Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good article on Angulo situation. Brings up Margarito.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good article on Angulo situation. Brings up Margarito.

The Angulo-Margarito Paradox •September 22, 2010 • Leave a Comment

Alfredo Angulo
    It seems that emerging junior middleweight star Alfredo Angulo (19-1, 16 KOs) is facing deportation to Mexico. It’s been suspected in boxing circles for some time that he’s had legal issues regarding his immigration status, but BoxingScene.com released a report this morning that verifies this hunch.

First off, the article, quite sensationally entitled “Alfredo Angulo’s U.S. Career Crumbles, HBO Walks,” is written by Michael Marley. Anyone familiar with Mr. Marley’s work will immediately recognize his penchant for histrionics. His assertion that he will never again fight in the U.S., or on a major television outlet, is questionable, if not laughable. Angulo and his team are going to seek a visa for re-entry after the legal issues are settled (and, to the best of my knowledge, are allowed to do so), and are otherwise cooperating with Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). And anyway, if Antonio Margarito can get back on television — in a headline, PPV fight, no less — then I would suspect Angulo will be able to do the same.

If HBO indeed refuses to work with Angulo, their rationale can be considered little better than a joke. The political climate around undocumented immigration is too polarized and “heated,” but it’s not too much to invite back a man who at least once, likely more often, entered the ring wearing loaded wraps? At least in terms of boxing legality, one of these offenses far outweighs the other. Since when did America’s political throes effect the viewing tendencies of boxing fans? If the experience of Mike Tyson is any indication, the boxing public will gladly welcome Angulo back into the limelight — if not on HBO, then certainly on Showtime or ESPN.

What’s more worrisome is Bob Arum’s reaction. His incredibly hostile reaction to the news, as reported in Marley’s article, indicates another ludicrous element of this story vis-a-vis Margarito. Arum is willing to stand behind a known cheater of the most nefarious ilk, but believes no one will touch an “illegal” immigrant. Granted, it’s apples and oranges — Top Rank doesn’t promote Angulo. This may still go south (no pun intended) promotionally for Angulo, given that Gary Shaw is already unhappy with him for his refusal to accept a $750,000 deal to fight middleweight champ Sergio Martinez. If it’s true that Shaw was left in the dark as to Angulo’s movements, and if the legal battle turns out to be unexpectedly difficult, this episode may provide an opportunity to dump him from his promotional lineup. I would bet against such a development.

I’m not naive. I know promoters lie and cheat and are hypocritical, but Arum’s unfailing commitment to a universally reprehensible character like Margarito and his conversely expressed concern for public sentiment in the case of a universally appreciated all-action fighter like Angulo is still unsettling, if not all-together sickening. Let’s hope Shaw doesn’t see things that way.

Considering the legal tussle Top Rank is now in with Golden Boy Promotions, maybe other promoters (such as Shaw) are wary about partaking in any protracted legal proceedings, and more so, about further undermining boxing’s suffering credibility. But regardless of Marley’s strong assertions, “El Perro” will be back, with or without HBO.

http://aaronkingonline.wordpress.com/

No it's not it's more rubbish from a hack sports reporter who once again injects his own opinions into a story and ends up coming off as another misguided message board loudmouth.

Comment

I wonder how this will play out. One of my uncles was deported to Mexico and he illegally came to the US. He was stopped because of a traffic violation and when it was discovered that he was here illegally, was immediately detained and handed over to ICE. He has been banned from the USA for 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by pistol whip View Post
        No it's not it's more rubbish from a hack sports reporter who once again injects his own opinions into a story and ends up coming off as another misguided message board loudmouth.
        Good points are brought up, and it's far better than the bull**** I read on here on a daily basis. Why don't you say something about it all instead of insulting people?

Comment

Originally posted by KingTito View Post
          Good points are brought up, and it's far better than the bull**** I read on here on a daily basis. Why don't you say something about it all instead of insulting people?
          Because it's not an objective article, and it seems to be something boxing journalists seem to do everytime I read a boxing article. It's hack journalism at it's best. When pro journaists use childish statements like "Margachito" and "How did he get back on telivision" they are not exactly being objective or even all out truthful about the mans situation. They are being judgmental and a real journalist allows his readers come to their own conclusions instead of sensationalizing their own opinions and downplaying fact after fact so they can insure that there opinions come off like the right ones.

It's journalism 101 for christ sake.

Comment

Originally posted by 2501 View Post
            I wonder how this will play out. One of my uncles was deported to Mexico and he illegally came to the US. He was stopped because of a traffic violation and when it was discovered that he was here illegally, was immediately detained and handed over to ICE. He has been banned from the USA for 10 years.
            thats the law, and the same thing will happen to angulo and theres no way around it.

Comment

Originally posted by DempseyRollin View Post
              thats the law, and the same thing will happen to angulo and theres no way around it.
              You work for the border patrol? Are you familiar with all things dealing with immigration laws?

Comment

why do people still use the logic of 'since so and so did something bad, then this is ok'?

Comment

Originally posted by pistol whip View Post
                  You work for the border patrol? Are you familiar with all things dealing with immigration laws?
                  If you re-enter the USA illegally after being deported, you're breaking federal law and you will either be sentenced to jail time or be immediately deported, but one thing is for sure, you will be banned from the US for a certain period or indefinitely. They also enforce a probationary period after the sentencing. It can range anywhere from 3-5 years. If the violator enters the states during that period, they automatically go to jail.

Comment

Originally posted by 2501 View Post
                    yea man, thats the sad realty. to be honest, angulo needs very important people to get him out of this mess right now. they claim that he was already deported back to mexico a few times but he kept sneaking back (you see thats what makes it so bad for him) if thats the case, they will try to detain him from coming here for life. he needs very important people to pull him out of this mess. everyone is turning their back on him already though
                    Last edited by americanbot; 09-22-2010, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X