Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Energy drinks: What are the health risks?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I drink Japanese green tea in the morning, and that does it for me. Red bull gives me headaches. But red bull girls in Japan are hot.

Comment

I think the issues with energy drinks is? That over time your body can become accustomed to them (And that is something that any athlete does not want! At the end of the day caffeine does not produce energy, it just stimulates your nervous system! It is completely useless in my opinion. I have just looked at the ingredients of Monster Energy drinks, if that drink did not have caffeine in it? Maybe it would be ok for some people! Yes there is caffeine in Green/Black tea but these teas also contain a amino called L-theanine which counter acts the effects of Caffiene! Also Black Tea can actually lower cortisol, WELL no! It does lower cortisol and improves your cortisol response to exercise!

Black Tea and Stress.

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/media/library/tea

Joe Calzaghe used to drink a lot of black tea during his training camps, there was once a documentary showing him drinking it pre and post workout!

But for me personally I don't drink any teas, I have been there and done that in the past!
      Last edited by PRINCEKOOL; 10-28-2017, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Zero sugar ones are fine imo. As with most things its all about moderation

Comment

Energy and Sports Drinks

Energy and sports drinks are not bad totally bad in the body, but if you take it in an excessive amount, then you can experience adverse effects.

It is designed to aid the body recover during stress and other strenuous activities, but it is still best to drink lots of water and eat the right kind of food to replenish the energy lost along the process.

Comment

Originally posted by jmoran92 View Post
            Energy and sports drinks are not bad totally bad in the body, but if you take it in an excessive amount, then you can experience adverse effects.

It is designed to aid the body recover during stress and other strenuous activities, but it is still best to drink lots of water and eat the right kind of food to replenish the energy lost along the process.
            What would you consider excessive?

Comment

I know it definitely raises your blood pressure. I need to start cutting back now.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                Caffeine can cause major health conditions, including problems with heart and blood vessels, the National Institutes of Health has warned.

One couple apparently learned that the hard way when the husband was left with a hole in his skull and suffered a brain hemorrhage after what doctors said was “excessive energy drink consumption,” his wife claimed.

The number of energy drink-related emergency room visits doubled between 2007 and 2011, especially among people over the age of 40, according to the NIH.

What are some risks associated with energy drinks?

Energy drinks “can be dangerous because large amounts of caffeine may cause serious heart rhythm, blood flow and blood pressure problems,” NIH has warned.

Researchers with the American Heart Association have warned that energy drinks can be “life threatening” – especially for those with already high blood pressure or cardiac issues.

Energy drinks can also disrupt sleep patterns, cause heart palpitations and anxiety, contribute to digestive programs, increase blood pressure and lead to dehydration, according to the NIH.

ENERGY DRINKS COULD INCREASE RISK OF COCAINE USE, STUDY FINDS

The drinks have led to death. Earlier this year, a South Carolina teenager died after consuming an excessive amount of caffeine in a short amount of time.

Children with still-developing cardiovascular and nervous systems are also at risk as caffeine could harm them. The American Academy of Pediatrics said children should “never” consume energy drinks.

Is mixing alcohol and energy drinks especially dangerous?
                Experts warn against mixing energy drinks and alcohol as it may inhibit young adults’ ability to tell their level of intoxication. The NIH estimated that about 25 percent of college students mix alcohol and energy drinks and binge-drink “significantly more” than others.

What ingredients are commonly found in energy drinks?
                Caffeine and sugar are ingredients typically found in energy drinks, according to the University of Maryland’s Legal Resource Center for Public Health Policy. The center said that the drinks contain “large amounts of sugar comparable to sodas and fruit drinks,” as well as artificial sweeteners.

WHY ENERGY DRINKS ARE HARMING YOUR KIDS

Taurine, an amino acid, is also often found in energy drinks, the center said. It’s added as a “caffeine adjuvant” which aids the effects of caffeine. Other common ingredients – guarana, kola nuts and yerba matè – also can contain caffeine or other caffeine stimulants, the center found.

What are some alternatives to energy drinks?
                To stay energized without the use of an energy drink, Villanova University recommends eating a balanced breakfast and foods with soy. The school also recommends drinking water and green tea.

Comment

Oh yes, the youngins and their energy drinks. Todays energy drinks are ****! You've had the best drink for energy in front of your faces for your entire life. You want energy? Simply drink some V8...…..Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                    Oh yes, the youngins and their energy drinks. Todays energy drinks are ****! You've had the best drink for energy in front of your faces for your entire life. You want energy? Simply drink some V8...…..Rockin'
                    I took your advice, found out the hard way that V8 makes me rip monster farts.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                      I took your advice, found out the hard way that V8 makes me rip monster farts.
                      But you were energized while you were ripping those monster farts. Anyway, farting is not illegal in the ring...…...Rockin'

Comment

Working...
                      X