No announcement yet.

Today's youth - the tumblr generation

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today's youth - the tumblr generation

Dye your hair week-to-week, bleach your brows, spit and make a GIF, eat Taco Bell, be a moody teen, listen to pop punk, hang out with your pet rat, wear a bindi, get high and blog on: meet the children of the internet. They've migrated from MySpace and MSN to Tumblr, spawning a new subculture that crosses over from digital into reality. They're nostalgic for the early internet (RIP GeoCities) and late-nineties/early-millenia pop culture, appropriating elements from punk, cybergoth and rave: nose chains, blue lipstick, crop tops and creepers. They're cyber-scenesters: the Club Kids of 2012. We track down the most exciting and influential Tumblr Kids: Molly Soda, Clairey Pear, Hot Sugar, Ultrademon, GHOAST, Reem, Teen Witch and ZOMBELLE.

Molly Soda

Ingrid Kesa: Why do you love the internet so much?

Molly Soda: At this point I don't know if it's love or emotional dependence. I've been actively using the internet since I was eleven years old, so perhaps it's a little bit of both.

Use an emoticon to describe your day:

~^.^~

What's your favourite piece of clothing?

I try not to put much value on any of my articles of clothing, because they all come and go so quickly… If I had to choose I'd say a scarf I sewed out of stuffed animal rats, or maybe this green bikinitop I've been wearing as a bra for the past couple of months.

What colour is your hair at the moment?

It's purple and pink, but I think I'm gonna dye it black today.

Do your parents know that you're an internet celebrity?

I think they have some sort of vague idea. I don't think they really care though.

Is it weird when people on the street recognise you?

No, it's actually really fun/funny, but only if they actually say 'hi' and stop and talk to me. I'm usually more awkward than they are — I just smile and look down a lot, because I don't know what to say and I'm scared they're suddenly disappointed that IRL me isn't what they expect or something.

What music are you into?

I like everything from Riot Grrl to twee to pop punk to Britney Spears. I mostly wanna hear female voices though.

Who was your role model when you were growing up?

Gwen Stefani, for sure. I used to always think, "What would Gwen Stefani do?" to get me through really embarrassing or awkward moments in school… She's always just seemed to have this air about her that she could handle anything. She was also a huge style influence for me — when she was rocking the pink hair and braces during Return of Saturn I went out and bought a pink wig and wore it to school.

Did you ever have MySpace?

Yes! I actually deleted it the day I lost my virginity.

What would a perfect date for you involve?

I don't know. I'm sick of dating. I'd rather just hang out with my friends and drive around blasting music and chain-smoking and maybe walking aimlessly around a suburban mall for a few hours drinking Slurpees.

http://oystermag.com/oyster-feature-...blr-generation

--------------

The legacy of left-wing politics, ladies & gentlemen.

Spoiled petulant Western brats.

I'd like to drop them all off in Mogadishu.

Comment

There is a point to what you say as far as how the generations have changed because of the internet. At the same time to equate that to liberal policies is idiotic.

I think people of all political spectrums have very different lives. She is a small minority in the bigger scheme of things, and the fact it bothers you so much is hilarious. She isn't doing anyone any harm other than maybe herself, but we all needed time to grow up and mature.

I'm sure she will as well once real life hits her in the face. Or maybe her parents are wealthy and she will grow up like many spoiled, conservative brats that are raised by staunch republicans living in a world that is very different than our own. Like the kids of Mitt Romney for example....

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
        There is a point to what you say as far as how the generations have changed because of the internet. At the same time to equate that to liberal policies is idiotic.

I think people of all political spectrums have very different lives. She is a small minority in the bigger scheme of things, and the fact it bothers you so much is hilarious. She isn't doing anyone any harm other than maybe herself, but we all needed time to grow up and mature.

I'm sure she will as well once real life hits her in the face. Or maybe her parents are wealthy and she will grow up like many spoiled, conservative brats that are raised by staunch republicans living in a world that is very different than our own. Like the kids of Mitt Romney for example....
        Millions of teens use tumblr (and facebook, twitter etc etc). I'm not bothered by her, I'm bothered by this generation of wimps.

These kids are the end result of weak, spineless parents... who are the product of the 60's generation (left-wing cultural revolution). They are off in their own little world, smoking weed & not giving a **** about anything (apathy). That's very left-wing.

Despite Romney's religious background, I'd rather come from a family like that than have parents/grandparents who are still feeling the damage of the LSD they ingested 5/6 decades ago.

If you can't see that this generation is the end result of leftist politics then you're hopeless.

Comment

Originally posted by takingaim View Post
          Millions of teens use tumblr (and facebook, twitter etc etc). I'm not bothered by her, I'm bothered by this generation of wimps.

These kids are the end result of weak, spineless parents... who are the product of the 60's generation (left-wing cultural revolution). They are off in their own little world, smoking weed & not giving a **** about anything (apathy). That's very left-wing.

Despite Romney's religious background, I'd rather come from a family like that than have parents/grandparents who are still feeling the damage of the LSD they ingested 5/6 decades ago.

If you can't see that this generation is the end result of leftist politics then you're hopeless.
          First off, if they were having kids in the 1960's, that has nothing to do with todays generation. More like the parents of the 90's are the kids of today, do the math.

