No announcement yet.

CBS/Viacom merger is apparently being looked at

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBS/Viacom merger is apparently being looked at

With the potential of Showtime/CBS/SpikeTV/CBS Sports all formally under the same umbrella, Haymon et al making sure that the relationship with Espinoza is still rock-solid (with CBS and SpikeTV also being happy with their content) looks more and more like good business.

Sure. Both broadcasting powerhouses have invested into PBC. As long as the motto is to provide for more mainstream exposure the money put into will always have potential growth. Who else is doing it? if it has to restructure or to continue to wait for it to evolve then so be it. mainstream boxing atm cannot compete against traditional sports.

I think most people that don't like PBC are probably riffed ex employees at HBO, or even funnier, had "friends" at HBO and try to preserve the purity of nostalgic times...

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
      With the potential of Showtime/CBS/SpikeTV/CBS Sports all formally under the same umbrella, Haymon et al making sure that the relationship with Espinoza is still rock-solid (with CBS and SpikeTV also being happy with their content) looks more and more like good business.
      or they could drop boxing altogether

Comment

Originally posted by killakali View Post
        from a merger? that only makes their structure even stronger. the more brands you have the more marketing gain. I think the most important aspects with mainstream boxing is its commentary and how to push for a new generation while at the same time providing from the old or existing followers. Sugar Ray Leonard is a treat on its own, but it's not enough.

I think the best network that really shines in boxing is ESPN's Deportes. The camera work with Morales, Barrera, Marquez or Chavez. They know how to sell faces. PBC needs to do more with reminding people Leonard. Just like the way ESPN did with Atlas and his simulation rounds, Haymon needs a team to put something for Leonard and simulate some movements. This really makes a difference. Other sports, especially the NBA, have ruled in these strategies for network commentary.

Comment

The thought makes you smile, doesn't it?

Comment

Viacom owns Bellator FC, and Showtime has already invested a ton of money/time/effort into developing a longterm future for boxing, so I doubt that that is even an option.

nice try though

Comment

Originally posted by SugarKaineHook View Post
              from a merger? that only makes their structure even stronger. the more brands you have the more marketing gain. I think the most important aspects with mainstream boxing is its commentary and how to push for a new generation while at the same time providing from the old or existing followers. Sugar Ray Leonard is a treat on its own, but it's not enough.

I think the best network that really shines in boxing is ESPN's Deportes. The camera work with Morales, Barrera, Marquez or Chavez. They know how to sell faces. PBC needs to do more with reminding people Leonard. Just like the way ESPN did with Atlas and his simulation rounds, Haymon needs a team to put something for Leonard and simulate some movements. This really makes a difference. Other sports, especially the NBA, have ruled in these strategies for network commentary.
              With everything under a more consolidated banner, I see the likelihood of PBC personalities consolidating as well, the Showtime team (Al, Paulie and Mauro, with Brian Custer likely staying on as host; don't see the ShoBox team going anywhere either) will likely lead the way, with CBS Sports having their personalities (Gus Johnson, etc) filling in the coverage.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
                Viacom owns Bellator FC, and Showtime has already invested a ton of money/time/effort into developing a longterm future for boxing, so I doubt that that is even an option.

nice try though
                Not really. They have a year and a half at Spike. Cbs, besides the Thurman-Porter fight were paid for by PBC and no investment by CBS. The only long term investment is at Showtime.

With that said it could go either way. That is if this merger even happens

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                  The thought makes you smile, doesn't it?
                  u never know how it will go when companies merge. programs could get dropped

Comment

Originally posted by SugarKaineHook View Post

besides cross-marketing, with mergers comes consolidation. They could say Showtime has a long time invested in boxing and we will have all our boxing their, Bellator and MMA is Spike and leave it at that. CBS really has nothing invested. They had a few PBC shows they were paid to air and didn't pay for the production. The loan exception was Thurman-Porter which was paid by Showtime.

It is a very distinct possibility they just leave boxing on Showtime and reallocate their resources.

But again this merger isn't a done deal or even close to a done deal

Comment

Working...
                    X