No announcement yet.

Stephen Thompson wants kick to knee to be illegal strike

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stephen Thompson wants kick to knee to be illegal strike

When Stephen Thomspon came up short against Darren Till at UFC Liverpool, he lost more than a fight, he also lost some of the functionality in his knee — and now he wants the UFC to do something to keep it from happening in the future.

Speaking recently with BJPenn.com, “Wonderboy” revealed that Till’s targeting of his lead knee with side kicks was a very effective strategy in their fight, one that ended up tearing his MCL.

“You know, there was one thing that really slowed me down during the fight and that was the side kick to the knee,” said Thompson. “It caught me just right in the center of the knee in the first or second round. I believe it was the second round if I remember correctly. But yeah man I heard some cracking and popping and it slowed me down tremendously so it was hard for me to move around the way I wanted to. I was also worried that if he hit it again the fight would be over. Not just that but also my career. It would have been devastating to tear my ACL for a second time. But yeah after watching the fight, you know, there’s always something you can go back and work on.”

“You know I tore my MCL in the fight with Till,” Thompson continued. “We did an MRI and thankfully nothing else was damaged. No surgery is required for this injury but I have to give it at least eight weeks to heal properly before I can get back to training.”

Aside from in the fifth round when Till nearly knocked Thompson out, the side kicks to Wonderboy’s legs were the most effective strikes of the fight for Till. The strikes were so effective, in fact, that Thompson wants them to be banned from MMA for the damage they can cause.

“I honestly think that strike should be made illegal,” Thompson said. “It could end somebody’s career. You know Robert Whittaker had to have ACL surgery following his first fight with Yoel Romero due to that particular strike. And as you could see, Robert Whittaker made sure to beat Yoel Romero to the punch in their second fight. He threw a lot more than he did this time around. It is just a very dangerous technique.

“I think a lot of fighters throw that strike but sometimes it is for different reasons. When I fought Jorge Masvidal he used that same side kick to the knee. But when Jorge threw it, he was doing so just to keep me away. Not in an attempt to injure my knee. But when I was in the cage fighting Till it felt like, ‘Okay this guy is trying to break my leg.’ It was like he had intentions of ripping everything out in my knee. That’s how I felt anyway. Like this dude is really trying to injure me in here. I think it an ugly strike and that it should be made illegal.”

The stepping side kick to the knee has gained popularity in MMA in recent years as both a way of hobbling an opponent and a method of maintaining distance without exposing the striker to having their kick caught. Jon Jones was among the first to popularize the technique in recent years and also caught flak for throwing the strike.

Thompson will be out for a minimum of eight weeks while he recovers from the injury. When he returns, it will be to the back of a fairly clogged line of welterweight contenders, having dropped to number four in the rankings following his loss to Till.

You think this should be illegal too? Didn't Jon Jones used to do that kick too? As long as the leg kicks behind the knee and thigh are still legal, I'd be fine with that.

Comment

might as well ban punching to the face too then lol..

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by bigjavi973 View Post
          lolololololololol

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
            lolololololololol
            its just stupid

i remember reading i forget which mma "legend" it was saying that they should get rid of any and all elbow shots

Comment

How do you guys see nothing wrong with that strike? Knee injuries can be career enders. That's a dirty ass move. You really think you should be able to win a fight by snapping somebody's knee?

Comment

Originally posted by $Bullsfam$ View Post
                How do you guys see nothing wrong with that strike? Knee injuries can be career enders. That's a dirty ass move. You really think you should be able to win a fight by snapping somebody's knee?
                I think it was the ramage-griffin fight where a kick to the knee changed the entire fight around.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                  I think it was the ramage-griffin fight where a kick to the knee changed the entire fight around.
                  Thank you. It's like people didn't just read this man is out 8 weeks before he can even train again. Knee injuries are no joke

Comment

...ban kneebars too and general low kicks as well. Have to protect the knee right!

Pedro Rizzo injured Dan Severn with a low kick to the knee...ban all low kicks.

MVP fractured Cyborg Santos' skull with a jumping knee strike and ended his career....ban all jumping knees.

Ban all strikes and submissions actually... They are intended to cause damage.

Comment

Working...
                    X