but then again who wants to go to Planet Fitness.

Comment

Post your diet, I'll take a look

Comment

Originally posted by DONTRAY View Post
                Haha. They're now spreading internationally — I'm not surprised. Excluding the barbell bench press workout the gym is still good for a decent upper body workout — but then again who wants to go to Planet Fitness.
                I havent seen as many, but I see LA Fitness all over the place. Golds is making a slow comeback too.

Comment

Working...
                X