The "liberal, left wing hippies" you talk about, actually gave birth to the "ME generation of the 80's that spawned a lot of the wall street, yuppie conservative, young republicans. I remember reading an interesting piece on it.

So you couldn't be more wrong.

I wouldn't want anything to do with Romney. He is a person who worships money, lives in a fairy tale world and thinks we came from the planet Kolob and need to wear magical underwear.

No thanks.

Comment

“Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.”

-Socrates

Every generation thinks that the generation(s) that follow them are the ruination of society. The truth is that there are kids out there, the same percentage from previous generations, that you aren't seeing and they are tearing **** up. They are the future inventors and pioneers, the real brains of their generation. These fools that you are posting about are no different then the hipsters, hippies, beatniks or any of the previous American era degenerates. You can't judge a generation solely on it's least impressive members.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankSucketts View Post
              “Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.”

-Socrates

Every generation thinks that the generation(s) that follow them are the ruination of society. The truth is that there are kids out there, the same percentage from previous generations, that you aren't seeing and they are tearing **** up. They are the future inventors and pioneers, the real brains of their generation. These fools that you are posting about are no different then the hipsters, hippies, beatniks or any of the previous American era degenerates. You can't judge a generation solely on it's least impressive members.
              Can't believe I agree with you but....I do. great post.

Comment

Spoiled petulant Western brats.

I'd like to drop them all off in Mogadishu.
                ok so now your fantasizing about innocent peoples death? Arent u the kid who had his panties in a wad over innocent lives in that car accident thread

Comment

Can't believe I agree with you but....I do. great post.
                  Why can you not believe it?

Comment

Dye your hair week-to-week, bleach your brows, spit and make a GIF, eat Taco Bell, be a moody teen, listen to pop punk, hang out with your pet rat, wear a bindi, get high and blog on: meet the children of the internet. They've migrated from MySpace and MSN to Tumblr, spawning a new subculture that crosses over from digital into reality. They're nostalgic for the early internet (RIP GeoCities) and late-nineties/early-millenia pop culture, appropriating elements from punk, cybergoth and rave: nose chains, blue lipstick, crop tops and creepers. They're cyber-scenesters: the Club Kids of 2012. We track down the most exciting and influential Tumblr Kids: Molly Soda, Clairey Pear, Hot Sugar, Ultrademon, GHOAST, Reem, Teen Witch and ZOMBELLE.

Molly Soda

Ingrid Kesa: Why do you love the internet so much?

Molly Soda: At this point I don't know if it's love or emotional dependence. I've been actively using the internet since I was eleven years old, so perhaps it's a little bit of both.

Use an emoticon to describe your day:

~^.^~

What's your favourite piece of clothing?

I try not to put much value on any of my articles of clothing, because they all come and go so quickly… If I had to choose I'd say a scarf I sewed out of stuffed animal rats, or maybe this green bikinitop I've been wearing as a bra for the past couple of months.

What colour is your hair at the moment?

It's purple and pink, but I think I'm gonna dye it black today.

Do your parents know that you're an internet celebrity?

I think they have some sort of vague idea. I don't think they really care though.

Is it weird when people on the street recognise you?

No, it's actually really fun/funny, but only if they actually say 'hi' and stop and talk to me. I'm usually more awkward than they are — I just smile and look down a lot, because I don't know what to say and I'm scared they're suddenly disappointed that IRL me isn't what they expect or something.

What music are you into?

I like everything from Riot Grrl to twee to pop punk to Britney Spears. I mostly wanna hear female voices though.

Who was your role model when you were growing up?

Gwen Stefani, for sure. I used to always think, "What would Gwen Stefani do?" to get me through really embarrassing or awkward moments in school… She's always just seemed to have this air about her that she could handle anything. She was also a huge style influence for me — when she was rocking the pink hair and braces during Return of Saturn I went out and bought a pink wig and wore it to school.

Did you ever have MySpace?

Yes! I actually deleted it the day I lost my virginity.

What would a perfect date for you involve?

I don't know. I'm sick of dating. I'd rather just hang out with my friends and drive around blasting music and chain-smoking and maybe walking aimlessly around a suburban mall for a few hours drinking Slurpees.

http://oystermag.com/oyster-feature-...blr-generation

--------------

The legacy of left-wing politics, ladies & gentlemen.

First off, if they were having kids in the 1960's, that has nothing to do with todays generation. More like the parents of the 90's are the kids of today, do the math.

The "liberal, left wing hippies" you talk about, actually gave birth to the "ME generation of the 80's that spawned a lot of the wall street, yuppie conservative, young republicans. I remember reading an interesting piece on it.

So you couldn't be more wrong.

I wouldn't want anything to do with Romney. He is a person who worships money, lives in a fairy tale world and thinks we came from the planet Kolob and need to wear magical underwear.

No thanks.
                    Originally posted by FrankSucketts View Post

-Socrates

the bottom line is that kids are stupid, when i was their age it was the same. older people looked the same way at me in my flannel shirt with hair down to my ass as i do today at a pierced kid with a gambian pouched rat on a leash, except, lol, now they're the age of my kids. the Socrates post above and the one about the ME generation were great posts

Comment

Working...
                    X