No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Ellerbe on Mayweather/SHO Deal: This is Great for Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Onekrazyrican View Post
    Actually it means a lot. If they do the "All access" thing on CBS you can expect a lot of casual and even non boxing fans will be reached. Remember what the 24/7 series did for the Floyd/DLH fight. Those series might be getting old for us boxing fans who will watch the fight anyway but the reach of CBS/Showtime is a big thing. All they needed was someone who could maximize its potential and who better than Floyd.

Expect the "Money" alter ego to be at full force from now on. This is actually quite a big thing for the sport if he can manage to stay around for at least 3 of the proposed 6 fights.
    So do you think they're going to show "All Access" on 9 pm on select Monday nights? No, the last time they did that I think was for Cotto, and it was on Saturday at like 1 pm.

Comment

Originally posted by Pacdbest View Post
      Pac vs Floyd, 2-3 years ago should be great for boxing! But Floyd Ducks the Fight everyone wants him to take!

Fighting Guerrero in not Great!!! It's disappointing!

Honestly, most boxing fans including the Floyd fans have given up on that mythic Floyd-Manny fight and have moved on. Its you Manny fans that are stuck in 2009.

Comment

Everybody has there own opinion. But I think this kinda sucks. I'm use to watching all the big fights on hbo ppv. They find a way to give fights that big fight feel which add some much to the events. Show time doesn't deliver that same excitement factor. I hope they step up there game. And damn Floyd's pretty disloyal. Hbo helped that man make mils upon mils. They never should of fired Greenberg and brought in hershman or whatever his name is.

Comment

I'm going to be honest, I can't hate Floyd for this deal. I still hate the fight and I'm only ordering it for Canelo-Trout but this is the biggest move for the sport of boxing in the past decade. Competition is good, no it's great.

Comment

This move will catapult Floyd to greatest fighter status. Keep watching.

Comment

The only person this is good for is Floyd since SHOWTIME obviously got overexcited and threw more money at him than they probably should have. If HBO passed on securing Floyd's future fights then it had to be for a very good reason. Dont see HBO passing on hosting Floyd's fights unless he was overvaluing himself or requesting big money against mediocre comp. I have no idea how switching networks makes a difference for us fans.
              Last edited by Deevel916; 02-19-2013, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chibox123 View Post
                Everybody has there own opinion. But I think this kinda sucks. I'm use to watching all the big fights on hbo ppv. They find a way to give fights that big fight feel which add some much to the events. Show time doesn't deliver that same excitement factor. I hope they step up there game. And damn Floyd's pretty disloyal. Hbo helped that man make mils upon mils. They never should of fired Greenberg and brought in hershman or whatever his name is.
                Showtime has been lacking in a true, live boxing star and they got it with Floyd.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevel916 View Post
                  The only person this is good for is Floyd since SHOWTIME obviously got overexcited and threw more money at him than they probably should have. If HBO passed on securing Floyd's future fights then it had to be for a very good reason. Dont see HBO passing on hosting Floyd's fights unless he was overvaluing himself or requesting big money against mediocre comp.

I have heard that Mayweather's attorney's managed to include a deal point that includes REVENUE SHARING on all the telecasts.

Mayweather is going to receive a share of the ad-load revenue on each of his fights. That is immense.
                  Forget the fight purse, on the ad-rate sheet inventory he could make upwards of $50MM per fight.

For example, let's say CBS books a 30-second spot ad rate sheet @ $1MM per spot x 2 ads per rest period, and each fight goes 6 rounds minimum on average which is not unlikely because Mayweather is a counter puncher, not an offensive onslaught. Mayweather gets 20% of the rate sheet. 5 fights x 6 rounds = 30 total total rounds

30 rounds x 2 ad breaks = $60 Million total x 20% split = $12MM in the US market alone. Now multiply that number by the total countries CBS distributes the fight to (let's say 30) and now that number is $360,000,000!

Like Floyd said, Pacquaio isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. Pacquaio should have promoted himself and left Arum, because then he wouldn't have to be looking outside the U.S to stage a fight with an opponent not named Mayweather.

Comment

It looks like Sergio Martinez isn't part of the 6 fight deal. Here's what Ellerbe said to Kevin Iole:

"Floyd could beat any of them guys, from 140 to 147 and from 154 to 160," Ellerbe said. "I didn't say he was fighting at [middleweight], just that he could beat all them guys in those weights. We'll see what he chooses to do."

Source: Money man: Floyd Mayweather leaves HBO for lucrative deal with Showtime, will fight May 4

Comment

mayweather has a lot of blood sucking leeches around him. he is forced to look for greener pastures because of this. once the money stops flowing in, all those leeches will fade and mayweather will end up either in jail, on the street or dead (figuratively than literally)

Comment

Working...
                      X