Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do American Referees no longer use KDs or standing 8s?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do American Referees no longer use KDs or standing 8s?

This is shocking. After the travesty of Kov v Ward 2, we get May v Mac, yes the latter was triing horribly but whatever happened to KDs? Whatever happened to "if the ropes hold you up, that's a KD"? Why are referees no long administring counts?

Can American fans who watch more regualr US boxing matches fill me in. Is this the case in small hall shows too or just big events?

2-3 more seconds and Mcnugget would have been out on his face, the ref saved the last 2 flush shots from the landing.

Conor was done.

Comment

Should have let it continue. Premature stoppage for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by mrpain81 View Post
        2-3 more seconds and Mcnugget would have been out on his face, the ref saved the last 2 flush shots from the landing.

Conor was done.
        How do you know this? Can you see the future?

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
          This is shocking. After the travesty of Kov v Ward 2, we get May v Mac, yes the latter was triing horribly but whatever happened to KDs? Whatever happened to "if the ropes hold you up, that's a KD"? Why are referees no long administring counts?

Can American fans who watch more regualr US boxing matches fill me in. Is this the case in small hall shows too or just big events?
          There was no standing 8 count rule in this fight.

This said, the whole deal with the "ropes hold you up" happens if you get hit with a shot/combo that knocks you back so hard that you would have gone down had the ropes not been there. That didn't happen.

In this case, it was the volume of flush, UNANSWERED punches that results in a stoppage. It's the fighters job to actually fight back to show they're still in the fight.

This is why Bradley/Provodnikov was allowed to continue despite Bradley being clearly out on his feet and concussed. He was still swinging back the entire time.

McGregor's hands were down, he wasn't swinging back. He wasn't just tired, he was out on his feet, thus why he didn't protest at the time of stoppage.

Comment

Originally posted by mrpain81 View Post

Conor was done.
            Originally posted by revelated View Post
            There was no standing 8 count rule in this fight.

This said, the whole deal with the "ropes hold you up" happens if you get hit with a shot/combo that knocks you back so hard that you would have gone down had the ropes not been there. That didn't happen.

In this case, it was the volume of flush, UNANSWERED punches that results in a stoppage. It's the fighters job to actually fight back to show they're still in the fight.

This is why Bradley/Provodnikov was allowed to continue despite Bradley being clearly out on his feet and concussed. He was still swinging back the entire time.

McGregor's hands were down, he wasn't swinging back. He wasn't just tired, he was out on his feet, thus why he didn't protest at the time of stoppage.
            I understand some states don't have the standing 8 count rule but a fighter sagging against the ropes can be called a kd and the fighter given a count. That's boxing, please dont make me explain why.

In fact, when the ref stepped in, Mayweather missed his 2 punches just before that, so on what basis did he stop it? Mac stumbled because he was tired. Even then, give him the count, let him continue, if May lands a few more, then wave it off by all means but these days, in the US, as soon ast he house fighter gains some leverage, referees seem to forget decades of work and forget KDs exist.

Absolute joke.

Heck byrd, who I labeled a good ref before the fightSHOWED HIS colours in the opening of the fight when he only spoke to mac.

Land of the corrupt.

Comment

The Association of Boxing Commission's unified rules removed the standing 8 count in 1998. So yes, referees in the US no longer administer them.

You don't get called a KD for getting your ass beat on the ropes. Those types of KDs are called only if the ropes are holding you up. AKA, if you would have certainly hit the deck had the ropes not been there, then the ref can call a knockdown. Usually this is when the fighter gets wobbled and falls back into the ropes.
              Last edited by BrometheusBob.; 08-27-2017, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                I understand some states don't have the standing 8 count rule but a fighter sagging against the ropes can be called a kd and the fighter given a count. That's boxing, please dont make me explain why.

In fact, when the ref stepped in, Mayweather missed his 2 punches just before that, so on what basis did he stop it? Mac stumbled because he was tired. Even then, give him the count, let him continue, if May lands a few more, then wave it off by all means but these days, in the US, as soon ast he house fighter gains some leverage, referees seem to forget decades of work and forget KDs exist.

Absolute joke.

Heck byrd, who I labeled a good ref before the fightSHOWED HIS colours in the opening of the fight when he only spoke to mac.

Land of the corrupt.
                Don't go there.

Byrd gave McGregor a pass on MULTIPLE occasions he could have had points docked. Hammer fists on the back of the head, wrestling, two low blows, etc.

As to the bold, let me try to get you to understand this.

Conor McGregor ate FLUSH, UNANSWERED power shots for a WHOLE MINUTE.

Now maybe you haven't watched boxing before, but there are multiple such instances where fights in BOXING are stopped when you take too much punishment - and these are guys who at least were trying to block, just couldn't.

Porter/Malignaggi
                Ward/Kovalev2
                Canelo/Angulo
                Golovkin/Brook
                Jacobs/Quillin
                Spence/Algieri
                Spence/Van Heerden
                Spence/Barrera
                Spence/Vargas
                Porter/Berto

Goes on and on. It happens all the time. Stop acting like this fight should somehow be different just because it's an MMA fighter. The rules are the rules.

Comment

ok so i get it, as ong as your american, you dont have to score kds

fine thats cool

Comment

Originally posted by revelated View Post
                    Don't go there.

Byrd gave McGregor a pass on MULTIPLE occasions he could have had points docked. Hammer fists on the back of the head, wrestling, two low blows, etc.

As to the bold, let me try to get you to understand this.

Conor McGregor ate FLUSH, UNANSWERED power shots for a WHOLE MINUTE.

Now maybe you haven't watched boxing before, but there are multiple such instances where fights in BOXING are stopped when you take too much punishment - and these are guys who at least were trying to block, just couldn't.

Porter/Malignaggi
                    Ward/Kovalev2
                    Canelo/Angulo
                    Golovkin/Brook
                    Jacobs/Quillin
                    Spence/Algieri
                    Spence/Van Heerden
                    Spence/Barrera
                    Spence/Vargas
                    Porter/Berto

Goes on and on. It happens all the time. Stop acting like this fight should somehow be different just because it's an MMA fighter. The rules are the rules.
                    a whole minute?

Jeff horn was eating way bigger shots for way longer than a minute and his face was a pummeled bloody mess...

Comment

Working...
                    X