No announcement yet.

Cuban fighters taking a lot of L's lately

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too many L’s. Got me gnashing my teeth. Lol

I didn’t see the fight last night but, Barthelemy, who I believed was amongst the best we currently have, by all accounts didn’t show up against Relikh. I mean, Rances is usually aggressive, but I understand he barely even threw punches. Just strange.

Rigo was a complete embarrassment versus Lomo. I’d rather just forget that “fight” ever took place. Dorticos fought like a warrior, and lost against the better man in a terrific fight. Ortiz also fought valiantly and gave Wilder a real run for his money. Barrera was simply outclassed. Not much to say there. At least Sullivan always comes to fight. I’d like my boys to catch a break soon. Lol

Lara is one of my least favorite Cubans. Just a boring guy to watch. Same thing over and over, and not enough activity. Yet, he’s turned out to be the most successful of the bunch. I hope he beats Hurd, but mainly because I want the bleeding to stop.

My belief is that most of these Cuban fighters have simply spent too much time in the amateurs. Maybe they’re just not elite quality (aside from Gamboa and Rigo, who, despite his last appearance, was unquestionably elite). Ortiz isn’t elite. He just happens to be up there in this current heavyweight environment. But even now it’s difficult for Cuban athletes to get off the island. And fighters, who don’t have nearly the same opportunities as baseball players, have it much worse. There are some fighters remaining in Cuba that should make some noise in the pros, but they suffer from the same challenges as their predecessors: too much amateur time and advancing age.

I take solace in the fact that, despite having relatively few fighters in the professional ranks, Cubans have been disproportionately represented. Our guys have managed to contend at the highest levels and grab some belts. I’m okay with that. Our fortunes will turn positive soon enough. A champion will rise....

Comment

Originally posted by pesticid View Post
      Great post! They perform great in Cuba because they don't have the business side of things, the temptations an all of that. They just worry about the sport and they have a great teaching system. In the U.S. it's just different. Not to make excuses but that's how it is, also the fact that the ones competing here were never the best in Cuba except for Rigo and Lara and Sullivan was 36, Rigo was 36, Ortiz was 38. You get a bad batch at a bad time losing to the best fighters in the world, what are you gonna do?
      Good post. A lot of people here don’t have a clue as to the political situation on the island. They think Cubans can travel freely, like most other people around the world. Most of these fighters came to the US after the age of 25. Some of them already in their late prime, or past-prime. The boxers currently representing Cuba in the WSB are on the same track. That’s life...or at least Cuban life.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
        Good post. A lot of people here don’t have a clue as to the political situation on the island. They think Cubans can travel freely, like most other people around the world. Most of these fighters came to the US after the age of 25. Some of them already in their late prime, or past-prime. The boxers currently representing Cuba in the WSB are on the same track. That’s life...or at least Cuban life.
        At least the boxers representing Cuba are top notch talent and in their prime with very few exceptions.

People are clamoring over Naoya Inoue and I remember years ago as an amateur he was completely outclassed by Yovany Veitia, who is the current world champ at 52 kilos but not close to being the best on the Cuban team.

Right now we have Anthony Joshua who is the heavyweight champ in the world but I remember in 2012 Olympic games in London, he clearly lost every second of every round against Erislandy Savon who is the current champ at 91 kilos. Savon was robbed of course. The fight is on youtube. And Savon just like Veitia is not even close to being the best on the Cuban team.

Robeisy Ramirez has beat both Shakur Stevenson and Conlan and has a style that is greatly suited for the pro game.

Andy Cruz, another current world Champ at 64 kilos is still undefeated at WSB and again has a great style for the pro game.

The best talent of them all, he's almost past his prime now is La Cruz who doesn't have the best style for the pro game but I can say he's even a better talent than Rigo.

So again, it comes to who comes to U.S and how close they are to their prime.

Ortiz used to be the whipping boy for Solis in Cuba.

Barthelemy I've never head of in Cuba, I'm not sure what his background is but he's never won in Cuba.

Sullivan Barrera, I know he won the gold at the world as a junior but then he never won at senior level in Cuba.

Dorticos, last he fought in Cuba he lost to La Cruz at 178.

Rigo, Lara and Gamboa were the best talents and while not the best suited for the pro game, they were in their prime when they came to U.S. Right now they are past it.

Comment

I like Lara but there's a chance the huge and crude Hurd steamrolls him. Interesting fight, Hurd will be all over him all night marching forward.

Comment

At least the boxers representing Cuba are top notch talent and in their prime with very few exceptions.

People are clamoring over Naoya Inoue and I remember years ago as an amateur he was completely outclassed by Yovany Veitia, who is the current world champ at 52 kilos but not close to being the best on the Cuban team.

Right now we have Anthony Joshua who is the heavyweight champ in the world but I remember in 2012 Olympic games in London, he clearly lost every second of every round against Erislandy Savon who is the current champ at 91 kilos. Savon was robbed of course. The fight is on youtube. And Savon just like Veitia is not even close to being the best on the Cuban team.

Robeisy Ramirez has beat both Shakur Stevenson and Conlan and has a style that is greatly suited for the pro game.

Andy Cruz, another current world Champ at 64 kilos is still undefeated at WSB and again has a great style for the pro game.

The best talent of them all, he's almost past his prime now is La Cruz who doesn't have the best style for the pro game but I can say he's even a better talent than Rigo.

Barthelemy I've never head of in Cuba, I'm not sure what his background is but he's never won in Cuba.

Sullivan Barrera, I know he won the gold at the world as a junior but then he never won at senior level in Cuba.

Rigo, Lara and Gamboa were the best talents and while not the best suited for the pro game, they were in their prime when they came to U.S. Right now they are past it.
            It’s always encouraging when you have major amateur talent, but we’ve seen that it doesn’t always translate to the pros. It increases the odds of success, but it’s hard to predict who will become a real power. And, as you pointed out, some of the guys who didn’t find success in Cuba found it in the US (and elsewhere).

Ramirez, who was one of the talents I most wanted to see defect, is already 24. Not too old — now — but who knows when he’ll get a chance to split? Let’s say it’s in two years. By that time he’ll have spent a large amount of time in amateur-style systems, and suffered the ensuing negative conditioning I mentioned. Then he’ll have to spend a few years adjusting to the pros and amassing a record. By then he could easily be 30. I’d really rather see our best fighting for belts a few years earlier than that, as a lot of others do.

Comment

Real bad slump for Cubans right now the only ones they have left is Lara and Ugas.

Comment

Robeisy is a beast and imo has the best style suited for the pros, I would love to see him turn professional.

Comment

Cuban boxing is rich and among the best in the world in the amateurs.

But thats about it.

Comment

Their style dosen't translate well to the pros.

Comment

hopefully hurd flushes out the turd that is Lara

Comment

Working...
                      X